X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Happy 22nd Birthday "A Little Ain't Enough" - 1/15/91

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMNa1xqSwng?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMNa1xqSwng?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1/15/91

David Lee Roth releases A Little Ain't Enough. David Lee Roth's third full-length solo album after his departure from Van Halen. It began its 19-week run on the charts on 2/02/91 (U.S.) and 1/26/91 (U.K.). It reached its highest chart position on 2/16/91 at U.S. #18 and 1/26/91 at U.K. #4. Tracks: • A Lil' Ain't Enough • Shoot It • Lady Luck • Hammerhead Shark • Tell the Truth • Baby's on Fire • 40 Below • Sensible Shoes • Last Call • The Dogtown Shuffle • It's Showtime! • Drop in the Bucket. Rumors surrounded the auditions for the album. People wondered who would be the next in a line of guitar heroes to play for Dave. Jason Becker, one of the little-known guitarists in Cacophony (Marty Friedman, later of Megadeth, was the other), sent in a demo tape that included "Hot for Teacher," "Skyscraper," and "Panama." He was asked to audition in person. He performed "Hot for Teacher," "Panama," "Just a Gigolo," "Yankee Rose," as well as some new songs and won the nod to fill the slot. At first Dave and the band stayed at a luxury hotel while recording in Vancouver, British Columbia. However, when he noticed how other bands staying at the same hotel were being pampered, Dave insisted that his band stay at the worst hotel possible while recording the album (Dave's room cost $15 per night). Dave felt that it would give the album a harder edge. The original name of the album was Cut 'n Out, but some thought the artwork on the cover, a devil with scissors positioned in a precarious way, was a little too suggestive. Bob Rock produced the album after having just completed Metallica's self-titled album. The album was recorded at Little Mountain Studios where AC/DC was recording next door with producer Bruce Fairbairn. Angus Young inspired at least one solo, on the song "Last Call." Jason was asked to contribute any new material he had written, so he presented "Drop in the Bucket" and "It's Showtime!," which ended the album. Rob Nevil (Nevil Brothers) and Craig Goldy (Dio) were also used as songwriters on the album. Steve Hunter, referred to Roth by Becker, was brought in to play slide guitar. Dave built huge climbing walls in the studio so he could enjoy his rock climbing hobby while working on the album. Shortly after recording the album, Jason Becker's health took a turn for the worse as a result of ALS. Though he had been experiencing symptoms before the recording of the album, the symptoms got worse and he could not to tour with Dave. The year 1991 was a notorious one for bad concert turnouts. Dave suffered from this. Even though his show offered Extreme and Cinderella as opening acts, it wasn't enough, and ticket prices were slashed. Eventually, the tour was cut short. Videos from this album included "A Lil' Ain't Enough," "Sensible Shoes," and "Tell the Truth." Dave really went all out for the first video, "A Lil' Ain't Enough." It featured close to 90 women (in various states of undress), eight little people, a huge wall of Marshall amps (later recreated on the tour), and a remix of the song. Dave once commented that much of the video's script was improvised, including his idea of filming himself being massaged by five Asian women. Soon after the video's debut, Dave hosted a segment on MTV wearing the same high suspenders shown in the video. Dave also commented about the ending of the video, which shows him on October 10, 2021 during his final tour. He is shown as an old, fat, spandex-clad cowboy. According to Roth this is not what he expects of himself, but what others expect of him - to die like Elvis. The video for "Sensible Shoes" was much more low-key. It was filmed entirely in black and white and included only a few of Dave's trademark women. The women in this video were later featured in a cable special about how women are portrayed in rock videos. The video for "Tell the Truth" featured live footage from the 1991 A Little Ain't Enough tour. It was also filmed entirely in black and white. This is the only video from this album in which other members of the band are shown. The tour featured Joe Holmes (who later went on to replace Zakk Wylde in Ozzy Osbourne) and Dezi Rexx of D'Molls fame. Rexx was fired shortly after the tour began. He never stated why he was fired but later teamed with Danny Johnson of Private Life (who replaced Steve Vai in Alcatrazz) to work on a demo produced by Andy Johns (who had just finished producing Van Halen's F.U.C.K. album).
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

This is the kinda birthday that just makes me feel old and proves that time flies at warp speed. Happy Birthday ALAE!

