‘Van Halen: The Studio Albums 1978-1984′ Due For Release March 26th!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaijuju
    Sniper
    • Jan 2008

In 2009 a French fan bought this ! Japanese pressage 23 Dollars each !
    it was much better !!!

http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      Waitaminute. Are you talking about the one with Me Wise & Stuff? WTF did they do to RWTD? Don't think I ever listened to anything but the 2 new (at the time) songs.
      All I remember is that a bit of the song was missing - edited probably, rather than remixed.

With that, and it's lamer beyond lame cover, you have to sometimes despair at the sheer negligence towards what is one of the most stellar catalogues of any American rock band.

You don't see the remaining members of The Doors being so disrespectful to their legacy. For me, in terms of the core output (6 pack) that's the strata Van Halen occupy - one of a very few bands of the 60s / 70s who could be said to be greatest American band of that period.

You gotta envy the way the Doors do things. Alright, probably motivated by the fact the the Morrison years is their income, but the care that goes into re-releases, compilations, box sets, 'official' bootlegs, video/DVD etc. is light years beyond the VH organisation.

'Cos Ed is in fuckin charge.

The Doors - 40-odd years after Jimbo died, are about to bring out what has been called one of the most advanced iPad Apps. It will sync with all the songs in your iTunes, and be the way that generations of new listeners will keep discovering their albums.

Ed, meanwhile, continues to let his legacy go to ruin with slipshod re-issues and compilations with some of the worst mystique-destroying artwork in rock history. That Best Of Vol2 with his stupid stripes on the cover is gotta be the worst, most lame, presentation of a legendary band in the history of rock'n'roll.
      Last edited by VHscraps; 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM.
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Waitaminute. Are you talking about the one with Me Wise & Stuff? WTF did they do to RWTD? Don't think I ever listened to anything but the 2 new (at the time) songs.
        I think some of the first batch pressed they used a version of RWTD that had the verses in the wrong order... caught it and pulled the remaining product with the proper mix.
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by VHscraps
          Ed, meanwhile, continues to let his legacy go to ruin with slipshod re-issues and compilations with some of thd worst mystique-destroying artwork in rock history. That Best Of Vol2 with his stupid stripes on the cover is gotta be the worst, most lame, presentation of a legendary band in the history of rock'n'roll.
          Totally. The stripes and color scheme at undeniably his signature, but not the whole bands. Granted, the bulk of AC/DC covers are based on Angus' appearance, but that's different. What Dave said about VH BOV 1 was depressingly perfect.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            I think some of the first batch pressed they used a version of RWTD that had the verses in the wrong order... caught it and pulled the remaining product with the proper mix.
            Wow, that's nuts. I'll have to check mine out when I get home. This endless day has to fucking end first.

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Forgive me for derailing the thread ... about that Doors iPad app - here's how you keep your music relevant to a new generation. From UK magazine, MOJO, January 2013. The App is not out yet, but here's the ideas behind it. Particularly interesting is what he says about the future of the album - the third question / answer.

Jac Holzman Outlines Doors iPad App

The latest catalogue to experience the iPad upgrade is that of The Doors, a move driven by Elektra Records supremo Jac Holzman, a man who's always kept a weather eye on advances in music technology. Holzman spoke to MOJO about the Doors app, expanding on the possibilities of the music experience in 2013 and what's next for the good ol' long player. When the music's over, turn out the light? Not a bit of it, learns Ross Bennett

Let's start with the Doors app. How did that start?
              Well, I've been in involved with a whole bunch of technology stuff over the years. I was chief technologist of Warner Communications, I did the CD implementation for the music group Cable and was one of three directors at Atari. I'm always interested in the point where the arts meet technology and how one can advance the other. I was looking at apps and the story you can tell through them. I thought that this would be great for The Doors 40th anniversary edition of L.A Woman so I got the go-ahead and started to work on the project. Then, as I got into it, I realized that this thing was much, much bigger.

