New 3 hour High Definition audio/video recording of Van Halen tribute band Fan Halen

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

It's like this...

I love The Beatles...

But I'm not interested in this kind of thing at all...

It's a bit creepy...

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      C'mon dude, he looks worse than Dave in a mask...

Ten times worse...

I cringe watching this kind of garbage...

They do sound OK, but the look thing is ridiculous...

Van Halen never looked or acted like whatever it is these guys are doing...

It discredits the original, IMO...

So what. They look like they're having fun and sound good to me. Homo.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

It's like this...

I love The Beatles...

But I'm not interested in this kind of thing at all...

It's a bit creepy...
        Boooorrrrrinnnngggg...Let's fight!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          So what. They look like they're having fun and sound good to me. Homo.
          Homos having a good time? This is the Roth Army. Not a fucking Chickenfoot site.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I enjoyed that video, Derek.

If you'd like any feedback - and feel free to stick it straight in the trash - I'd say that a little more energy on stage might help. The playing is great though.....
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Southpaw
              Roadie
              • Jan 2009

Again, I have to agree with Elvis. The way DLR and EVH performed onstage wasn't an act, it was a lifestyle. Are these "cover " bands talented? No doubt, they sound impressive. I also cringe when watching VH cover bands. It's alot easier going out to perform in front of 500? people wearing spandex when everyone knows you're imitating someone. To go out in front of 20,000 in assless chaps takes mother fuckin balls baby! One of my favorite Dave quotes " you go fishing with a pole and net, I go with a camera and a frying pan. You hope for the best, I expect it" That my fellow DLR heads is the difference between The original and a copy.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Southpaw
                Again, I have to agree with Elvis. The way DLR and EVH performed onstage wasn't an act, it was a lifestyle. Are these "cover " bands talented? No doubt, they sound impressive. I also cringe when watching VH cover bands. It's alot easier going out to perform in front of 500? people wearing spandex when everyone knows you're imitating someone. To go out in front of 20,000 in assless chaps takes mother fuckin balls baby! One of my favorite Dave quotes " you go fishing with a pole and net, I go with a camera and a frying pan. You hope for the best, I expect it" That my fellow DLR heads is the difference between The original and a copy.
                No doubt. The original was the best. But you can't get that stuff no more.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Just for that...

fuck you for making me click on that!
                  Roth Army Icon
                  First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Southpaw
                      Again, I have to agree with Elvis. The way DLR and EVH performed onstage wasn't an act, it was a lifestyle.
                      I don't have to agree with Elvis... rarely do.

I have to disagree with the onstage antics of DLR & EVH wasn't an act. 98% of every live Van Halen performance was choreographed, planned and even practiced down to which joke and punchline were delivered between the same song break nite after nite... For the small percentage of variation that occurred during a show was usually due to some minor distraction or equipment malfunction that interrupted the flow of the show.

You could darn near set your watch by the routine duration of a VH show... from beginning to end you won't find much more than a minute or two deviation.

Don't take my post wrong... everything in a VH show is uniquely special... just little to none was spontaneous and unplanned. Even Dave's fishing quote which has been reused/recycled tons of times.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        Don't take my post wrong... everything in a VH show is uniquely special... just little to none was spontaneous and unplanned.
                        I have to disagree with you. There's nothing planned or practiced about a VH show. I mean, just look at this short clip. You can't plan or practice this kind of explosive energy!

Comment

• Zing!
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          Don't take my post wrong... everything in a VH show is uniquely special... just little to none was spontaneous and unplanned. Even Dave's fishing quote which has been reused/recycled tons of times.
                          Wait a sec - are you telling me Minneapolis/St. Paul ISN'T the rock and roll capitol of the world?
                          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR4VH
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                            I enjoyed that video, Derek.

If you'd like any feedback - and feel free to stick it straight in the trash - I'd say that a little more energy on stage might help. The playing is great though.....
                            Hey thank you for the feedback! I don't like to make excuses but to our defense we had just played at the San Diego House of Blues the night before (roughly 2.5-hours away) and then had to be at this gig the next morning by 8:30a. Our first set was at 12p and the crowd was just starting to arrive...if you notice later in the day the energy of both the band and the crowd picks-up (I'm sure Beer had a lot to do with it ). Another note is we played for three hours that day and played many songs we haven't played since we played there last year (Sinner's Swing was the first time ever) so it's not our "typical" set or "typical" show but we love to do it because it gives us an opportunity to play songs we almost never play.

Finally, we're just huge fans like everyone here. We don't think we're Van Halen and we know NO one can duplicate the fire that Van Halen brought to the stage every night back in the day. We also totally understand how some people don't get it or even cringe when they see grown adults acting like someone else but in the end we're having a blast doing this and the people who come to our shows really do have a great time. Trust me I would have never guessed in a million years I'd be doing this but the band keeps growing in popularity with almost 80,000 fans on Facebook (www.facebook.com/fanhalen) so what the hell as long as venues keep booking us and people keep coming to our shows I guess we'll just keep on ROCKIN' (I suppose there's worse hobbies to have).

-Derek

Here's a video from the stage view...
                            Last edited by DLR4VH; 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                              I have to disagree with you. There's nothing planned or practiced about a VH show. I mean, just look at this short clip. You can't plan or practice this kind of explosive energy!

Yep... that was choreographed to the hilt...

It was one of those quiet, intimate moments where you could set your beer down and scratch your nuts!!!
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                                Wait a sec - are you telling me Minneapolis/St. Paul ISN'T the rock and roll capitol of the world?
                                Hell no, it ain't. It's Baltimore-Washington. Duh.

Comment

Working...