X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nigel
    Roadie
    • Mar 2004

Van Halen's Next Marketing Play?

OK, we've had a stellar 07/08 tour and an Ok 12/13 Tour with a new album. I think this next album has to be "VH Perfect" so that they can wean off the old tracks and start re-inventing themselves.

Let Eddie explore (no Wolfie interference) and go for an album
    with a wicked "single", a bluesy-smoky Roth tune, a Fair Warning type kick ass melodic blast, and pull it back from ADKOT overkill
    and go for those "classic" tunes that have fucking balls and melody
    like the 6 Pack always will have.

There's no reason VH can't own the Grammy's rather than watching Metallica re-tread a song with some crazy Chinese pianist.

I think they need to awake the mass market with "That was Van Halen"??? Just like Jump did in 1984.
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Wishful thinking Nige, but the time for that sort of reinvention was in '96 or '00.

Comment

• Nigel
      Roadie
      • Mar 2004

A fan can dream can't he? Sure they should have. . .etc. but its never too late to reinvent yourselves.

We do it in our advertising/marketing business all the time.

VH is totally capable of creating a new sound that is Van Halenized
      but perhaps goes more mainstream than some of the Wolfie inspired tunes on ADKOT.

As a long time fan, I want to hear mainstream melodies rather than Tremonti/Alterbridge
      "killing side of VH" blistering low-tuned noise.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Agreed, but like the Stones, no matter what they do at this point, only the die hard nuts like us will care what direction they go. I'm personally hoping for bluesy grooves and tasty hooks, but would prefer they don't try to come up with a "hit". That sort of radio fanfare is dead and whether they reach a new audience or not is inconsequential at this point. They don't currently seem particularly interested in the global domination of the rock world.

Comment

• Nigel
          Roadie
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
          "I'm personally hoping for bluesy grooves and tasty hooks"
          (So am I Mr. Bridge, so am I.) A rework of "Tell the Truth" would do it!
          "don't try to come up with a "hit". That sort of radio fanfare is dead and whether they reach a new audience or not is inconsequential at this point." Nothing scores like a hit, with or without radio

They don't currently seem particularly interested in the global domination of the rock world.
          Perhaps they don't but Roth does. It's Global Domination or go home.

Bottom line, I believe this next album (whether re-tread vault snippets) or true inspiration (fuck they have enough time in between the 85 phone calls), is totally within their grasp to gain the McCartney/Bon Jovi/Springsteen/U2 kind of global domination without sounding like any of the forementioned.

Getting your ass on TV would certainly help, if they ever take the gag order off Mr. Roth.

Nice banter DLR Bridge, this is a nice diversion from writing brochures.

Cheers

Nigel

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

A for effort....

But not gonna happen with an anti-marketing, anti-fanbase, anti-archives person like EVH.....

Just stating facts....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Next album... maybe they're busy shopping labels again. You won't find any mention of them on Interscope...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                Next album... maybe they're busy shopping labels again. You won't find any mention of them on Interscope...
                Interesting.. I guess they had a 1-album deal? Imagine what that could accomplish with real management and just a little bit of drive on Ed's part..
                Originally posted by wiseguy
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Nigel
                  Roadie
                  • Mar 2004

How many West Coast Record labels are there? It was Roth's decision to go with Interscope
                  and the band went along, after Roth complained about Columbia/Sony, since his contract is different.

Dave likes to create "conflict" around album time, just to get some free press
                  and besides we are all used to things not going smoothly. Makes it more interesting.

Maybe Dave finally wants to do what he does best, which is do all the promotion
                  while the VH family comb Cody's fur, eat brown M&M's and have coffee with Wolfie.

As long as Eddie doesn't start playing that large mandolin and going Ritchie Blackmore on us.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Hmmm...seems like Dave was supposed to be handling most of the promotion last time around.
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• big fatty
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jul 2004

Friday Music President Joe Reagoso Examiner Interview

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.
                      Last edited by big fatty; 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Zing!
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                        Hmmm...seems like Dave was supposed to be handling most of the promotion last time around.
                        He handled the promotion about as well as the tour vocals...
                        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          Who knows what the agreement was, but I can't say Interscope's effort would warrant them continuing on with the relationship. Could it be any worse elsewhere?
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                            Who knows what the agreement was, but I can't say Interscope's effort would warrant them continuing on with the relationship. Could it be any worse elsewhere?
                            Agreed, the effort was pretty weak. I have to wonder how much of that was the band (Eddie) not wanting to play ball and promote. A little social media can go a long way, just ask Kody.
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by VAiN
                              A little social media can go a long way, just ask Kody.
                              Shit, I'd do it for free...

Wait a second, I HAVE been doing it for free, WTF am I talking about !!!
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...