X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    You say that like it would be a bad thing.
    Well, yeah...I'd hang it in a closet along with my "Banacek" stuff, yet I'd never wear it in public.

Them NBC Mystery Movies were the ultimate when I was a kid in the 1970's...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by CVH Rulz
      OMG...how will you all go on with your lives if they don't do what you want them to and when you want it?
      At this point, now that Ed has tacked on "it was just those 3 songs in Oakland" to his hope-dashing crusade of 2015, I figure I'll get on just fine. Just so EVH understands the mutual agreement with his fans. He doesn't have to give'em what they want, and they don't have to take what he gives. I could be a proud fan, riding off into the sunset with them as the ominous tail-end of As Is blares from the speakers. Or, I could just follow along with a waning enthusiasm and a lot more $ still in my bank account. 'Sall good man.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Mikey's been saying for years they didn't film all of the Oakland shows, no big surprise there. But there's still plenty of stuff there at Ed's (based on that interview with that guy that supposedly began cataloging it a few years back) and obviously Dave has some stuff and we know Mike does. So there's still some hope that some of it will get out there at some point. Can it be cleaned up to make it better than all our old Largo boots? Maybe, maybe not.

Ah, at this point I really don't care. I got my old boots and the records and newer boots. I didn't buy the remasters the last time around so I might pick up the new ones. A new studio record would be nice but whatever.
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I guess what I question on the Oakland 81 shows... I was at 2 of the 3 shows. The film crews didn't just set up and come out for 3 songs. They were there and actively working throughout both shows beginning to end. I remember it clearly because it was somewhat distracting and their presence was highly noticeable. This was long before the practice of diamond screens and live video feeds during rock concerts... You rarely saw any type of video cameras unless someone smuggled in a super-8 unit and professional units were too big to go unnoticed.
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            I guess what I question on the Oakland 81 shows... I was at 2 of the 3 shows. The film crews didn't just set up and come out for 3 songs. They were there and actively working throughout both shows beginning to end. I remember it clearly because it was somewhat distracting and their presence was highly noticeable. This was long before the practice of diamond screens and live video feeds during rock concerts... You rarely saw any type of video cameras unless someone smuggled in a super-8 unit and professional units were too big to go unnoticed.
            Aha! So we're back to the Great Ed Conspiracy! Oh well, I'll just go watch a show that I know was recorded. Cause I like have it right here and stuff.
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              Ah, at this point I really don't care. I got my old boots and the records and newer boots. I didn't buy the remasters the last time around so I might pick up the new ones. A new studio record would be nice but whatever.

And if not you can always pick up the next remasters
              I really love you baby, I love what you've got
              Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                At all the shows I was front row at, Dave told the audience they were filming, and guys came out with video cameras. Not little super 8 jobs, nice cameras. Of course, the crowd went ballistic. I have a very good friend that worked for the band during the early years, including all of the tours with Dave. He told me there was rarely, if ever, film in those cameras. He said it was all part of the act. Dave's idea to get the crowd even more riled up than they already were.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Dave said so himself in his book. That's why when he announced there were film cameras at the '08 show I attended, I figured he was pulling chain.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    At all the shows I was front row at, Dave told the audience they were filming, and guys came out with video cameras. Not little super 8 jobs, nice cameras. Of course, the crowd went ballistic. I have a very good friend that worked for the band during the early years, including all of the tours with Dave. He told me there was rarely, if ever, film in those cameras. He said it was all part of the act. Dave's idea to get the crowd even more riled up than they already were.
                    That flat out sucks..Why in the hell would you do that? I can see doing it maybe 75% of the time, but if you are gonna have these guys go through the motion then buy a little film!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      Al or Ed mentioned the camera stunt in some interview. They were saying Dave came up with all sorts of shit like faking parachuting into a stadium to bringing cameras out.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Fairwrning
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

So you are telling me he never fucked that guys girlfriend either??

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                          Mikey's been saying for years they didn't film all of the Oakland shows, no big surprise there. But there's still plenty of stuff there at Ed's (based on that interview with that guy that supposedly began cataloging it a few years back) and obviously Dave has some stuff and we know Mike does. So there's still some hope that some of it will get out there at some point. Can it be cleaned up to make it better than all our old Largo boots? Maybe, maybe not.

What Ed has cataloged is his own playing. I don't think he's sitting on old band footage. That would be the record label or whoever was contracted to film. I don't think Ed cared about such things. If anyone has it it would be Dave.

Here's Ed's storage at 5150. It seems to be just his own music made in the studio.
                          Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                            So you are telling me he never fucked that guys girlfriend either??
                            Every town had the wildest motherfuckers and was the rock and roll capital of the world as well. The joys of the pre internet days. On the Roth Show they admitted if they spent more than two days in any town it was like let's get the hell out of here and as Alex said each new stop was like being reborn, your fuckups stayed in the rear view mirror. Today you couldn't escape it.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Alex said each new stop was like being reborn, your fuckups stayed in the rear view mirror. Today you couldn't escape it.
                              Ain't that the truth.

I sometimes feel sorry for young people in the public eye. Imagine if everything you said or did at 20 was there for all the world to view.....
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Like I said, I'm glad I had my misspent youth in the era I did. Everything being networked is a control freak's wet dream. If anything it's showing us the dirty SOB's we really are and the picture ain't pretty.

Comment

Working...