I believe Pete Angelus directed the "Shoes" video, as well as the Black Crowes "She Talks To Angels" around the same time.

" He never stated why he was fired but later teamed with Danny Johnson of Private Life (who replaced Steve Vai in Alcatrazz) to work on a demo produced by Andy Johns (who had just finished producing Van Halen's F.U.C.K. album)." And Private Life was produced by EVH and toured with Van Hagar in '89. There has always been a link between Dave and Ed. All roads lead back to classic Van Halen!

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

22 years fucking jumping methuselahs I feel old hearing that .
      Happy birthday ya old bastid your still my fav dlr solo album .
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

This album got me through the misery of the grunge years.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2007

that album came out before i could legally drink?
          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Just think; when this album was recorded, Jason Becker had just been given a prognosis of a 5-year life expectancy...and he's still here, still writing music.
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              This is the kinda birthday that just makes me feel old and proves that time flies at warp speed. Happy Birthday ALAE!

" He never stated why he was fired but later teamed with Danny Johnson of Private Life (who replaced Steve Vai in Alcatrazz)
              I don't know if 'replaced Steve Vai' is the right way to word that.

Admittedly a tough gig following Vai and Malmsteen but 'failed in his attempt to replace Vai' may be more accurate from what I heard.

I think that it's very likely that Dezi Rexx was fired for asking for more money once the tour began being the unnamed guitarist who Dave mentions doing this in his book.
              Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Anyone have the Redbeard interview with Dave to launch ALAE ??? It was an hour long.

I remember taping it off the radio in Jan. 1991 when it aired live --- but I fucking lost that tape years ago. Suprised I havent seen it posted anywhere online.

It was a typically classic DLR interview --- lots of memorable quotes. Dave did seem a little more mellow from his over-the-top 80's persona, though.

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                  that album came out before i could legally drink?

1991 was 22 years ago?

I remember the 90s so vividly...

... what a lousy decade to live through.

Happy Birthday, 2nd best Dave album!

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Great album. Love the guitar tone on it. Lots of tasty stuff.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Hard to believe it's been that long. Hard to believe I was only 20 then - I'm old as hell

The show in Charlotte was great! Poor Gary, he was prancing around like a fag even then. 21 bucks for a triple bill show. Man those days are long gone...

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• TJMKID
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

Did Dave still have the devil statues pissing Jack Daniels on the audience at this show?

I'm not big on concert gimmicks --- but this was one prop I would've like to see in person.

No wonder the ALAE tour was cut short --- Dave was probably pissing away $10,000 in whiskey every night !!

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                        Hard to believe it's been that long. Hard to believe I was only 20 then - I'm old as hell

The show in Charlotte was great! Poor Gary, he was prancing around like a fag even then. 21 bucks for a triple bill show. Man those days are long gone...

Comment

• TJMKID
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                          I remember the 90s so vividly...

... what a lousy decade to live through.

Actually, wasnt that bad of a decade --- Clinton was in office with no bullshit wars going on --- and the US economy was booming without bailouts or fiscal cliffs --- plus we got to see the rise of the Interwebs!

All in all --- we've seen much worse decades.

Comment

• WARF
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Yo donnie you saw ALAE who was the guitar player?

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Yes, Dave had the pissing devils. It was cool as fuck! About halfway thru the show he walked offstage and then made his way to the boxing ring. The place went nuts! And people can say he was washed up and other bullshit...but when he came out onstage people were jumping up and down in their chairs!! Dave was a fucking rock star!! Damn what a great night.
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...