Eddie still rocks after all these years.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne L.

Eddie still rocks after all these years.

Eddie Van Halen isn't as young as he used to be but he still rocks like it was yesterday as he's approaching 50. He is one of the last great important & unfluential guitarist in rock of the 70's with few equals. Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right from the 80's but their impact is only minimal compared to Eddie. There will never be another rock guitarist like EVH with his signature tune Eruption which has never been surpassed since the Van Halen explosion of 78.
  • guwapo_rocker

Re: Eddie still rocks after all these years.

Originally posted by Wayne L.
    unfluential
    You said it not me.

By the way, Eddie can't remember yesterday.

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

What a Freudian Slip !

Im must agree, he has definately been unfluential since 1984...
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

Eddie Van Halen isn't as young as he used to be There will never be another rock guitarist like EVH with his signature tune Eruption which has never been surpassed since the Van Halen explosion of 78. [/QUOTE]

UHHHH....right. Ironic how he shot the wad in '78. Never surpassed, even by him. Could this guy try ANY harder to polish Ed's KNOB?!?

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

I smell something...

Comment

• wooda

Re: Re: Eddie still rocks after all these years.

Originally posted by Matt White
            Eddie Van Halen isn't as young as he used to be There will never be another rock guitarist like EVH with his signature tune Eruption which has never been surpassed since the Van Halen explosion of 78.

UHHHH....right. Ironic how he shot the wad in '78. Never surpassed, even by him. Could this guy try ANY harder to polish Ed's KNOB?!?
            [/QUOTE]

I think there are some signature tunes that do surpass what Ed did, granted his was at the right place and time, but he didn't write the book, nor does it end with him.

If you consider 5150 through BOBW you will see that he has done more than enough to tarnish any legacy he may have had.

The legend of EVH will die when the 35 - 45 crowd dies, whereas other guitar gods will live on because they stayed true to form

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
              Foot Soldier
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Wayne L.
              Eddie Van Halen isn't as young as he used to be but he still rocks like it was yesterday as he's approaching 50. He is one of the last great important & unfluential guitarist in rock of the 70's with few equals. Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right from the 80's but their impact is only minimal compared to Eddie. There will never be another rock guitarist like EVH with his signature tune Eruption which has never been surpassed since the Van Halen explosion of 78.
              Eddie Van Halen isn't as young as he used to be but he still (drinks) like it was yesterday as he's approaching 50. He is one of the last great important & influential guitarist in rock of the 70's (who stopped trying to do anything great decades ago). Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right from the 80's but their impact (far eclipses Eddie as they are still creating great music and at the very least, attempting to write great music). There will never be another rock guitarist like EVH with his signature tune "Eruption", (since it was already written and it would be copyright infringement to write "Eruption" again), but we all know you can find a 15 year old kid at any music store that can play it since it is 2004. Maybe someone should tell Ed what year it is
              Last edited by Roth kills Sam; 07-24-2004, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Roth-of-Halen
                Full On Cocktard
                • Jul 2004

where's my smokes?
                damn bottle opener!
                val,val.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

As far as a guitarist, Ed reached his apex with Fair Warning, with several noteworthy post-1981 additions:

Little Guitars

Secrets

Cathedral

House Of Pain

Hot For Teacher

Girl Gone Bad

And for you sheep:

5150, the title track, which has some genuinely decent guitar work.

By the time OU812 came out, Ed stopped developing as a guitarist. By his own admission, he decided to focus on songwriting (whatever that meant).

So we come to today, where he can't write a decent song and really isn't much to write home about as a guitarist either.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• scottydabodi
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

Ed is such a numb nut. When was that dude's last killin' solo, like "Hot for Teacher'?!??!! Fuck that guy. I saw Vai about 3 years ago, and it was jaw dropping, Ed hasn't dropped anyone but Sam's jaw in about 19 years. Ed quit being a great guitarist, coincidentally, when Dave left. It seems that Dave DEMANDED Ed be a killer guitarist, whereas Ed doesn't seem too interested in doing it on his own... what a PUSSY.
                    If you listen to fools
                    The Mob Rules

Comment

• rockvanhalen66
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by scottydabodi
                      Ed is such a numb nut. When was that dude's last killin' solo, like "Hot for Teacher'?!??!! Fuck that guy. I saw Vai about 3 years ago, and it was jaw dropping, Ed hasn't dropped anyone but Sam's jaw in about 19 years. Ed quit being a great guitarist, coincidentally, when Dave left. It seems that Dave DEMANDED Ed be a killer guitarist, whereas Ed doesn't seem too interested in doing it on his own... what a PUSSY.
                      can you play better??? if so why are you still living off your mother... go to your room sheep.........
                      long live van halen

Comment

• PerryLane
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by wooda
                        I think there are some signature tunes that do surpass what Ed did, granted his was at the right place and time, but he didn't write the book, nor does it end with him.

If you consider 5150 through BOBW you will see that he has done more than enough to tarnish any legacy he may have had.

The legend of EVH will die when the 35 - 45 crowd dies, whereas other guitar gods will live on because they stayed true to form [/B]
                        I agreed with you on the first and second pharagraph. However, I don't think Ed's legacy will die that fast (or ever).
                        Don't you think the music of Ed and classic Van Halen will live on? Young kids will find that six-pack for generations to come, and be inspired by Ed's work. So did I, and so was I. I'm 22 btw.
                        Last edited by PerryLane; 07-26-2004, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• wooda

Originally posted by PerryLane
                          I agreed with you on the first and second pharagraph. However, I don't think Ed's legacy will die that fast (or ever).
                          Don't you think the music of Ed and classic Van Halen will live on? Young kids will find that six-pack for generations to come, and be inspired by Ed's work. So did I, and so was I. I'm 22 btw.
                          I would love to say yes it will live on!!!, but here is what worries me.

Music is something that flows with the generations, and bands like the stones release something about every 5 years to keep the public interest, and build a bridge between the old fans and any new ones who may not know or care what came before.

VH (with the exception of DLR) has done a terrible job of keeping the publics interest. What has there been to buy in the last 10 years that would grab a kids interest? I have 5 kids 20,16,15,9,8. The 20 year old only really knows VH with sammy, and 16 and 15 year have no clue of who they are.

I think VH broke the chain that links them throughout the generations, and I see Dave out trying to keep it intact.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Quality of the music keeps the public interest.

The Beatles don't have to release anything, and they sell millions of records a year.

Van Halen doesn't have to do anything, the classic material will sell regardless.

Don't ever go by what your kids listen to to see who's remembered years after the fact. I still don't think people have a real knowledge of music until their mid 20's., if they are interested. I never listened to anything pre late 70's until I was past 25.

Kids today want to listen to that disposable garbage on MTV, not the Stones, Beatles, Who, Beach Boys, Kinks, Byrds, etc.

Comment

• wooda

Originally posted by Warham
                              Quality of the music keeps the public interest.

The Beatles don't have to release anything, and they sell millions of records a year.

Van Halen doesn't have to do anything, the classic material will sell regardless.

Don't ever go by what your kids listen to to see who's remembered years after the fact. I still don't think people have a real knowledge of music until their mid 20's., if they are interested. I never listened to anything pre late 70's until I was past 25.

Kids today want to listen to that disposable garbage on MTV, not the Stones, Beatles, Who, Beach Boys, Kinks, Byrds, etc.
                              Agree, but if they don;t release something decent in the near future, those VH record bins will be empty for the next gereration

Comment

Working...