Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

But this is where we get into the whole "diehards" vs. "casual fans" debate, and we here at the Army are all pretty much "diehards"...almost to a fault.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
      I dig it Von...and not disputing any of that. I just didn't want to get into any revisionist history about whose hit "Jump" was, or Dave's true stance on that particular song.

You're 100% right. He will ALWAYS perform it. But not because he WANTS to...but because he HAS to.

Personally, I'd trade front row seats at a live performance of "Jump" for crappy seats at a live performance of MWM, CGTSNM, or virtually any of the other songs we haven't been treated to on the last two tours.
      I don't care to ever hear Jump again. Live or otherwise.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
        I deliberately skip it whenever it comes up on my iPod, or on the radio.

If they did it in the middle of a show, it would be a beer run/bathroom break for me. But since it's usually the encore, I brace myself and get through it.
        Originally posted by perilouspete
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Jetstream
          Foot Soldier
          • Dec 2011

I did not hate Jump when it came out. I thought it was cool because it got one of my favorite bands on the radio constantly and stuck them at number one on the charts for a while but it is simply not a classic Van Halen song because a classic holds up. After one week of hearing it played nonstop on the radio, it got boring real quick like most pop driven songs. Now, it is just a sound filler and it is the one Van Halen song I do not care to ever hear again and yet it is their encore. I guess, what it accomplished forces them to play the dang thing but maybe at least change it up... maybe rewrite that fucker where the synths could be taken out of the song and basically do what Van Halen does best with a cover tune, cover Jump and make it sound harder and make Jump sound like a Van Halen song finally lol
          I got lost in the...

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Jump is the perfect song that goes as a perfect backing trac for that video they did,... it is almost as if the song loses something without that awesome video it is like a pairing that needs to be, in order to dig the song correctly.

It may be one of the best song vid combos ever...so full of what we all were about way back then...yup.
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• TFM_Dale
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Von Halen
              Ok, I take back what I said about your Kenny Gay Sheperd post, 100% agree with this.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by private parts
                25. Encore. Give Gary Cherone an on stage vasectomy
                Cherone sucks but I'll still take him over fagar, spammy's jealousy over Dave and all the dumb shit he has spouted about him gets him a spot on the lifetime "fuck off" list.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jan 2004

Actually, I find Jump to be as Van Halen as any other song from the six pack. Sure, Ed smiled his way through and made Ted and Dave record the song, but it was Dave that completely made the song his own with the lyrics. There is absolutely no doubt that Dave has his hands all over that song as much as Eddie.

Now, I'll Wait on the other hand...
                  I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• Jetstream
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
                    Actually, I find Jump to be as Van Halen as any other song from the six pack. Sure, Ed smiled his way through and made Ted and Dave record the song, but it was Dave that completely made the song his own with the lyrics. There is absolutely no doubt that Dave has his hands all over that song as much as Eddie.

Now, I'll Wait on the other hand...
                    Now, I'll Wait's lyrics are more Dave than Jump... a guy thumbing through a pin up magazine and selecting who he wants to lay because he is Dave and he can, hence he will not be 'waiting' long lol
                    I got lost in the...

Comment

• RedZoneD25
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Jan 2012

I obviously wasn't around when 1984 was released so my opinion is of a different mindset, but as a neutral party who didn't have to (over)hear Jump's dominance on radio and mainstream music outlets, I like them both as individual songs (well, Jump including 1984)...I can definitely feel the age, but that's more due to synth inclusion than the structure of the songs.

I think if you put either of the two songs on any other VH album, they're an immediate sore thumb. That said, there's enough experimentation throughout 1984 when considering Top Jimmy's "different" feel, to allow room for those two as well.

They're both infectious, hook-based songs that are aurally (insert joke here) pleasing. From that perspective, they share a common bond with every CVH song we know and love. As a guitarist myself, I'm rarely in favor of excluding the six string for synth, but the composer in me says those songs wouldn't have worked without prominent keys.

TL;DR I like Van Halen.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

I'll Wait is a song that seems forced from Dave. You can tell just by the writing credits. Jump represents Dave's "belligerent optimism."
                        I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• perrin29
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2012

Love to see them mix it up with some different cuts from the last tour like DOA, Light Up The Sky, Simple Rhyme, So This Is Love, Little Guitars, Drop Dead Legs, Little Dreamer. Hearing Outta Love and Women In Love last tour was fantastic and they did them well.

Comment

• philouze
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                            Here's my set list

Dirty Movies
                            Light Up The Sky
                            Top Jimmy
                            The Full Bug
                            Sunday Afternoon In The Park/One Foot Out The Door
                            Just Like Paradise
                            You're No Good
                            Fools
                            When Push Comes To Shove
                            Stay Frosty
                            You Can't Get This Stuff No More
                            Secrets
                            On Fire
                            As Is
                            Little Guitars
                            Damn Good
                            Take Your Whiskey Home
                            Sinner's Swing
                            Yankee Rose
                            Big River
                            In A Simple Rhyme

Encore 1
                            Me Wise Magic

Encore 2
                            Drop Dead Legs
                            End of thread.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                              Dave's head would explode if he tried singing Light Up The Sky even remotely like it should be sung. Some things are better not heard and this is one of them. No, if VH is gonna do LUTS then they better have Ralph back stage on the mic while Dave does his little sissified dance routine in the middle of the stage. Cause that's all Rock Star Cool, you know.
                              Im sure Dave could find a way to ad-lib the screams... the majority of this song is not that high pitched..hell,Dave screams in almost every song..

Comment

• Jetstream
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Dec 2011

Dave's main style was the scream and he did it better in my opinion than anyone before him or after. The guy actually had control of it like a freaking instrument. Now what used to sound like a pissed off panther or wolf, sounds more like the moose getting torn to pieces by a panther or wolf. He can still do the high pitch 'whoop' noise but the other things sound like the old guys in the booth from the Muppet Show. Solution, if a old wolf can no longer howl, than growl a lot in the low register he still sings just fine in, if not better now... and he will be able to get all the cougars he wants lol
                                I got lost in the...

Comment

Working...