New 3 hour High Definition audio/video recording of Van Halen tribute band Fan Halen

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    Oh, c'mon E...don't you think you're being really tough on them? I do.

What's wrong with that ??

They need some work and I freely offer my constructive criticism...

These guys are good...They're OK...They're pretty good on the simple songs...they're delivering that summertime feel good that Van Halen...THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN...used to deliver. I don't get that impression. The guy even has Dave's bantering down. That's one of the worst parts of the whole show. They sounded great and they all looked like they were having a blast. Bull...besides the singer, they're just standing there with manufactured facial expressions, and they sure don't sound anywhere near "great" on songs like Outta Love Again... I didn't see anyone in the crowd complaining or tossing stuff at them like in the Blues Brothers so why are you?

Because they asked for it...they threw it up on this message board and I happen to hang out here...So, being the supreme asshole and VAN HALEN fan that I am, I obliged...

If it's just jealousy...let it go bro. Worry about yourself, OK ?? Don't carry that weight. You have issues... Look at the vid again and like some have said...if you can do better to the point that you have to crucify them...post that stuff up! I don't have any EVH striped PJs... I feel he's delivering a service to the board. What service is that ?? He's been able to be a huge fan and show it by playing Van Halen the way it should be played. Hell, the show I saw in Tampa...he's playing better than Eddie! That's not a shock. EVH has gone from one of the best live players ever to one of the worst...

Yes...bassplayer is and always has been terrible. Now you're really sounding like a retard... There's a reason why he never went anywhere or ever wrote a song. He is the weakest link in Van Halen...ALWAYS was. He was number 3 in Van Hagar even! Being Mona's little stage bitch playing Chickenshit...wtg big guy! Like I said, you have issues... Utter shit when a kid with just Eddie's DNA is light years ahead of a man with over 30 years of professional musicianship.

That's just silly...

Wolf is OK on ADKOT, but he sounds like crap live...

Van Halen without MA means no more tickets for me, period...

I'll buy the next album, but I've given enough of my money to Van Halen live with Wolfie and a sub-par Dave...

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by thismusicsux
      Even though the CVH tours were fairly scripted (mostly Dave) and didn't change much from show to show, there was still an authenticity to it and it was their real lifestyle no doubt. No acting. I wouldn't say it was choreographed or forced, but was well 'rehearsed' and definitely mind-blowing.

When doing tribute bands these days you kinda have to do the act. although it can be hard to take at times. And especially w VH it's very hard to replicate the act w/o coming off cheesy. But whatever...
      I never questioned the authenticity of a Van Halen live show... It was real as hell.

The original statement I replied to was the claim that it wasn't an act, but a lifestyle. I still say bullshit on that!! The only lifestyle aspect displayed on stage was their drunkenness and being under the influence of drugs.

Don't misunderstand... being "an act" isn't a bad thing. It's the primary element of entertainment and show biz... Van Halen was one of the biggest and best acts in rock history!!! But let's not elevate the stage show and shenanigans to be some mystical lifestyle of the rich, famous and in limited cases iconic musicians. What you saw on stage is not how those fellas lived their lives... maybe with the exception of the booze and drugs.

Sorry to spoil the party but if you followed Van Halen's history... that so called grand "Lifestyle" pretty much led all but the bass player to not so happy places.

Tribute bands have their place, I suppose. I played in a Led Zeppelin tribute in 1980... then a Doors tribute in 83. That one was pretty realistic when the singer died from a heroin overdose... That sealed the deal on me ever going down that road again. The best I ever saw was Randy Hansen's Machine Gun.

I figure you got to be pretty brave to try and replicate classic VH in a tribute band... even braver to want to discuss it on this board!!
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Comment

• thismusicsux
          Full On Cocktard
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I never questioned the authenticity of a Van Halen live show... It was real as hell.