What can we expect?
              There are 12 sections: one devoted to each of The Doors' albums, one devoted to the 1968 European tour, there's a chapter on Jim and one devoted to the aftermath of his death. I also found wonderful Doors articles from Patti Smith and Hunter S. Thompson. We then asked 'how do you tell the story of the Miami incident [where Morrison was arrested onstage in March 1969 for alleged indecent exposure]?' We came up with the idea of doing it as an in-app graphic novel. We have the FBI files, Jim's testimony and reams of legal documents. You can also hear audio from the incident itself. In total, there are over 1400 items - 44 short videos, tickets, memorabilia, lots of photographs, all The Doors' lyrics. You can play 90 seconds of every track and if you have the song in your iTunes library you play the whole thing through the app. Then, of course, there are the social networking opportunities as well. All created by a team of six.

What does the proliferation of the app mean for the future of the album?
              This process changed my view of the album. I'm a guy who has made albums from 1950 until the late '90s. As a result of the development of digital, the whole business has skewed towards the singles market and a number of people, some of whom I respect, think the album is irrelevant. I don't. A single tells you about the song, but it does not tell you a lot about the artist. When you begin to hear the motifs that weave in and out of an album you begin to see the shape of that person's approach to music. A lot of people have tried to emulate what an album is digitally. iTunes made a noble try at it. I don't think anybody has got it right, but the experiments we conducted while creating this app have led me to believe that we can now approach a piece of music from many different angles.

What's the most important thing you've learnt from creating The Doors iPad app?
              Most people have a primary portal through which they acquire information and music. That may be predominantly auditory, but they will always want supplementary audio and visual cues. Which means you can really approach an album from any of these directions. If you put an album on shuffle, you'll hear it differently. You may hear bad juxtapositions, but then you'll also hear magical ones. I'm looking to offer as many perspectives as possible. I think multiple perspectives are the key. This app is a real experience.

Interview: Ross Bennett
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Please Scraps. Have you seen the Kristy thread? Seriously, it's all good I'm sure.

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Never happen in VH land, but a VH App would be the shit! (As long as Haggar was left on the digital sideline).
                  My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Please Scraps. Have you seen the Kristy thread? Seriously, it's all good I'm sure.
                    I have been checking it out every day, but I think my view echoes Thrills'N'Spills - don't post in it and it will exit the dump down some invisible hole and land in Hell.

Where is Satan when you need him anyway ...
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

They put the verses in the wrong places in R.W.T.D. if I remember correctly. Whoever remastered it.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by VHscraps
                        I have been checking it out every day, but I think my view echoes Thrills'N'Spills - don't post in it and it will exit the dump down some invisible hole and land in Hell.

Where is Satan when you need him anyway ...
                        There's a reason I considered you the godfather around here. BRILLIANT advice. I did just post how stupid it was in there myself.

Comment

• Cato
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by vaijuju
                          In 2009 a French fan bought this ! Japanese pressage 23 Dollars each !
                          it was much better !!!

I have those mini LP's too. Warner Japan did a great job.

hey, if any of you guys want something from Japan(CDs Mags, Books etc..), contact me.
                          total costs would be cheaper than buying straight from Japanese net store
                          Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cato
                            hey, if any of you guys want something from Japan(CDs Mags, Books etc..), contact me.
                            total costs would be cheaper than buying straight from Japanese net store
                            Can you find me a clean Yamaha DX7II for under $400?
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Cato
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              Can you find me a clean Yamaha DX7II for under $400?
                              ok I'll look for it.
                              is it heavy?
                              Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cato
                                ok I'll look for it.
                                is it heavy?
                                Yeah, they're heavy. Shipping would probably be a killer.

It was kind of a joke. I found this guy from Nagano who finds all these synths for under $100 in second hand shops, and there is nowhere here with deals like that.

I just looked on ebay and found an original DX7 within driving distance, may grab that one later.

What does vintage gear go for near you? Say pre-1995 rack synths and guitar processors?
                                Last edited by twonabomber; 02-24-2013, 06:05 AM.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...