X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    Virtually no resonating body-wood and 9 volt battery activated pick ups. Must've been on vacation from "always chasing tone".
    Definitely a dark time for Ed's sound. Was it an endorsement deal that prompted him to strap on those things?

It's not even a single unit, I believe. The frankenstripes on the picture above are a faceplate, I think.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Good points, Sun. I'm more put off by the broad brush stroke of hope-dashing he did in the Washington Post interview.

New record? Didn't have the time.

Club days? Didn't sound good when we tried to make it sound better. (wtf?!?!)

WB demo? Apparently, lost along with the moon landing footage.

Live classic shows? Not a mention of it.

Live of the past 2 tours? Too lazy to give you the best, so here you go. It's what Dave said was ok, so don't bitch to me about the vocals sounding like poop.

King Edward can spin it as positive as he likes, but he's not getting a hall pass from many of us for being dismissive and lazy about representing what, in reality, is the legacy of the greatest American Rock and Roll band known to exist! There's much work to be done. They've just got to do it! They need to quit the bullshit excuse making already. Properly celebrating their pasture is the key to a successful future. Oh, and some new music wouldn't hurt, either.
      It does make you wonder... "Didn't have time..."

The last VH appearance was July 23, 2013. There's 19 months between that and the Smithsonian appearance... over 20 months until the Kimmel appearance. So what the fuck did these guys do for around 600 days (14,400 hours) that they didn't have time to show any productive work output..?
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        It does make you wonder... "Didn't have time..."

The last VH appearance was July 23, 2013. There's 19 months between that and the Smithsonian appearance... over 20 months until the Kimmel appearance. So what the fuck did these guys do for around 600 days (14,400 hours) that they didn't have time to show any productive work output..?
        Not tidy the shed, paint the fence all the things other lazy middle aged men say they aint got time for.
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
          Definitely a dark time for Ed's sound. Was it an endorsement deal that prompted him to strap on those things?
          If Elvis wasn't banned, he could give us all the technical details.

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
          It's not even a single unit, I believe. The frankenstripes on the picture above are a faceplate, I think.
          I don't think that is a faceplate.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Thanks for the info on that guitar.
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by vandeleur
              Not tidy the shed, paint the fence all the things other lazy middle aged men say they aint got time for.
              Tidy'd the shed last weekend and the fence is PVC. Now if only I had a band.

Those damn VHers do not know how good they've got it.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
                Looks like the whole thing is a faceplate and an empty box.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Looks like the whole thing is a faceplate and an empty box.

Beat me to it, Bridge. From the Steinberger website about EVH's build...

"In the early 1980's, an incredibly gifted virtuoso guitar player fell in love with a little-known electric guitar. The player was Eddie Van Halen and the guitar was a Steinberger. One of the employees at the Steinberger factory, Jeff Babicz, was responsible for handling the artists who played these advanced technology Steinberger guitars.

Eddie requested a "special" paint job, and Jeff decided to have the faceplate painted by a talented artist named Jim O'connor.

Originally posted by perilouspete
                  fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• VAiN
                    Use my hand, I won't look
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    If Elvis wasn't banned, he could give us all the technical details.

The trick to that guitar is you can lock the bridge in different keys. Things stay in tune as you move the bridge creating more of a slide effect. Pay attention the next time you're cranking 'summer nights' in the buggy and you'll notice the key changes.
                    Originally posted by wiseguy
                    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Good point VAiN. That Trans-Trem idea was pretty slick.

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

It looks like a guitar from friggin guitar hero
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• fraroc
                          Commando
                          • Jun 2012

I was always particular to THIS kind of steinberger.
                          How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

A guitar should be phallic, these look like you've sliced off your helmet!

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                              It looks like a guitar from friggin guitar hero
                              I was thinking the components looked more like one of them model kits from MPC or Revell from my teen years. The body looks exactly like a battleship or troop mover.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

He's certainly saying things these days that only piss me off more and more. How does he do it? Better yet, why?

Here's an idea Ed, since none of the 4 current members of the band wanted to take the time to do things right. Pay someone else to go through the shows, let them pick the best performances, and then fucking sign off on it!

I'm also a little surprised at how, apparently, Dave said to just release Tokyo and be done with it. He never struck me as lazy. Something just seems off about a band professionally recording two tours worth of shows and simply saying, eh, that one'll do.
                                The 'that one will do' attitude was how they ended up with Hagar. Management showed them a list, Ed closed his eyes, spun his finger down on the page and said 'that one' as his finger-tip landed on the words 'Fat Cunt'.
                                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...