Are we seriously never getting a 2008 DVD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I would prefer that the perform predominantly newer things and perhaps some oddball covers, but for some reason, the needs of the casual fan always come first. When I saw them in '12, there were suits with comped tickets seated near me, fist pumping all the way through RWTD. Same guys could give a shit that Girl Gone Bad or The Trouble With Never were being torn through. In fact, the overall crowd response to the rare tunes was weaker in comparison to the songs they've played to death. The band is aware of that and that's why they end with Jump every damn time.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      I've never understood the rationale, such as the one Bette suggested, that simply because many of the songs on ADKOT were ones that VH worked on back in the day, but never got onto any of the six pack, that they should be looked upon negatively now that the band actually put them on an album. I believe Bette used the term "originality".....

Let's just ignore the fact that Bette used the word "originality". That's an entire hysterical thread in itself....

Is there a statute of limitations when it comes to songwriting? Did I miss the memo on that?

Regardless of the age of the song(s), the vast majority of those re-works sounded damn good to me. Who gives a fuck that VH worked on them previously?

Those unoriginal re-works sounded better than 99% of the songs that "rock bands" have been making in the last 20 years.....
      It's pretty ridiculous that we are even having this conversation...the only reason we know of these songs is becasue of the release of demos, etc. Van Halen is a victim of their own success...how dare they re-release what was never released...lol
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mh5150
        Not yet
        Yes
        No
        Nothing wrong with Tony Montana. He created jobs for people.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-30-2014, 12:49 PM.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The best way to judge music is not to think about it. I bought A Different Kind of Truth but once the curiosity wore off I found myself never playing it. I found myself reaching for Women and Children First or Van Halen II instead. Your instinct will naturally gravitate to what's good. If you have to stop and think about it you are just trying to convince yourself it's good when maybe it's not all that great.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

There are parts of As Is that make me think it is one of their best songs...when I play it I don't want it to end...
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• 78/84 guy
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              The best way to judge music is not to think about it. I bought A Different Kind of Truth but once the curiosity wore off I found myself never playing it. I found myself reaching for Women and Children First or Van Halen II instead. Your instinct will naturally gravitate to what's good. If you have to stop and think about it you are just trying to convince yourself it's good when maybe it's not all that great.
              I must like it a lot then. And I do. Except the mix. I can honestly say I love the album. I think half those songs or more would have been classics if it was released in 1985. As Is, You & Your Blues, Honeybaby & Chinatown. Sure Dave would have sounded better and I would have preferred Ed's older tone but I don't care. I get it's not 1985 and take it for what it is. A pretty good batch of tunes just like on 1984. Just by an older band. And yea Ed start releasing shit will ya for fucks sake !! Even if it's new. How bout a 6 song E.P. and you can just stay home. I just want some more new music.
              Last edited by 78/84 guy; 10-01-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                There are parts of As Is that make me think it is one of their best songs...when I play it I don't want it to end...
                Same here. And that's the first time they've made me feel that way about one of their songs since the fade to House Of Pain.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Apr 2005

I can put As Is right in the top 10 as one of my favorite VH songs no problem.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                    I can put As Is right in the top 10 as one of my favorite VH songs no problem.
                    That statement requires a degree of acceptance, as in "must accept as is".

Comment

• Angel
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Ranks right up there with my all-time favourite, Sinner's Swing. As Is and HBSD are my two top songs on ADKOT.
                      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                        I must like it a lot then. And I do. Except the mix. I can honestly say I love the album. I think half those songs or more would have been classics if it was released in 1985. As Is, You & Your Blues, Honeybaby & Chinatown. Sure Dave would have sounded better and I would have preferred Ed's older tone but I don't care. I get it's not 1985 and take it for what it is. A pretty good batch of tunes just like on 1984. Just by an older band. And yea Ed start releasing shit will ya for fucks sake !! Even if it's new. How bout a 6 song E.P. and you can just stay home. I just want some more new music.
                        Just imagine how great ADKOT could have been if it had been mixed and mastered using 1985 industry audio engineering standards... where there's actual stereo spacial separation and every damn noise isn't crammed into the sound space like a fucking size 12 fat woman into a size 5 pair of jeans!!

For example...

80's mix:

2012 ADKOT mix:

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Terry
                          At THIS point Van Halen IS a nostalgia band. And that's what it is. However, if the choice to release a CVH dvd comes down solely to the Van Halens wanting to do it or not (and not working out licensing fees and legal hassles with the footage), it makes no sense given what has transpired since 1998 for the band NOT to do it.
                          Did you want to hear more of the ADKOT stuff on the last tour? I ask because that's the line for me relative to nostalgia. If you're not in to the newer stuff and just want to hear the old favorites for the 1000th time, that's nostalgiaville for me. I wish they'd played 8 or 9 of the new cuts last time out as I thought the ADKOT shit was that good. I would've much rather heard As Is or Outta Space than say I'll Wait or You Really Got Me. I realize they have their catalog of "shit we have to play every time" but they still have a lot of flexibility with their old catalog and the ADKOT stuff. They're almost making themselves a nostalgia band by sticking to mostly the same setlist all the time. How awesome would it be if they rotated in like 3-4 more ADKOT tunes and threw in some deeper cuts like Fools, Loss of Control, D.O.A., Light Up The Sky, etc.? Hell even changing the setlist order would help. (Gee, I wonder if Jump will be the "encore". And for that matter, do actual encores. Yeah, there's some old hatness to it, but who doesn't like encores?)

If the past is prologue, they won't do any this, but there is potential there to be more than a nostalgia band if they'd just do it. And for christ's sake, release that old footage!

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            The band is aware of that and that's why they end with Jump every damn time.
                            Blasphemy...

May you star in an Alex Jones propaganda video...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Blasphemy...

May you star in an Alex Jones propaganda video...
                              Now that's not nice at all.
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Lame...

As usual...

Comment

Working...