X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DystopianDude
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Feb 2011

Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock 'n' Roll

I was just wondering if anyone read this book exploring the aesthetic value of Van Halen and how it ties to Zen. I'd bet it'd be quite interesting.
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I bought it but haven't got round to reading it yet.

Haven't heard anyone on here who has.

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I got this book as a gift and read it within a few days. I really enjoyed it and posted a mini review in the other thread. Everybody should pick up a copy. The guy that wrote it did the VH article in Classic Rock (is that right, sorry if I got the title wrong) that a lot of you read. Dude knows his Van Halen.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Not sure I know what zen is
        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Just a lot of made up hippy shit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

John Cleese said he saw an ad in an LA newspaper which said 'How to use Buddhism to give you a competitive advantage!'

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I just googled it.Turns out it is also an internet service provider based in Rochdale in Greater Manchester,England.But I imagine this book is about the other Zen
              I really love you baby, I love what you've got
              Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

I've got the two books from Zloz, I still haven't finished his EVH book.....

But I've been cautious to make sure that if I buy a VH book that it isn't simply a bunch of cut and paste Guitar World and Circus articles....

Here is one review from Amazon....

I had been looking forward to buying this since reading the John Scanlan's cover story about Van Halen's '1984' in Classic Rock magazine last year. If you liked that, you'll also like this.

The first thing to say, though, is BUYER BEWARE. There are *no new interviews* in this book. It makes use of interview material you might be familiar with if you are a die-hard fan, but the book's not a biography, so the material crops up in unusual ways to suit different purposes that a conventional biographical narrative - a lot of the book is about trying to get into the state of mind of a time and place (Calif in the 70s) and the heads of the two main characters (EVH and DLR). The writer's a college professor, according to the cover - but it's an easy read, and never boring. I read it in one day.

An odd and fascinating book, really, about the 70s and the Southern California ... and Van Halen, and Ted Templeman, and Top Jimmy, and all sorts of other characters, etc etc.

Van Halen, really, are the like the main players at the centre of a wider story about the culture and music of those times. It even has a Soundtrack listed at the end, which includes lots of non-Van Halen songs - so, that's probably a good way to think about it. It's a bit like a film set in 1970-83, which flashes back to the early 60s, etc.

If you are interested in the deeper artistic motivations of David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen, then you'll probably find it pretty interesting. There are long chapters on Roth's Zen influences and how it fed into his creativity, and Eddie's 'brown' sound - but for what it reveals about his creative instincts. Also some good and rarely seen pics from the 70s

Oh, and don't buy it if you are a Van Hagar fan - I think Sammy Hagar is mentioned once in 220-odd pages. The first 200 pages are about the period up to 1983/84. There's a final chapter bringing things up to the 2007 reunion, but it's short and skates over the non-Dave years - the point being that the book is a really about Dave and Ed and what made them the artists and performers they are.
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Yount
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2012

zen = hippie lol good one, that's like saying Hagar = rock

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                    Oh, and don't buy it if you are a Van Hagar fan [/I]
                    Because you will need opposable thumbs to open it...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Click!

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

My copy should arrive sometime tomorrow... We'll see.
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm always interested in the "deeper artistic motivations" of Dave and Ed. It's just that I'd prefer to hear it from the horses mouth. Think I still may ask Santa for this book, though.

I still wonder where the author got the info (in his Classic Rock piece) about the band almost putting a version of the old sea shanty, Blow The Man Down, on 1984. That article was the only place I'd ever heard that little rumor.

Comment

• Coyote
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

I like it. Well written, and it gives a clue to why VH is still so goddamn interesting...
                            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

Working...