Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

At least somebody takes some initiative in the rock world....

Bruce Springsteen has updated his concert archives with one of the most requested shows in E Street history: An August 9, 1978 Cleveland gig.

Bruce Springsteen Adds Legendary 1978 Cleveland Show to Concert Archives

Oft-bootlegged E Street Band performance from Cleveland's Agora Theatre officially available for first time with pristine stereo sound

Just over a month after Bruce Springsteen launched his archival concert project live.brucespringsteen.net, the E Street Band rocker has updated the download service with one of the most in-demand gigs from his legendary Darkness on the Edge of Town jaunt: An August 9th, 1978 performance from Cleveland, Ohio's Agora Theatre and Ballroom.

The Agora show was originally simulcast in its entirety by local rock station WMMS to celebrate that radio station's 10th anniversary, Ultimate Classic Rock writes. The concert kicks off with a rendition of Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" before Springsteen and the E Street Band deliver a setlist packed with Darkness tracks mixed with covers like "Gloria," "Not Fade Away" and concert closer "Twist and Shout." The Agora show also features the unique Darkness tour second set opener "Paradise By the 'C'."

As the concert was broadcast over the radio, bootleg copies of the gig have circulated for years, giving it a near-mythological reputation among fans. However, this archival release marks the first time the performance has been officially released. The concert offers pristine sound quality thanks to a stereo mix cultivated from seven 1/4-inch reels that Springsteen's concert archivist Toby Scott unearthed after repeated requests to release the concert.

"I found the seven Agora tape reels in a box that had been returned from the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame," Scott wrote of the Agora show. "The tapes were part of an exclusive Springsteen exhibit 'Asbury Park to the Promised Land.' It wasn’t until the request to release this show came up that the tapes needed to be found. Not at Sony, not at Thrill Hill Archives, not at the archiving company. Last known location was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They informed me what box to look in and there they were, marked with the original indication of speed, tracks and show date."

The Agora concert is available to download now at live.brucespringsteen.net, while CD copies of the live album will start shipping January 23rd.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I used to work across the street from the old Agora, where that Springsteen show was recorded.

That show is legendary around here. WMMS used to air a bunch of shows live from the Agora, sometimes during the day as a "Coffeebreak Concert" or a night time show. When WMMS got sold to Clear Channel (and most of the staff got fired) a lot of the live recordings disappeared.

The current Agora is a shithole...
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Well, VA is on the mark here - I have a bunch of great VH bootlegs. I can understand there's a lot of reasons for not wanting to work on old stuff if yuou are - as people say - a perfectionst like EVH.

But why not just buy 'em up and have an official bootleg imprint / outlet? It's what the Doors did, and - FFS - has sustained Bob Dylan's legend - the last 30 years have seen a continual stream of archival stuff from Bob Dylan and other 'old fogeys'.

VH just need to either (a) go to therapy and figure out why they don't want to express themselves: or (b) finally fucking realize that aside from Aerosmith and The Doors, there is no other claim on the mantle of 'greatest American rock'n'roll band'.

Start living up to it, you pricks!
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• BiG_Troubles
          Full On Cocktard
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ELVIS
          I'll watch a couple of songs on YouTube...

you've changed. i don't like it.

beeker.jpg

Comment

• fwacf
            Roadie
            • Jul 2004

OY!
            It's not happening till the BAND says its happening!
            When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BiG_Troubles
              you've changed. i don't like it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12201[/ATTACH]
              Understatement of the century....
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

It's still puzzling to me why Van Halen don't want to capitalize on their history.

Unless there are some sort of legal stipulations over ownership rights, I can't see why the band haven't released this vault stuff.

It's like, people will pay money for this! People want to see it! Here's our money...take it!
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

That's why I never understood the accusations of the band doing "cash grab" tours. If they really wanted a grab at some cash, they could package (and repackage and repackage) a ton of live and unreleased studio material. Touring costs a lot of money. CDs are manufactured for somewhere around a dollar and change. Product is, and will always be, the number 1 cash cow. Just ask George Lucas or Jimmy Page.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You are about 10 years out of date with that post.

The 2007/8 tour grossed over $90m the 2012 tour over $50m.

ADKOT sold a million copies. I seriously doubt there is anything that VH could release at this time which will make tens of millions. If it was that good people would just steal it.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Just call me Bridge Van Winkle.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Terry
                        It's still puzzling to me why Van Halen don't want to capitalize on their history.

Unless there are some sort of legal stipulations over ownership rights, I can't see why the band haven't released this vault stuff.

It's like, people will pay money for this! People want to see it! Here's our money...take it!
                        Indeed. Surely any management company would suggest it? There must be resistance towards it in the band....
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• mh5150
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2010

WHERE IS THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN? 📢📢📢📡📡📡

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            You are about 10 years out of date with that post.

The 2007/8 tour grossed over $90m the 2012 tour over $50m.

ADKOT sold a million copies. I seriously doubt there is anything that VH could release at this time which will make tens of millions. If it was that good people would just steal it.
                            Clearly the largest stream of revenue the band can hope to realize now comes from touring.

Hopefully the mindset in the band isn't one of thinking it's not even worth the bother to release a CVH live dvd because the profits will be impacted by people copying/downloading it for free.

Ed said something along those lines in 2011, to the effect of why even bother putting out a new album, because people will just burn a copy of it off the net rather than pay for it. What did ADKOT end up selling? About 650,000 copies? Whatever the net band profit per copy sold was couldn't have been too high - say, between $1 to $2 per copy as a guess?

Even if a live CVH dvd were to sell a million copies (and that would be a very generous estimate), the return wouldn't be anything close to what they'd rake in on the road. On the other hand, they don't have to actually go out and work when releasing a dvd...
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                              On the other hand, they don't have to actually go out and work when releasing a dvd...
                              Correctamundo. When the touring is through, and believe me, Dave's pipes and back want it to be through, they'd be fools not to ride the product train. Like George & Jimmy.

I'm curious as to what the band's net was on the past tour. There is an awful lot of overhead to be divided within the gross. Still a nice chunk, I'm sure, but touring is an expensive venture.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Y'all make a good point about putting out product and not really having to go out and work... a few hours a week reviewing content in a nice studio and making change suggestions isn't exactly hard work.

I also have got to wonder... how much income do they require to live comfortably at their age?

Their houses should be paid for... a couple of million $$ invested conservatively should generate enough income annually to pay taxes, keep the house heated, lights on and food in the fridge. None of them except Dave seem to travel extensively nor have expensive partying habits or hobbies...

Do they really need to go out and tour extensively to turn $10 million each in order to live comfortably the remainder of their lives..?
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...