Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

One of Ed's most boring riffs. Still a cool tune. Fuck Dave's stripped down vocals make me laugh. But in a good way. He was bringin' it ! It's interesting to read about people and band's but something like this is laughable to me. What I could get through anyway. Who give's a shit what this guy thinks good or bad. To sit and break it down like this is all one guy's opinion and that's it. Rock and roll is so deep ! Give me a break.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Sometimes it's possible to just overthink these things...and Van Halen's music isn't really something that needs to be subjected to such a lengthy analysis (and this is coming from someone who is more than a bit prolix).

That's the great thing about Van Halen's music: you just have to put it on and it takes care of everything else for you. Same goes for any other great rock music. It doesn't require thinking about it. That is why when rock stars get political the message runs the risk of blunting the impact. If the music is doing the job all the listener has to do is sit back and feel it.

Plus, for all his over-the-top guitar playing, Eddie Van Halen knew how to write short, catchy memorable hooks. This kind of negates the notion that Ed was all virtuosity and Roth was all simplistic showmanship and it took this juxtaposition to make Van Halen work. Ed was a great songwriter...just as great a rock songwriter as he was a killer player. The proof of this is how well the music stands up today, as opposed to countless numbers of Van Halen/Malmsteen inspired 80s shredders who recorded start-to-finish guitar solo wankfest albums that would be a fucking endurance test to get through in one listen 25 years on.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...