Dave, i love you but ...(higher register voice)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loucap81
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

I firmly believe 2007-08 was the best Dave has been, in every way, since 1984.

Comment

• Calderone
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

i liked his Sam and Dave 2002 tour energy ! But music-wise performance 2007-2008 was GREAT !

Comment

• BenJammin
        Foot Soldier
        • Feb 2004

Well here's another thought... Dave has recently expressed support for the return of Mike and his backing vocals. Do you think he has been missing that and trying to cover the range (albeit poorly) himself ?

Maybe his covertly (maybe even overtly) dickish way of protesting Mike not being there ? You kinda saw it in the '07-'08 tour (can't remember the song atm) but he was trying to trade off with Wolf on some verses and it was coming across as either being fun, being competitive, and/ or demonstrating Wolf was not up to par on the background vocals.

I've thanked the stars for Wolf being the most likely catalyst in getting DLR back in the band... but he IS just a kid and doesn't complete the formula that was CVH.

... oh and Atomic Punk from '07 was awesome ! Never saw that and it was refreshing.
        Last edited by BenJammin; 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM.
        "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I think you've got something there Benj. I think an example of Dave pushing out a high note that might otherwise be done by Mike was Girl Gone Bad from this last tour. On record, Dave's hitting a mild note within his baritone, while Mike is hitting a higher accompanying note on the chorus. During '12, you heard both Dave and Wolf fighting each other for the higher "giiiiiiiiirl". Neither of them won, as it was hard to tell who got it right and who didn't.

The kid actually does have decent high range chops. Dave falls back a bit with his reach, Wolf becomes every bit effective as Mike. Problem solved. Beer me.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
            What do you think 1984 is ?
            Van Halen's worst album...

Comment

• perrin29
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Van Halen's worst album...
              Oh man I don't know about that. With Drop Dead, House Of Pain, Girl Gone Bad and HFT. I might say Diver Down even though it has some bad ass songs on it too.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Well, one has to be the least and it's 1984...

If not, that leaves Diver Down and ADKOT...

1984 has those stupid inflatable sounding bass drums, Jump, and a very Hagaresque guitar tone...

Last edited by ELVIS; 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• bru87tr
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

Been checking out some shows on tube. Some songs Dave sounds like he is trying to move away from the high pitch. Yes, he can't help himself sometimes but this show he had glimpses of old Dave.

This one he shows what he can do and sounds clean, when the music starts he falls apart, wtf ? Ice Cream Man april 24th show, sydney I think.

Still, these guys, on this show anyway seem to be having fun and Dave showing glimpses. Tattoo sounded the best i remember hearing it. Hopefully Dave stops the pitch and sings in his register more cause he still has it. I don't know what happens to him when the music starts though. Panama and others he tries to sing lower.
                  "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• minkahed
                    Roadie
                    • Jan 2012

What the hell with all this whining about Dave's singing "high", yadda yadda ...

First off, he's58 years old, not 28.

Second, I've heard bootlegs of virtually hundreds of different artists and their bound to fuck up and sing outta tune, hit bad notes, etc etc ...

I once listened to a Bruce Springsteen cd of a "live" show from around '09, I believe, and I couldn't get thru 3 tracks cuz he sounded so damn bad, (out of key and fatigued), this coming from the all mighty BOSS, usually heraled as one of rock's greatest performers.

Then, once from the all mighty, "King of Rock 'n Roll" from 1976, Elvis Presley.

Geez, the man was 41 years old at the time and he was stumbling thru his "Hits" like they were pieces of garbage, 59 second medleys, scarf throwing excuses to kiss the girls in the front row.

I was mortified that Elvis is usually considered "THE" icon of 20th century status, the benchmark of what an artist could want to achieve in music history, and here we was stoned, mumbling, going thru the motions in what was timed as a 60 minute concert. Astonishing.

Yet, here we are crucifying Dave for "high" voice singing and "shimmies" ... at least he's entertaining us and singing his ass off, yes. sometimes he's real off, but sometimes, he's dead on.

We've been clamoring for Dave Lee Roth to re-join Van Halen for years, now were 6/7 years in and now we're pissing and moaning that he sucks, can't sing, can't dance, rants about A/C units, uses chains in "Unchained", "head sets", etc etc ... when we used to call Eddie and Alex, "the sisters" ! Baffling ....
                    Last edited by minkahed; 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM.
                    Hot dog and a shake

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I consider all of the said "whining" to be a legitimate discussion.

Sure, we're all glad Dave's back.

Sure, we can take the sporadic bad with the predominant good.

