X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DONNIEP
    I got through about 20 pages. A Hard DAY's night it isn't.

Looks more to me like 10 music videos with segues to link each other into a movie.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
      I loved nh BBQ as well. But pursuing the movie deal at the expense of Van Halen? That is all I am saying.

Pete might have been great for helping script a 1 or 2 minute intro to a video...quite another for a 90 minute feature film
      Nah, see I agree with you. I don't think the movie would have been worth Dave leaving VH. The movie thing was just one part of him deciding to leave.

And even I couldn't get thru 20 pages
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I think you're thinking too hard about it. It would have been fine. No one would have been harmed. All would have enjoyed themselves in the process and then they'd all get to say, "ok, what's next." no BFD.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

77 pages!? I'll take a look at the script on the train ride home.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure if he had gotten the thing off the ground it woulda been entertaining like the Picasso Bros videos. Which I still love. But regardless - movie, no movie - I think Dave was already on his way out. If you believe Mikey, Dave was already working with the EEAS band while VH was "attempting" to work up the new record. Ah, my head hurts.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
              Pete might have been great for helping script a 1 or 2 minute intro to a video...quite another for a 90 minute feature film
              How much experience did Diablo Cody, writer of Juno have? It won the Academy Award for best original screenplay and had 3 other Oscar nods. My point is, sometimes, artistic people pop up out of no where and hit a home run. If Dave and Pete hit a collective double or triple, but got left stranded on base, I'd say they still did alright.
              Last edited by DLR Bridge; 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure if he had gotten the thing off the ground it woulda been entertaining like the Picasso Bros videos. Which I still love. But regardless - movie, no movie - I think Dave was already on his way out. If you believe Mikey, Dave was already working with the EEAS band while VH was "attempting" to work up the new record. Ah, my head hurts.
                Yeah, the headaches aren't worth revisiting, but I can't believe that Dave was working with Vai before his final conversation with Ed.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                  Yeah, the headaches aren't worth revisiting, but I can't believe that Dave was working with Vai before his final conversation with Ed.
                  Yes, but that was because Ed wasn\t interested in the movie. Just listen to Dave on the last video...he is still drunk on the whole concept of a movie, even after it's utter failure
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

No he's not. The guy is just telling a tale of a time in his career. He had a blast with what turned out to be nothing. I hype my failed attempt at a career in music in the 1990's the very same way. Should I mope about it instead? Should he? Take a pill.

Comment

• VHscraps
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2009

From what Dave has said in the years since the movie adventure, it sounds like they weren't making much progress while they were working on it - he talks somewhere (maybe in his book, maybe it was an interview a long time after) about sitting around in an office trying to write the script, and it being a bit too much like work.

But, it didn't get cancelled - CBS Pictures went belly-up. Dave sued for damages, according to press stories in 85-86.
                      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                        I don't know, who knows? That's just what Mikey said in an interview. But it was only 9 months between the end of the 84 tour and Dave splitting. And CBS Pictures folded around 6 months after that. The timing kinda fits. I wish I knew when they started recording EEAS... Not that any of this matters - just something I've wondered about.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Scraps!! Fill in the gap for me.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

...I think Dave was already on his way out. If you believe Mikey, Dave was already working with the EEAS band while VH was "attempting" to work up the new record. Ah, my head hurts.
                            Dave may have been on his way out, but he wasn't with EEAS until it was pretty clear it was over, AFAIK...

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

He says the brothers wanted an extended hiatus to laze around the pool drinking too... He wanted to continue with the momentum ramped up.

'Wasting time isn't murder, it's suicide'. Alls I know is the next two Roth records were light years better than the van Hagar rubbish.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I just think that if this script was any good another studio would have been all over it.

I know both sides have a part in the split...I just don't understand the movie piece and it's importance to Dave. Only he knows, but it is looking like it was a very important consideration for him in the decision to leave VH.
                                Last edited by Romeo Delight; 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...