X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
    That's what I don't get. The entire show (not just audio) is available on the Tubes. I'm assuming the sound quality will be better, but other than that, what's the motivation to by the live album?
    I'm starting to understand their marketing strategy, a flawed one to be sure!

By releasing a live album and a remastered 6-pack they're hoping to appeal to a younger fan base. Parents taking their kids to see one of their favorite bands has worked out great for the Stones, etc. So in that sense.........here's us live and if you liked that go back and listen to our back catalog, here it is remastered!

I'm sure they're looking at what Page has done and the success Zep has had with reissues.

The huge difference is..........Page put tons of extras in his remasters and anyone in this day and age puts out a DVD, not just an audio only album.

So in a classic VH way, they got it half right. Sure remaster stuff to bring the highest quality audio to market, release a live album to show the band's still got it but.........typical VH fashion take the absolute laziest half ass route!
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• SilvioDante
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2004

This whole thing is just a big kick in the nads....

You know, really, I can't figure out who I'm more mad at, the band or myself for getting sucked into this AGAIN! I feel like a battered spouse when the cops show up. I can't leave, I love them.

I have the concert I saw in 2012 on DVD and CD (thanks again HR wherever you are). I've watched it 2 times. Dave ain't Dave anymore. I know he's 60+ but that doesn't mean I have to waste my money on it.

I think they are going to be shocked how little it sells. NO ONE outside of the greatest of fan boys will purchase this thing. Crap, even the cover looks like a poor early 90's Clip Art job. I want new music.

Sorry boys, gonna have to pass on this.
      "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• BiG_Troubles
        Full On Cocktard
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SilvioDante
        This whole thing is just a big kick in the nads....

You know, really, I can't figure out who I'm more mad at, the band or myself for getting sucked into this AGAIN! I feel like a battered spouse when the cops show up. I can't leave, I love them.

I have the concert I saw in 2012 on DVD and CD (thanks again HR wherever you are). I've watched it 2 times. Dave ain't Dave anymore. I know he's 60+ but that doesn't mean I have to waste my money on it.

I think they are going to be shocked how little it sells. NO ONE outside of the greatest of fan boys will purchase this thing. Crap, even the cover looks like a poor early 90's Clip Art job. I want new music.

Sorry boys, gonna have to pass on this.
        agreed 100%. THIS IS A LAZY ASS MONEY GRAB. not even a new tune or two. like wtf? not even going to touch up Dave's voice? yikes.

get ready. Next "album" will be another "best of" ffs.

NEW TUNES GUYS. NEW doesn't mean re-packaged, or digitally remastered. Which by the way- How is this news? Didnt they already remastered the 6 pack already?

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          I bet I could make them win Zah. But they'd have to bust their balls. Well, as much as doing a media tour, and other things the right way, would be busting balls. I could turn this fan base on its fucking head. Any number of us could do that. But they would have to put their pride, and their ignorance aside. They would have to hear some things they don't want to hear, or can't seem to accept. There are ways to do the right things, they just aren't interested in doing them.

What is Ed's motivation behind this?
          What is Dave's motivation behind this?
          What is Al's motivation behind this?

Wolf? He's just sitting back collecting dough at this point. I gotta believe he is much happier in, and with, Tremonti at this point in his musical career. I'm sure he loves getting on stage with his Dad and Uncle, and playing those great songs. But let's be real. It's not doing shit for his creativity.
          I agree wholeheartedly... It could be done without any of those lazy, old fuckers even breaking a sweat. Hell you could light the whole media landscape on fire and fill the net with enough to feed the fans regularly and those idiots wouldn't even need to leave the house for most of it.

As you said... pride and ignorance would have to be moved out of the way. That will require several large trucks and multiple trips to move that load...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
            Maybe Dave is so enamored with the Japanese culture, because he really wants to be a Ninja!
            In a creepy wrassling mask and bunny-jammies...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chuckjitsu
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by kwame k
              I'm starting to understand their marketing strategy, a flawed one to be sure!