It's still a fair question. Why has he switched up to a range not of his own at this stage of the game? He could cruise through the remainder of his career delivering Dance The Night Away as he always had before. His usual range with a lil' scream here and there.

Whatever comes of it all, we still love the guy. There's no doubt about that. He wouldn't want us not to judge him harshly. If he's reading any of this stuff, I seriously doubt it would put a ding in his armor. Dave's gonna do what Dave's gonna do. We'll take it.

Comment

• bru87tr
                        Commando
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by minkahed
                        What the hell with all this whining about Dave's singing "high", yadda yadda ...

First off, he's58 years old, not 28.

Second, I've heard bootlegs of virtually hundreds of different artists and their bound to fuck up and sing outta tune, hit bad notes, etc etc ...

I once listened to a Bruce Springsteen cd of a "live" show from around '09, I believe, and I couldn't get thru 3 tracks cuz he sounded so damn bad, (out of key and fatigued), this coming from the all mighty BOSS, usually heraled as one of rock's greatest performers.

Then, once from the all mighty, "King of Rock 'n Roll" from 1976, Elvis Presley.

Geez, the man was 41 years old at the time and he was stumbling thru his "Hits" like they were pieces of garbage, 59 second medleys, scarf throwing excuses to kiss the girls in the front row.

I was mortified that Elvis is usually considered "THE" icon of 20th century status, the benchmark of what an artist could want to achieve in music history, and here we was stoned, mumbling, going thru the motions in what was timed as a 60 minute concert. Astonishing.

Yet, here we are crucifying Dave for "high" voice singing and "shimmies" ... at least he's entertaining us and singing his ass off, yes. sometimes he's real off, but sometimes, he's dead on.

We've been clamoring for Dave Lee Roth to re-join Van Halen for years, now were 6/7 years in and now we're pissing and moaning that he sucks, can't sing, can't dance, rants about A/C units, uses chains in "Unchained", "head sets", etc etc ... when we used to call Eddie and Alex, "the sisters" ! Baffling ....
                        Sorry man, that is the douche post of the day.

Isn't the whole point of the internet and this forum is to post opinions ? That is why we are here and why you get to add your douche post of the day. The truth is the truth, if you don't like it to fucking bad.

Dave sings out of his range, it has nothing to do with his age. It sounds stupid and he shouldn't do it. You can like it, it doesn't mean we have to as we would like Dave to sound his best as he still can. So we can notice it, just not post and complain about it ? These are your rules or the forums ?

Sorry, but I can't settle for high pitched Dave like you can. He sounded better about 5 years ago and we all know he can still do that.
                        "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bru87tr
                          well, maybe in this thread only

by the way, it's early, i'm sure it could be beaten
                          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Sorry, but I can't settle for high pitched Dave like you can. He sounded better about 5 years ago and we all know he can still do that.

That's just the thing. If he could only sing like he is now I wouldn't care. But I know he can sing better and for the life of me can't understand why he won't. I just don't get it. But I am glad he is there nd singing my favorite songs so I don't dwell on the voice....at least not too long anyways.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

I think he has ear monitor problems with some of the songs and is just to lazy to do anything about it. He leaves them in on some songs, then takes them out for others. It looks like he only uses one for the most part. Then he had 2 floor size monitors out in front of the middle of the stage down low. He might not have the music mix high enough on those when he has the one in his ear. That could be throwing him off ? Not sure Mike missing is the problem. He was to good in 07/08 to believe that. Than again people think those were Mike's vocals ! Lol. Who knows ? Dave has never been perfect. But if can fix it he needs to. I find it hard to believe he hasn't watched some clips or listened to some tape's and think's he sounds o.k. If he does maybe he has hearing loss issues ! Lol.

Comment

• minkahed
                                Roadie
                                • Jan 2012

Isn't the whole point of the internet and this forum is to post opinions ? That is why we are here and why you get to add your douche post of the day. The truth is the truth, if you don't like it to fucking bad.

Dave sings out of his range, it has nothing to do with his age. It sounds stupid and he shouldn't do it. You can like it, it doesn't mean we have to as we would like Dave to sound his best as he still can. So we can notice it, just not post and complain about it ? These are your rules or the forums ?

I guess I shoulda realized that there would be an intellectual midget as yourself to struggle and try to comprehend what I was trying to convey.

Wow, your use of the word "douche" is actually quite indicative on how mature you must be , (you have expectations of yourself, doncha?) and lack of brain capacity is overwhelming and quite evident.

Have a nice day !
                                Hot dog and a shake

Comment

Working...