• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by VetteLS5
    "Coming Soon"? Not sure... have any of the prior episodes of the show been prefaced by a snippet/announcement of this type? Followed by reference to a solo project song?

Coming Soon - Dave Solo. I think this is his way of announcing (ahead of the "announcement") that things are over with VH.
    There was a trailer for season 2, but I think without the solo project reference.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Coming Soon - Dave Solo. I think this is his way of announcing (ahead of the "announcement") that things are over with VH.
      Nah. Unless he's planning on calling his next solo CD The Roth Show.

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

"Coming Soon"? Not sure... have any of the prior episodes of the show been prefaced by a snippet/announcement of this type? Followed by reference to a solo project song?

Nothing to get all worked up about...

Dave just returned from Japan last month... once settled back in he got his camera guy and started goofing around the house due to boredom. They sent the raw stuff off to Shelly and she's produced another masterpiece.

When are y'all gonna learn there's really nothin mystical and magical going on... just a bored/hyperactive Rock Star filling time while the Van Lazies jack-off at home...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          was that from the Diamond Dave sessions
          That is not from the Diamond Dave sessions.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

while the Van Lazies jack-off at home...
            It's what true musical geniuses do.
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              It's what true musical geniuses do.
              And Internet Moguls..?

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

And Internet Moguls..?
                Yes, and don't forget tonite is the Tuesday Nite Circle Jerk. Warf's gonna be the monkey in the middle this week.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

No.

I will not.

You cannot make me.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    That is not from the Diamond Dave sessions.
                    Any idea when then? I feel like I've heard it before, a while back.

Comment

• TitanTopper
                      Groupie
                      • Mar 2012

I know you guys are going to trash me for this but, when I watch the old stuff of Dave before the '84 Tour...he was a badass. He seemed to be about kicking ass and taking names. Now, he just seems like a creepy, old uncle that you try to avoid at family reunions. I'm not the same as I was 30 yrs ago either, but "C'mon Dave. Give us a break!!" What happened to the Rock Star??

BTW, there's only one VH...and it's only with DLR.
                      "Hey man, that suit is you!!"

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                        Yes, and don't forget tonite is the Tuesday Nite Circle Jerk. Warf's gonna be the monkey in the middle this week.
                        Tuesday nites are out... Sons of Anarchy Season 7 takes precedent!! Plus it's Taco Tuesday!!

The Jerks™ will have to circle on their own...

BTW I think Mustang Sally was recorded back in 96 when Dave was in his Vegas era...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

BTW I think Mustang Sally was recorded back in 96 when Dave was in his Vegas era...
                          Nope. It was just recorded for Dave's new album called Songs Already Covered By Sam.

Comment

• Calderone
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2004

Yes i think its from the 90's sessions Seriously affected, Kicks, Crosstown traffic, Bad Habits, Ice Cream Man, Mustang Sally , Tramp , Aint that peculiar

Comment

• big fatty
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Calderone
                              i believe this comes from the 1993 sessions
                              - Kicks
                              - Aint that peculiar
                              - Seriously affected
                              - Crosstown Traffic
                              - Bad Habits
                              - Mustang Sally
                              Yeah that was also my take on it. In one of last years episodes they played a little bit of " My Old School " from Steely Dan which he did in the '95 Vegas shows. One would think they'd be from the same sessions but who knows for sure unless they show a credit.

Here's the setlist

Living In America (James Brown)
                              Panama
                              Nothin But The Blues
                              Ice Cream Man
                              Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
                              That's Life
                              Hard To Handle (Otis Redding)
                              Love TKO (Teddy Pendergrass)
                              My Old School (Steely Dan)
                              Jump
                              California Girls (Beach Boys)
                              Just A Gigolo (Louis Prima)

Here's an old review says it was a great show full of superb musicianship and variety but irrelevant.

Not much has changed 20 years later he's still grooving to the beat of his own drum irrelevant or not. Dave does what Dave wants and for the most part that's just fine and dandy with me.

On the first of his six-night engagement at Bally's on Thursday, David Lee Roth announced that he has been "wanting to play in Las Vegas a long, long time," conveniently forgetting that he was here several times as a member of Van Halen and once as a solo rock act.

Roth amusing as Vegas act, but*irrelevant

David Lee Renzi
                              Friday, June 25, 1995 | 3:21 a.m.

On the first of his six-night engagement at Bally's on Thursday, David Lee Roth announced that he has been "wanting to play in Las Vegas a long, long time," conveniently forgetting that he was here several times as a member of Van Halen and once as a solo rock act.

Roth is neither anymore, so maybe what he meant is that he's wanted to play Las Vegas as the performer he is now -- a short-haired interpreter of pop, blues, soul, mambo and swing tunes and the ever-grinning, social-commentating front man of a 14-piece band.

The good news is that around 700 people showed up to see his Strip debut. The bad news is that Bally's Celebrity Showroom seats 1,400. It must have been disheartening for Roth to see a half-empty theater, but he was outwardly optimistic, smiling that rictus smile of his for most of the 90-minute performance.

Based on the crowd's demographic makeup and its reaction to his show, it would appear that Roth's is an act without an audience. Clearly, the people who clamored to see him when he was lead singer of Van Halen deserted him here, and those who saw him Thursday -- many of them wrinkled and gray -- were little more than politely respectful.

That is less a reflection on Roth than it is on them, for Roth and his Blues-Bustin' Mambo Slammers -- which feature Edgar Winter on saxophone -- put on the type of variety show Las Vegas grew up on.

It had musicians playing their instruments onstage instead of on tape, a compendium of songs and styles, two nearly dressed dancers (one of Roth's few concessions to his past), an attractive female singer and Dave himself, mugging to and joking with the audience as he crisscrossed the stage in his matching black-and-white checkered bell-bottoms and vest.

True, it would have been nothing more than a good lounge act in the old days, but then almost nothing in Las Vegas is as it was. In that sense, the showroom is a good fit for Roth, who bears little resemblance to his former long-maned, high-kicking self.

Only once did he execute his famous spinning back kick, and he fittingly saved it for "Jump." It was one of the two Van Halen songs he offered ("Ice Cream Man" was the other) and the only song that noticeably defibrillated this mostly code-blue audience.

Roth's encore -- "you gotta cheer louder or I'm not coming back," he shouted from the wings -- was "Just a Gigolo," his popular remake of the song Louie Prima made famous.

Conclusion: Now that he's jettisoned most of his original material for the opportunity to tread well-worn musical styles and cover songs by James Brown ("Living in America") and Boz Scaggs ("Lido Shuffle"), Roth has become the consummate Vegas entertainer: talented and amusing but sadly irrelevant.

David Lee Roth

* WHEN: 9 tonight through Wednesday.

* WHERE: Bally's Celebrity Showroom.

* TICKETS: $38.50. Reserved seating can be obtained by calling the Bally's box office, 739-4567.

archive
                              Last edited by big fatty; 09-16-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• big fatty
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                                People joke about Dave coming 'full circle' with his bib over-alls look.
                                Out with the old bib-overalls and evolving into the trendy, industrial full coveralls!!
                                Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                Dave spends the big bucks and wears Carhart overalls.

Comment

Working...