By releasing a live album and a remastered 6-pack they're hoping to appeal to a younger fan base. Parents taking their kids to see one of their favorite bands has worked out great for the Stones, etc. So in that sense.........here's us live and if you liked that go back and listen to our back catalog, here it is remastered!

I'm sure they're looking at what Page has done and the success Zep has had with reissues.

The huge difference is..........Page put tons of extras in his remasters and anyone in this day and age puts out a DVD, not just an audio only album.

So in a classic VH way, they got it half right. Sure remaster stuff to bring the highest quality audio to market, release a live album to show the band's still got it but.........typical VH fashion take the absolute laziest half ass route!
              If they're trying to appeal to a younger fan base, why don't they experiment with some different (read: younger) opening bands? I thought it was a bit ironic that Dave made an appearance at the Foo show because I thought FF would've made a great opening band for them on either of the last two tours. FF are headliners in their own right, but they love VH and I'd venture that they would have willing supported VH on those tours for at least part of the tour. Hell, let somebody like Rival Sons open some shows!

Of course, you don't really see the words "progressive" and "Van Halen" in the same sentence too often these days, so there is that.

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                Head Fluffer
                • Feb 2007

Thanks but no thanks. This is the ultimate in laziness. These guys are clueless as usual. Disappointing to say the least.

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

If they're trying to appeal to a younger fan base, why don't they experiment with some different (read: younger) opening bands? I thought it was a bit ironic that Dave made an appearance at the Foo show because I thought FF would've made a great opening band for them on either of the last two tours. FF are headliners in their own right, but they love VH and I'd venture that they would have willing supported VH on those tours for at least part of the tour. Hell, let somebody like Rival Sons open some shows!

Of course, you don't really see the words "progressive" and "Van Halen" in the same sentence too often these days, so there is that.
                  They always have had a history of having the worst or bands outside their genre open for them.......at least when Dave's with them.

The FF would be too much of a threat and unless they did like a huge festival tour where there were multiple bands, I don't see them bringing on another awesome band. Black Sabbath taught them that lesson.

Getting on one of the big festivals tours as the headliner and having a ton of younger bands would of been the smart play on the last two tours and would still be the best way to get their music to a younger set of ears.

Makes too much sense and might just make them more successful or relevant to the younger generations so obviously, that'll never happen.
                  E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    As you said... pride and ignorance would have to be moved out of the way. That will require several large trucks and multiple trips to move that load...
                    The issue is much like dealing with a shithead coworker: He/she behaves in a manner that is simply debilitating, yet management throws up their hands and states "Well, what am I gonna do about it? He/she works for the city, for Christ's sake..."

In an odd way, the befuddled and genuinely clue-free Van Halen business/management platform of the past 30 years or so has actually had the ironic benefit of teaching me all of what NOT to do in my professional life and finances.

Dickheads. Be one, hire several. And all the world revolves around you, while after a bit life seems to doubt your importance, let alone mere existence...

Damn. It used to be cool to be a VH fan. Now, nobody even notices the t shirt when I go food shopping.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by kwame k
                      They always have had a history of having the worst or bands outside their genre open for them.......at least when Dave's with them.

The FF would be too much of a threat and unless they did like a huge festival tour where there were multiple bands, I don't see them bringing on another awesome band. Black Sabbath taught them that lesson.

Getting on one of the big festivals tours as the headliner and having a ton of younger bands would of been the smart play on the last two tours and would still be the best way to get their music to a younger set of ears.

Makes too much sense and might just make them more successful or relevant to the younger generations so obviously, that'll never happen.
                      I could see them being leery of having a band like FF open for them and then being embarrassed when they start their show and half the crowd has left, but no guts, no glory! I mean Dave was willing to sing the lyrics to Hang 'em High off a piece of paper during a show last time out, so what the fuck?

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

The biggest disappointment for me is.........I really thought ADKOT was a classic VH album!

It had some new stuff and some reworking of older demos. Just like every album up to 1984 had!

I wasn't looking for a game changing album like VHI or a new Eruption just more of the same like ADKOT.

Oh well, I've pretty much vented enough about this new live fiasco! Plenty of great new underground music out there and some great surprises from older acts to fill 2015's music player!

