Dave, i love you but ...(higher register voice)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calderone
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
    The whole forced, high note singing is what destroyed any enjoyment of the DLR Band album for me. Here you have the best group of Roth songs in ages, yet the singing makes it virtually unlistenable. And this isn't disloyal, objectionist criticism, it's merely a fan's chagrin and disappointment. With apologies to no one, I simply don't wish to hear that, not then, and certainly not now.
    IE : RELENTLESS !

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

That's not really bad at all...

A good producer could make that great...

Sounds like Dave on Outta Space...

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

I guess, some of you have thought that Jagger could/would heve the perfect tones on redoing LIVE, some Get Yer Yaya's Out ........ hmmmmm.

Maybe, DLR could use some new Van Halen music to meet his tone and situations of todays DLR and Van Halen the same ...hmmm.

The verses are much more even tones and less different pitches that Van Halen have used It sounds different to me, but just as good.

Maybe, DLR could use some new tunage as I mentioned above to fit todays voice and Ed his gutar ......that is not the Frankenstien ..doesn't sound the same on those old CVH Tunes..hmmm.

Last edited by clarathecarrot; 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM.
        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• TitanTopper
          Groupie
          • Mar 2012

I did not see them in person on the '07-'08 Tour, but from the videos...seems like Dave carried them. Ed was as sharp as EVER on the '12 Tour and Dave sucked ass. It has already been stated , but he needs to stick to his natural register and STOP ALL OF THE DANCING SHIMMIES!! Own the stage like The Badass Rocker that you are and not a dancer in A Chorus Line!!
          "Hey man, that suit is you!!"

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Calderone
            IE : RELENTLESS !
            Here's a better example. If you can make it through this without cringing, let alone having a few fillings drop from your mouth, well...Mister, you're a better man than I.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Dave could have left that Indeedido crap off of DLR band for sure...

It's not so much the vocals as the kind of music it is...

Corporate formula pop garbage exactly like the country bullshit they sell to people these days...

A Little Ain't Enough is exactly that same kind of crap...

That's why I hate it...

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

You really want cringe vocals, chef ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

That's not even that bad compared to today's Dave...

Brian Young is a joke...

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ELVIS

Corporate formula pop garbage exactly like the country bullshit they sell to people these days...

That's why I hate it...

ALAE fucking rocks dude , second fav Dave cd ....
                    Just saying
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2005

When everyone gets done bickering like women at the hair salon please let me know.
                      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

That's not even that bad compared to today's Dave...
                        I really didn't find it all that awful, as he occasionally sang in his normal manner, offsetting the nails-on-chalkboard moments. As for today's Dave, I tend to believe he is trying to force things out, making up with aggression what he is missing in force. Hell, we all lose some zip on our fastball sometime in our 40s, and for Roth (who is rapidly approaching the age of 60), I'm willing to give him a break.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                          When everyone gets done bickering like women at the hair salon please let me know.
                          as a bald man, i find that offensively funny
                          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                            This is the Dave we ALL want to see return to the stage --- basking in glory on the ego ramp --- staying within his normal register --- KICKIN' ASS

Maybe there have been others, but it's the best live rendition of the song I've heard so far.

Proves Dave can still sing his own way, with his deep, powerful low voice, and when he ventures to hit that higher tone it's just as the whim takes him.
                            "Everybody Wants Some" was awesome vocally speaking too IMO.
                            Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM.
                            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

That's why I hate it...

What do you think 1984 is ? 10 mil sold !

Comment

• VHscraps
                                Veteran
                                • Jul 2009

1984 is a great album.

10 mil sold in the US ... alone. Don't keep forgetting that all those numbers that get thrown around are usually the US certified sales ONLY. i have never seen a total for VH sales that looks realistic. Always looks too low and based on known RIAA certifications, which of course apply to US sales only.

And then there's rest of the world. I'd bet 1984 sold another 3-5 million worldwide. It was platinum in Canada, a Gold album in prob all the European territories, and the rest. Once you count all those up, it would be a big difference to what we conventionally regard as the total sales.

It never attained Diamond status in the US until a long time after the actual year 1984, but I have a Billboard clipping of a Warners 'congratulations to VH' advert from Nov. 84 saying it had already sold 8m WORLDWIDE in the first ten months of that year. What was it RIAA certified by Jan. 85? I bet non-US sales were about the same as US, i.e., around 4m/4m in that year - so 15m seems plausible to me.

Add sales of Jump worldwide - easily several million ... etc. and thatusic shifted A LOT of copies.

So - 15m Worldwide for 1984 and probably 15m+ for VHI which I'd bet is their most consistent long-term seller?

Not a stretch in my view.
                                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...