The original statement I replied to was the claim that it wasn't an act, but a lifestyle. I still say bullshit on that!! The only lifestyle aspect displayed on stage was their drunkenness and being under the influence of drugs.
          I'm with you. But I guess it's hard to define what was real lifestyle vs stage show. Both involved drinking, drugs and partying. And they were real as fuck all around. But we know the shows were well "rehearsed"

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Yes...bassplayer is and always has been terrible.
            Just for that, you get Chickenface...

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yeah... The bass playing really killed that chickenshit performance...

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                Yeah... The bass playing really killed that chickenshit performance...
                I guess Elvis was trying to show me that I was right. bassplayer is persona non grata even in Chickenshit!!! LMMFAO!!!! Who knew Elvis loved him some Spammy McGaygar and the Snuggie wearing bald penis strapped with a guitar??
                http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

Can we not ban Elvis , surely postinga chickenshit video counts as an erect penis . Actually two .
                  fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                    Can we not ban Elvis , surely postinga chickenshit video counts as an erect penis . Actually two .
                    Cock pics are legal now. So long as they're not too big.
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                      Cock pics are legal now. So long as they're not too big.
                      Mate big is relative , am a Geordie it's cold ,if you have an outy your ron jeremy.
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Crap like that won't get him banned... Von will see that shit, get a chubby and promote E to super mod!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

That chickenface was better than Fan Halen in PJs...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            That's just silly...

Wolf is OK on ADKOT, but he sounds like crap live...

Van Halen without MA means no more tickets for me, period...

I'll buy the next album, but I've given enough of my money to Van Halen live with Wolfie and a sub-par Dave...
                            I completely agree. I also don't hold it against Mike that he doesn't write. His bass playing was and is solid. I never rated how strong of a link each member of the band was. Did he deserve as much $ as Ed or Dave for the song writing? No, but it was the bands group decision to split the booty 4 ways when they were young and stupid.

I posted a clip of Mike doing Hear About It Later a year ago. He handled the lead vocals and played bass, of coarse. It was a more faithful rendition than what I heard on the ADKOT tour.

Should Wolf stay put, so be it, but a return from Mike is what it would take for me to shell out for a show again.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

The only thing Al writes are alimony checks. Somehow that gets lost in the never-ending-Mikey-argument...

And I gotta agree with Bridge - I ain't payin' for another tour unless it's the real deal. I don't care if Wolfie can heal cripples with his magical bass playing - it ain't Van Halen and it don't sound like Van Halen. Of course, it would help if Dave would quit that screeching he seems to like. But that's a whole 'nother argument.
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR4VH
                                Full On Cocktard
                                • Jun 2004

Haters gonna hate...you got paid for it though!

I enjoyed it...a lot!

Saw my favorite song by them was in your setlist...I cheated and went right to that first..."Outta Love Again"...he makes bassplayer look like a fumbling moron...Wolfie reminded me how terrible he really was...but your guy...whoa...he's good. On playing the bass that is...the background vocals need some help but if that's all I have to rip on then take that away and have a laugh at my expense. I have no problem with tribute bands when they're done well...back in the late 80's early 90's there was a band called "The Back Doors"...they SLAYED it. The guy sang and moved like Jim...the rest of the band really looked like their counterparts too but the guy playing Jim...he lead credence to the rumor that Jim was still alive!

I really like the fact that when you're playing guitar...you smile a lot...you should...you guys rock.
                                Hey thanks for the kind words! For the record, I didn't post the video here the guy who shot it did. Also, I went back and listened to Outta Love Again because as I was curious how we did on it and I thought it was pretty good when you take into consideration the band has not played that song since the last time we played this venue a year earlier. I totally winged the solo :-)

Finally, for the comments the band is just standing there there's an explanation, again we haven't played many of these songs in a year so you tend to concentrate a little more on playing your instrument rather than jumping around doing "flying Eddie." You can see a difference on songs like Ain't Talkin' or Panama, which are songs we play every set so you can see we're jumping around a lot more.

Thank you again and I'm glad you liked the band!

-Derek

Comment

Working...