X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    I think Ed still wrote some great riffage after Dave left. Not a lot, but some. I would love to have heard Dave's lyrics and vocals over riffs like Black and Blue, Best Of Both Worlds and Humans Being. Especially the latter. Ed sounds angry in that song. Some angry lyrics and vocals by Dave would have made that a killer tune.
    Ed was angry cause he couldn't have no beers

I would have liked to hear Dave's version of 5150. Take out Slappy's vocals and that's a killer song.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2012

I think Ed still wrote some great riffage after Dave left. Not a lot, but some. I would love to have heard Dave's lyrics and vocals over riffs like Black and Blue, Best Of Both Worlds and Humans Being. Especially the latter. Ed sounds angry in that song. Some angry lyrics and vocals by Dave would have made that a killer tune.
      I'd add Cabo Wabo, 5150, Good Enough and Up For Breakfast to your list. I really like the music for UFB (other than them ripping themselves off with the intro part), but Sam really out did himself lyrically on that one to the point that the inane lyrics almost ruin the whole song for me.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
        I'd add Cabo Wabo, 5150, Good Enough and Up For Breakfast to your list. I really like the music for UFB (other than them ripping themselves off with the intro part), but Sam really out did himself lyrically on that one to the point that the inane lyrics almost ruin the whole song for me.
        Speaking of Clichegar's lyrics, have you heard the song he did with Ted on Nugent's last album? It ranks right up there as much as an abortion as anything he's ever done lyrically.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
          Head Fluffer
          • Apr 2012

Speaking of Clichegar's lyrics, have you heard the song he did with Ted on Nugent's last album? It ranks right up there as much as an abortion as anything he's ever done lyrically.
          Haven't heard it, but I'm willing to jump in to the shallow end of self hatred, if only for a few minutes, to check it out. What's the name of the tune?

Comment

• chuckjitsu
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
            Haven't heard it, but I'm willing to jump in to the shallow end of self hatred, if only for a few minutes, to check it out. What's the name of the tune?
            Well, I think the song you were referring to is "She's Gone", which in addition to the title is the only lyric to the song. Pretty unremarkable tune all the way around. And honestly, I think I'd rather listen to the samburglar repeat the same two words over and over than listen to him "honeydew his melon" or put cherries on his banana.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I often found myself wishing the same thing through those lean years. Runaround had s fun, early days simplicity to it that Dave would have knocked out of the park. Hell, there were some songs screaming out for Dave on the Cherone Halen thing. Ballot Or The Bullet opens with the closest Ed has ever come to Fair Warning era riffage. Dirty Water Dog was another decent groove.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                Dirty Water Dog was another decent groove.
                Pretty much the riff from "Stompin' 8H," when EVH sat in with the SNL band when Val hosted the show.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  Pretty much the riff from "Stompin' 8H," when EVH sat in with the SNL band when Val hosted the show.

There isn't video of Stompin?

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

NBC has it taken down every time someone posts it on YouTube.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Satan
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Lorne Michaels is a complete fascist when it comes to SNL clips on You Tube. Of course, he could always discourage the "bootlegging" by posting them himself, but it seems that SNL's "official" Youtube channel is only about promoting the current season, and not anything actually worth watching from the show's past.
                      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I s'pose it's similar to that. I always dug the opening riff to this tune. Scraping a swimming pool vacuum brush on the ground for percussion was a cute trick.

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Ed's playing on ADKOT and the last tour was back to his best ... possibly.
                          A lot of the past 20 years he was hammered to fuck, who knows he may knock out some killer riffs now he is seeing just the one guitar.
                          Just a pity its probably not gonna be with Dave putting down lyrics to them.

Like Vonzie mentioned one of the few Hagar era songs I like is humans being. Great tune and Dave would have kept it from the whole shine on lyric,
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• beavrtek
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Aug 2004

That's a bold statement. Definitely a handful of tasty riffage on there, but a fair share of clunkers, too. Not sure what the 5 weeks difference would have made, but the guy wasn't about to break any musical ground with Oni Logan dishing out huff and puff lyrics about his burning soul.
                            The onset of grunge destroyed the prospects for many bands that seemingly had it all going for them. Lynch Mob, as well as bands like T-Ride (another "deserted island" disc), had the hooks and the looks, but were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Five years (not months) earlier would have put them smack dab in the middle of their element.

BUT, everyone wanted to whine in the rain saying "rape me" instead. sheesh

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by beavrtek
                              The onset of grunge destroyed the prospects for many bands that seemingly had it all going for them. Lynch Mob, as well as bands like T-Ride (another "deserted island" disc), had the hooks and the looks, but were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Five years (not months) earlier would have put them smack dab in the middle of their element.

BUT, everyone wanted to whine in the rain saying "rape me" instead. sheesh
                              Not big fan of the shoe-gazer anthems like the one you mentioned, but Nirvana, AIC, Sound Garden and a hand full of others were a breath of fresh, albeit dirty flanneled, air IMHO. A lot of bands I liked did get lost in that jet stream, but only the strong survived. King's X adapted and minimally assimilated with their Dogman CD. Where was T-Ride's effort to survive? So many bands had the skills to pay the bills and still stay relatively true to themselves throughout the change in the rock world's landscape, but opted to either fold or play to a couple hundred people a night in clubs that were designed to keep them firmly planted in 1989. If some of those acts switched up a tad, they could've been cruising through the 90's on Lolapalooza tours and the like. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Lynch, but for a guy of his caliber, to not to take a chance until 2014 (KXM) is just a shame.

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Lynch, but for a guy of his caliber, to not to take a chance until 2014 (KXM) is just a shame.
                                Well, that was a good fucking chance he took there! That disc shreds!

Comment

Working...