Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

I once drank a Zima and was hit with the sudden urge to listen to Bon Jovi's Bad Medicine
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
        I would say about as manly as the offspring of Carrot Top and Yahoo Serious.
        Carrot Yahoo. didn't sesh play in that band?
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
          I once drank a Zima and was hit with the sudden urge to listen to Bon Jovi's Bad Medicine
          I tried a sample at coor's brewery when it wasn't quite "out" yet
          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
            Veteran
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
            Carrot Yahoo. didn't sesh play in that band?
            I think he was actually their Eddie type mascot.
            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              I feel the same way but wasn't gonna get all heady. Thanks for doing the dirty work Terry!

Back to what a follow up might be like to ADKOT, I think they can squeeze a few more gems outta the vault and another batch of new songs as they did before. I'd be fine with that, but I think they need to be done in a way that could be pulled off live. We can't have a Chinatown incident again and As Is was ducked out of clearly because it would have been a work out for Dave live. I hear ya Terry on the live front, but you can't let what their doing now tarnish your vision of the glory days. Every band goes through this victory lap phase of their career and you just take it for what it is. People haven't stopped seeing the Stones and there is nothing creative or energetic left in their tank. If VH hangs it up, I'm ok with that. If they keep on puttering around at their usual snails pace, I'll take that too. It's holding my breathe for anything that has finally ended.

Oh, no...I mean, if ten years of Hagar followed by ten years of bullshit didn't tarnish the CVH era for me, there's precious little the band can do now that will...it's like Dave one said when referring to Classic Van Halen, that the music and what the band represented was basically "bombproofed". That's why hopes for the reunion never went away after the 1996 biz was over.

If anything, seeing the last two tours and watching the band get older has increased my appreciation of the classic era, because (to paraphrase the song) you can't get that stuff no more.

Far as 1996 goes, I think Ed and Alex really had no clue how much people had missed CVH for the previous ten years. They probably thought that because Dave's solo career and record sales had waned people wouldn't really care as much as they did if Roth ended up just doing the two songs on BOV1 and nothing more. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me, because I can't imagine Ed and Alex would have even bothered recording with Dave if they had a real inkling as to how it would piss off the fanbase and basically end up getting the band booted from Warner Brothers after Van Halen 3 flopped. Had they done nothing with Dave in 1996, chances are Roth would have continued slowly fading into relative obscurity: the 1996 biz gave Roth's celebrity a huge jolt that I'm hard pressed to see anything else he could have done on his own matching.

None of which is to say Ed, Alex and their then-manager didn't try and pull a fast one in 1996, but even Roth admits he was never categorically told during that summer that he was back in the band on any basis beyond the Best Of (although Roth's claims that Ed told him there weren't any other singers being auditioned during that period are disingenuous, to say the least). I'm sure Ed knew Dave wanted to rejoin the band, and I think Ed may have wanted it to happen as well IF they could all get along. The problem was, Ed was juggling Mitch Malloy, Gary Cherone, Sammy Hagar, his unhappiness with Mike Anthony and all this other stuff at the same time the biz with Roth was taking place. Somehow, he (barely) managed to keep all the balls in the air until the Best Of was released. Then he just said fuck it.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Far as 1996 goes, I think Ed and Alex really had no clue how much people had missed CVH for the previous ten years.
                That was the root of the whole problem, confirmed in that MTV interview when Alex said --- "Going on tour with Dave would've been ripping off the fans".

Getting the legendary frontman that EVERYBODY wanted back in VH would've been ripping us off? The Dutch dickheads just spent 10 years with a liquor salesman who helped them achieve four consecutive #1 albums and it made them believe that anyone could front Van Halen and they'd be successful. So no reason to get Roth back in when some new guy would allow them to maintain control and still produce big-selling albums and tours.

Thank goodness Van Cherone was a failure and the mantra of "Dave or the grave" finally sunk into their pea brains.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by TJMKID
                  That was the root of the whole problem, confirmed in that MTV interview when Alex said --- "Going on tour with Dave would've been ripping off the fans".
                  I still remember hearing Al say that while MTV simultaneously aired an unflattering image of Dave. Funny how in the reunion blues chapter of CFTH, Dave said it was Al pushing him to get the crowds torqued up as they arrived at the awards. There's no way Al could believe his own shit about ripping off the fans. He knew, sitting in that fucking limo right beside him, was the man who could set it all right. I'll bet Alex's collapse that night in the press tent was 100% stress related. He knew damn well that he and Ed were playing with fire and the burn came quick.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I've never read or seen Ed's reaction to the CGTSNM lyrics before. Can someone post? Scraps, you have it?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'd like to hear the Stern show again when he let Dave hear How Many Say I...

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

I ain't heard that , Dave must have giggled his tits off
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They both did...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Oddly enough, if Ed and Dave did a song together with their speaking voices, they'd sound pretty damn similar. Think about it...

"come on too strong when a little's too much...."
                            "a Budhist riff for your inner ear...."

It's the same guy!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Bridge - did you hit your head last nite?? LOL!! Ed sounds like he's been gargling gravel. And balls

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Haha! I made a so I was kidding. Kind of. Dave's spoken word singing is at it's all time graveliest on Trouble With Never.

Comment

Working...