Do Ed and Al think Dave has musical talent?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_is_vh
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

Or do Ed and Al think Dave has no musical talent and that Dave succeeded only because of Ed and Al's musical talent?
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

What do I win if I get it right ??

Comment

• hambon4lif
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      What do I win if I get it right ??
      A brand spankin' new aluminum-foil hat to replace the dirty one you've been wearing for the past six years!

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Why would someone wear a foil hat, other than because they're an idiot ??

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh

Or do Ed and Al think Dave has no musical talent and that Dave succeeded only because of Ed and Al's musical talent?

Eddie thinks everyone he has played with has succeeded due to Eds talent ad earned money off Ed. Makes no difference what he thinks. We got 7 stellar albums, many many live shows, and more to come...

As a side, I don't think Eddie would believe Dave has no musical talent. Dave has played guitar on some VH albums, written lyrics, and toured. I doubt you make 7 albums and all those tours when you think you are totally "carrying" someone.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

As Dave says in that insane Japanese TV clip Cato posted in another thread - he writes words AND melodies. The latter are half the music if you look at songs in musical notation.

Voice is his instrument. Whatever anyone thinks of the John Lennon/VH Jump mash-up, the fact that Dave's MUSIC can be married to John Lennon's like that and still recognisably be the same song, proves that vocal melody and lyrics are as much what the song is, if not more, than (in this case of Jump) EVH's riff.

And it is for those reasons that it took a DLR for Ed and Al to be able to make it.

I'm guessing that if you look up ASCAP, the song / music publishing thingy, you'll find that Dave - for all the cover tunes he has done - has written as many, if not more, more songs than Ed.

Of course, Ed has those ten - or is it twelve - 'albums' of riffs in the can, awaiting someone like Dave or Hagar to turn them into songs ...
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• hambon4lif
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

I tend to believe that the brothers know better than that, especially now. Roth is the goddamn fuckin' boss, not just because of how dedicated he is to his work, or how he lives his life without apology, but because there isn't anyone else that can bring to this band that he does! They tried in vain and failed...twice!

Ed may have provided the music, but Dave always was (and is) the heart, the soul, and the spirit of this band.

Van Halen isn't everyones favorite band, but even the innocent folks who aren't familiar with their music say the exact same thing...."What made Van Halen so cool?....was Roth!"

If the Rolling Stones tried to replace Jagger with another singer, everyone would laugh at them!
              If Aerosmith tried to replace Steven Tyler with someone else, same thing!

As much as it might piss the brothers off, Van Halen is not only known, but IDENTIFIED, and PERSONIFIED, by David Lee Roth. Anything else is just a cover or tribute band.

That's just the fucking way it is, and that's how it's gonna be, and that's how it will ALWAYS be...until the end of time.

There's no fucking possible way in hell this band would last this long, or that their fans would tolerate so much of their goddamn bullshit, if not for Diamond Dave.

RESPECT!

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by hambon4lif

There's no fucking possible way in hell this band would last this long, or that their fans would tolerate so much of their goddamn bullshit, if not for Diamond Dave.

RESPECT!
                They didn't last...

Van Halen dissolved in 1985...

2/3 of the band reunited in 2007...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  Why would someone wear a foil hat, other than because they're an idiot ??
                  Don't get all self-conscious on us now!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Dave's ability to write lyrics alone makes this a moot argument...a moot beat argument....

Comment

• Angel
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Dave's ability to write lyrics alone makes this a moot argument...a moot beat argument....
                      When VH had Sass Jordan come down to the studio Ed gave her some recordings and said here, sing to this and left. She couldn't do it. Said she can't write that way, that she has to sit down with he person and write together.
                      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Angel
                        When VH had Sass Jordan come down to the studio Ed gave her some recordings and said here, sing to this and left. She couldn't do it. Said she can't write that way, that she has to sit down with he person and write together.
                        Writing and performing lyrics on the spot for Ed VH? That is a daunting task. I'd say give me disc and 24 hours.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

My question is not whether Dave has musical talent. Everyone here knows Dave has tremendous musical talent.

What I want to know is whether or not Ed and Al acknowledge Dave's musical talent - or do Ed and Al think Dave is just some goofball no talent than rode Ed and Al's coattails to success?
                          "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

What makes you think that Ed & Al think?
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

My question is not whether Dave has musical talent. Everyone here knows Dave has tremendous musical talent.

What I want to know is whether or not Ed and Al acknowledge Dave's musical talent - or do Ed and Al think Dave is just some goofball no talent than rode Ed and Al's coattails to success?
                              Ed spoke highly of Dave's guitar playing and lyric writing abilities in his last Guitar World interview. He's on the cover with his red pantaloons. Never read or heard Ed praise him like he did in this ish before.

Comment

Working...