I mean Dylan just released a cover of Sinatra standards so the bar was set kinda high anyways

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

I could see them being leery of having a band like FF open for them and then being embarrassed when they start their show and half the crowd has left, but no guts, no glory! I mean Dave was willing to sing the lyrics to Hang 'em High off a piece of paper during a show last time out, so what the fuck?
                          Sadly, if they tour it will be with another one of Bob Marley's kids opening or a reunited KC and the Sunshine Band and probably the exact same set list as 2012 with a couple of bones thrown in

Plenty of other great shows coming around metro Detroit in 2015!
                          Last edited by kwame k; 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                            Full Member Status

• May 2010

If you want Dave to sing thru the affection and -sensative butthole- box like all these big strong C&W manly men singers Rappers and 13 year olds who can,t write play or sing YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!!

You homos want Dave to sound like a display at the museum of Philly delllffia freeedom, audience response when they look upon all the wonderment of Eltons' piano chair.Tune your radio to what once was rock and roll.

Most music these days is sampled and destroyed by the producers...that is why there is no uniformity throught any one given disk... every song sounds like it was taped six months apart...WHY!!! because the buttons exist and people want to use all the buttons on the sound recording board..DIG IT!

Run it thru the computer "affectionatly yours box" that will make it sound good like Roddenberys wife on Star Trek do'in the," Computer Working " line.

Top notch rapperrs rap about getting tail capping cops thru the box and to me they sound like Bieber at a casting call if you know what i mean..?

PERHAPS THANK your ears VH and DLR retain the rights to their music after it is recorded...and it ISNTTTTT!!!! changed dramatically by a production team of 50 each getting his or her slash at it.

P.S. Cher was the only one who ever used the -Affections BOX- correctly in "Believe" if you don't choke up a bit, to on that tune your aren't alive. No one should have used it after that.
                            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                              Full Member Status

• May 2010

I am happy as i want to be, VH as a group sounds and plays exactly like they do.

If want to hear anything else I will listen to something else.

OH WAIT!!! Just think if Dave sounded like Sarah Brightman....perhaps one of the finest voices of all time.....yeah I get it, that's what you all want.

My bad, I thought you wanted to hear what they sound like in reality..and learn to accept it as it is..when i want to hear something other than DLR I change the cd.
                              2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                              clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• kwame k
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                                If you want Dave to sing thru the affection and -sensative butthole- box like all these big strong C&W manly men singers Rappers and 13 year olds who can,t write play or sing YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!!

You homos want Dave to sound like a display at the museum of Philly delllffia freeedom, audience response when they look upon all the wonderment of Eltons' piano chair.Tune your radio to what once was rock and roll.

Most music these days is sampled and destroyed by the producers...that is why there is no uniformity throught any one given disk... every song sounds like it was taped six months apart...WHY!!! because the buttons exist and people want to use all the buttons on the sound recording board..DIG IT!

Run it thru the computer "affectionatly yours box" that will make it sound good like Roddenberys wife on Star Trek do'in the," Computer Working " line.

Top notch rapperrs rap about getting tail capping cops thru the box and to me they sound like Bieber at a casting call if you know what i mean..?

PERHAPS THANK your ears VH and DLR retain the rights to their music after it is recorded...and it ISNTTTTT!!!! changed dramatically by a production team of 50 each getting his or her slash at it.

P.S. Cher was the only one who ever used the -Affections BOX- correctly in "Believe" if you don't choke up a bit, to on that tune your aren't alive. No one should have used it after that.
                                As usual with your huff head rants, I read the first line of your inane gibberish, Thome!

Who said they want an auto-tune Dave!

The fact is on the 2012 tour he was singing in that God awful high voice that he's convinced that is getting better with age, it isn't and it's not even on the original recordings. So it's not an issue of trying to sound like the record!

And his voice was a 1,000% better in 2008 but Ed was too fucked up then.

Ed was amazing in 2012 and Dave wasn't so crawl back in you trailer, huff some more glue and STFU!

Talk to Blaze lately

Comment

Working...