X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
    I am glad you got your panties in a twist over it anyhoo...

I really like it. I love the Oakland show like everyone else, but is that really Dave's best live performance of the song? If I listened to a dozen boots I would probably find one I liked better, but this version is not anywhere near as bad as you are saying.

Btw, where exactly did I say "greatest version Ever" that would be nowhere in my post.
    Well, you did say that you think he nailed it better than any other performance you've heard, but I was assuming you meant of all of the HAILs from this past tour. If that's the case, you may be right. His take on it the year it came out was great. I have the music stripped from the video and plugged into my I Tunes. I love that version start to finish, almost better than the album.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
      If you listen to a dozen boots, and only find one better than this one, you might want to go get your ears checked out.
      I dunno...maybe me liking it can be attributed to just having another great day blazing on the highway and was enjoying the new live Halen. I suppose I should trash it after listening to 3 songs, post nothing but negativity over the demise of Van Halen and how Mikey could save it all.
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Ya know, Thursday is my day off. I usually go to Winn/Dickme and Publix, stock up on foodstuffs. Yet tomorrow, I'll also drive a little bit further to Barnes & Noble (Best Buy is like ten miles away, and Target never has anything) and buy the God-damned thing. Like Von, I may only listen to it once, yet what the fuck.

The dingbats still could have given us a T-shirt, bumper sticker or a poster, instead of...Oh, gee wiz...the first and last albums as a bonus, fer twenty bucks extra.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
          I dunno...maybe me liking it can be attributed to just having another great day blazing on the highway and was enjoying the new live Halen. I suppose I should trash it after listening to 3 songs, post nothing but negativity over the demise of Van Halen and how Mikey could save it all.
          Who only listened to 3 songs?

Why would Mike make any difference in the way Dave is butchering some of these songs? I have zero issues with the bass playing, or harmonies on this album.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Alright boys. Settle down. Save some anger for the clips of Jump being played live on Ellen tomorrow.

Jump??

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by chefcraig
              Ya know, Thursday is my day off. I usually go to Winn/Dickme and Publix, stock up on foodstuffs. Yet tomorrow, I'll also drive a little bit further to Barnes & Noble (Best Buy is like ten miles away, and Target never has anything) and buy the God-damned thing.
              Best Buy and Barnes & Noble in the city don't have it. New York fucking City. Way to push the product fellas. It's bad enough those are my only choices left for music shopping besides on-line. Technology can go fuck it's self. I'm goin' to bed. Angry.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                Alright boys. Settle down. Save some anger for the clips of Jump being played live on Ellen tomorrow.

Jump??
                I simply can not fathom this. Fortunately, it's my day off, so whenever the show appears I will be so legless that whatever happens will have nothing other than a dulling effect on me. Of course, I 'll need to sober up for the golf match and throw dinner together by then...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Mushroom
                  Commando
                  • Jul 2009

I'm temporarily working on one of those Hawaiian islands. Drove into armpit city to look for the CD. Hey Target had it for $16 bucks. Sure what the fuck. I am impressed I found it here. Compare to Led Zep's Physical Graphitti which took forever to land here.

Now about the record:

The band is tight. Dave is embarrassingly out of key at times. But that was expected. This record should have highlighted ADKOT. Dave would have nailed more songs because that material captured Dave and his style in the present moment. However it seems his vocals are tucked away in the mix when he could not remember the words in the new songs.

But there are some good performances here. After listening to most of disc 1: Everybody Wants Some!! You Really Got Me. I'm the One.

It's entertainment!
                  Last edited by Mushroom; 04-02-2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                    I swear if you can get through that Natl anthem without laughing..I owe you a beer
                    but it fits to the current state of your country
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• WACF
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      Who only listened to 3 songs?

Why would Mike make any difference in the way Dave is butchering some of these songs? I have zero issues with the bass playing, or harmonies on this album.
                      I would love to hear this with no vocals...the playing sounds excellent.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Interesting little tidbit in the liner notes: "All songs Van Halen/Roth except noted below (meaning Oh Pretty Woman and You Really Got Me)". So much for any forthcoming revenue to Mike Anthony....

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          They couldn't/wouldn't do that because they couldn't have any of the new tracks, Wolfgang was way too green, the backing vocals were piped in and Eddie was nowhere close to where he is now even on his better nights.
                          Still sounded better...

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Still sounded better...
                            I'd rather hear the band off than the vocalist...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BenJammin
                              still impressed he pulled off Atomic Punk so well on that tour !
                              This is so good it's classic already...

The amazing thing is Dave looks about 30 years younger...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                                This is so good it's classic already...

The amazing thing is Dave looks about 30 years younger...
                                while ed looks totally hammered...
                                Roth Army Icon
                                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...