X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
    I cannot fucking believe they'd sit down and listen to that and go "Hey, I've got a great idea. Let's put out a live album of that!!"
    I am with you Von, but don't make me dig up footage of Mike screaming like his testicles are in a vice
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
      I am with you Von, but don't make me dig up footage of Mike screaming like his testicles are in a vice
      Haha! Yeah, there are some baddies in that department. Hang'em High comes to mind.

Comment

• fraroc
        Commando
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Phil theStalker

Ich wunsche euch allen einen schonen Samstagabend.

That drum set is as small as Spammy's penis.
        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

Wow this is painful , Von et al they got old. Just in ....Cassius clay is old to.
          Buy it or don't they don't owe you anything.

Fuck me i miss when they did fuck all and we just posted nudey pics.
          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• chuckjitsu
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2012

I cannot fucking believe they'd sit down and listen to that and go "Hey, I've got a great idea. Let's put out a live album of that!!"
            Well, in all fairness, DTNA was one (if not the) lamest song in all of 12-13 thanks to Dave changing the vocal melody to that ridiculous higher register (China Town was a close second thanks to Dave never singing the lyrics correctly).

All things considered, I thought Dave sounded pretty good in Tokyo. Would I rather have something from the glory days? Yeah, but what are you gonna do?

Comment

• RedZoneD25
              Full On Cocktard
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
              Well, in all fairness, DTNA was one (if not the) lamest song in all of 12-13 thanks to Dave changing the vocal melody to that ridiculous higher register (China Town was a close second thanks to Dave never singing the lyrics correctly).

All things considered, I thought Dave sounded pretty good in Tokyo. Would I rather have something from the glory days? Yeah, but what are you gonna do?
              Interesting. I'd have to give that nod to The Trouble with Never, just because I fundamentally disagree with that song being worthy of a live set to begin with. Hearing it did nothing to sway me. All I could think was "As Is" or "Outta Space" is SO much more suited for a live setting.

Hell, the song I was most excited to hear, Girl Gone Bad, was pretty ehh live.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

And that's what they are thinking. What are we gonna do ? BUY IT FUCKERS !!! It's all ya get !!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

If I play back VH II is DTNA the one you gravitate towards? I would play DOA Light up the sky, Outta Love, Doctor....those songs are begging to be played live. Hard to compare an era where they were played in their entirety every night to one where people are looking for just the hits.
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by RedZoneD25
                    Interesting. I'd have to give that nod to The Trouble with Never, just because I fundamentally disagree with that song being worthy of a live set to begin with. Hearing it did nothing to sway me. All I could think was "As Is" or "Outta Space" is SO much more suited for a live setting.

Hell, the song I was most excited to hear, Girl Gone Bad, was pretty ehh live.
                    Wouldn't miss TTWN at all. It is one of my least favorite songs on the album and should be banished from future setlists along with Tattoo as there are much better songs on that album to choose from.

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Wouldn't miss TTWN at all. It is one of my least favorite songs on the album and should be banished from future setlists along with Tattoo as there are much better songs on that album to choose from.
                      They think Tattoo is their modern day Jump. Neither of those songs will ever leave the setlist.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

They think Tattoo is their modern day Jump. Neither of those songs will ever leave the setlist.
                        Especially now that Dave is convinced he's a Japanese gangster. I hope he tattoos his head. And face. That would be cool.
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Tattoo was better the first time around.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think Tattoo is better than a lot of people here think. The problem with it is that it shouldn't have been the first single and it gave people a bit of a fright they never got over.

Back in the day bands would make sure they had their core audience on track at the first single/song and then go more commercial in the second and third.

Some late 80s examples would be that Def Leppard coming back from a big gap released Women as their first single which is maybe the most rocky number on an album that became a series of soccer mom singles. It's even funnier to think that the first Guns N Roses single was It's So Easy. Given that Van Halen weren't going to promote it properly with interviews, a proper video or promote it through radio they should have just released something less conservative.

TTWN is one of those songs that is a little less than the sum of it's parts. In my experience when you are writing songs quite often you have one that seems to tick the boxes, it's got the music, melody, lyrics and so on but eventually you are forced to admit for some reason it's not as good as it should be and it's impossible in those situations to analyze any further why. It's weird. At that point ideally a band that is producing lots of music can just say fuck it and put it aside. More often what happens is that it is kept because someone or a couple of people in the band don't want to give it up. The difference between the great bands and everyone else is that they have some mechanism be it insane talented dictator, super producer manager or no ego democracy that allows these painful decisions to happen. I don't think that happens so much now in Van Halen as it used to.
                            Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-10-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Tattoo, Big River, etc., all suffer from two things, in my opinion:

1. No Mikey

3. I can't stop hearing/singing the original lyrics

Now, for casual fans or newer fans it's not a problem. But if you've been listening to the old demos fordamnever it's kinda hard to listen to the new ones and not notice what's missing and not sing the old lyrics. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the new takes on the old stuff, but it's just one of those things that jumps out at me.

I almost never listen to ADKOT these days. I constantly rotate out the 37 or so bootlegs/demos and listen to them instead. And honestly, if we all liked the same shit - what would we fight about?
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                It's even funnier to think that the first Guns N Roses single was It's So Easy.
                                I think that was only true in the UK, but I can understand why.... even in the 80s, it was easier to get a three minute single on the radio from an unknown band than it was a much longer song like "Sweet Child" or "Paradise City". Not sure why they wouldn't have gone with "Welcome To The Jungle", except maybe they didn't want to lead off with lyrics that allude to violence, prostitution and other such things?

But as far as ADKOT goes, I definitely would have put out "She's The Woman" as the first single, and probably would have put it first on the CD as well. Even now, when I play the disc, I usually start with track 2.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...