X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
    What's worse, how far the mighty Van Halen has fallen, or how far our expectations from them have fallen?

When we're praising less than mediocrity from these guys, it's a sad state.
    I hear you. I have a feeling Dave is going to pick up his game this next tour. The thing is we all saw the 2007-08 tour and Dave's great performances....and then Ed this latest tour...the potential is there for greatness.

I still like the live show. What can I say?
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      I've never attacked this site... well I did rip mezro once for his mishandling of the forums, but never the site in general, never resigned my membership here, nor been banned for trashing it. Who's having memory issues now, old man..?
      Well, that is one interpretation I suppose.
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
        I have a feeling Dave is going to pick up his game this next tour. The thing is we all saw the 2007-08 tour and Dave's great performances...
        He's 8 years older and doesn't particularly take care of his instrument. I'd love to share your optimism, but father time and Dave's own carelessness are standing in the way of improvement at the moment. It's hope for the best, expect Tokyo or worse, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
          He's 8 years older and doesn't particularly take care of his instrument. I'd love to share your optimism, but father time and Dave's own carelessness are standing in the way of improvement at the moment. It's hope for the best, expect Tokyo or worse, I'm afraid.
          I tend to beat the heck out of my instrument.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Trunk is holding back from his usual bashing of Roth, he wants a interview and is playing the fence, he does say it well as you will notice for the first time he didn't mention Hagar while talking about VH, that is brownnosing at its finest.

As mentioned earlier, except for "Never was a good singer" he is mostly factual.

DLR was a great singer.

I will point out one more thing that I have never heard covered at this site touched on a little,... these song are 90% high energy tunes of our youth a different set of rules and a bullet proof approach to the notes and the lyrics. Ed and Al have lost a step and can't keep up either, but they are remarkable and the dedication to pull this style of music off at their age is not easy at all.

No one can sing these right at 60...not note for note....got any idea why Metalica slowed down the play in 1990 with that album everyone was upset about.....because even Hetfield (owe my arm hurts!) new he won't be able to play speed metal when he turns 50 and I may have to. So, lets write a slower set of rocks and rolls.

Punk is doable as any age, because it chops throught the measure speed metal is just punk without the, funk breaks....why I never liked speed metal but that is another story......

Stay tuned for more interesting STUFF!!!!!!
            Last edited by clarathecarrot; 03-26-2015, 07:18 AM.
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
              I tend to beat the heck out of my instrument.
              Yeah ya do!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

If Trunk would have simply stated that DLR was never known primarily for his singing ability as his main strength as the lead singer of Van Halen, I would've agreed with him 1000%, 'cause that's an absolute fact...

As we all know, Roth is/was the consummate frontman.... It wasn't just the singing, it was the athleticism, it was the bravado, it was the swagger, it was the humor, it was the stories, it was the hair, it was the body, it was the clothes.... Very, very few frontmen in Rock history could touch Dave with the complete package that he brought...

But he went overboard with his criticism that DLR could never sing..... That's simply untrue, but it's not surprising given his preference for his "good buddy" Samuel Roy Hagar....

Sure, DLR never had the pure rock singing voice of a Dio, Halford, and yes, even Hagar.....

But singing alone does not make a great rock frontman... If you saw Dio onstage, it's two hours of flashing the horns and little else, Halford with the same old song intros and little else, and Hagar, well, he's just a farce onstage....

So overall, I agreed with Trunk, but as he always does with Roth, he throws out subtle jabs at Roth while leaning towards Hagar once again.....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Sure, DLR never had the pure rock singing voice of a Dio, Halford, and yes, even Hagar.....
                  Hahahaha...

You Up For Breakfast ??

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
                    Even when I agree with Trunk I feel like I want to kick him in the face with a steel toe boot.
                    Who gives a shit about about his opinion on anything apart from the best place to get a donut in the middle of the night?

His far from slick shtick of self promotion, Cliff Clavin windbaggery combined with a simpering rimming of his guests is unwatchable.

It's bizarre that he somehow became the media face of classic rock in the US.

Jesus suffering anal can you imagine being cornered by him in the kitchen at a house party?

The only good thing he has been in was that Burt Reynolds movie...

]

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Jesus suffering anal...
                      Even though we agree on Eddie Trunk, you're still a douchebag...

Comment

• Never was
                        Foot Soldier
                        • May 2012

Dave sounds good on Pretty Woman. Again that asks the question why not clean up the god awful sections of Panama instead of leading with them. Bizarro choices by this band

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, pretty woman!

"I like wine, cheese and weed. In fact, I'm so stoned right now I'm wearing my bike lock as a necklace. See ya at Cherry Creek."

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Never was
                            Dave sounds good on Pretty Woman. Again that asks the question why not clean up the god awful sections of Panama instead of leading with them. Bizarro choices by this band
                            True...but another way to look at it is many of us should get a life and get over ourselves. Panama is a sure skip for me though
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Here is Never was at a Van Halen concert:

"Buffy, I do say those steps are taxing. You think they would have a shuttle service that takes us right to our seats."

"I concur, Muffy. And the nerve to not have recharging stations for our Subaru hybrid in the parking lot. Such a travesty."

"Say, Buffy, did you bring our duvets and bottled sparkling water?"

"They no longer allow those at shows like this with all these little people, dear. They might hurt themselves. Only Norte Dame graduates know how to drink water proper. Not like these trough leeching poor people."

"I concur."

"I concur."

"Say, Buffy, my Rolex tells me it's 16 seconds after 8:00 PM. Does it not say the show starts at 8:00PM? Get our attorney on your iPhone and let's sue for breech of contract."

"I'm on it, Muffy. Just like me confirm my appointment for my colonic irrigation..."

"Do you smell that, Buffy? Smells like marijuana. That couple over there toking away, why they drive a non-hybrid, gas-guzzling SUV! We should report them. Everyone knows weed only belongs in Cherry Creek with $800 Bordeaux and cheese only imported from Europe."

"Oh dear, Muffy. The band is too loud. CAN YOU TURN IT DOWN, PLEASE? WE'RE TRYING TO ENJOY THE SHOW!"

"Have the attorney on the phone yet, Buffy? We should also sue the band if we happen to accrue any hearing damage."

"Accrue. We're so educated, Muffy. Not like these little people."

"I concur."

"I concur."
                              Last edited by Kristy; 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Never was
                                Foot Soldier
                                • May 2012

Awesome Kristy you like a post about getting a life and the wrote an extended post on an imaginary conversation centered on someone who you never met. Now that's funny, thanks

Comment

Working...