X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    At all the shows I was front row at, Dave told the audience they were filming, and guys came out with video cameras. Not little super 8 jobs, nice cameras. Of course, the crowd went ballistic. I have a very good friend that worked for the band during the early years, including all of the tours with Dave. He told me there was rarely, if ever, film in those cameras. He said it was all part of the act. Dave's idea to get the crowd even more riled up than they already were.
    I get that and saw them do that act too previously I think at the Cow Palace in San Francisco... But Oakland 81 was filmed as we know with 3 songs released.

I know the venue really well since I worked sound there for other acts and also performed on that same stage several times. There was a ton of extra equipment for the mobile sound recording unit in there at the main sound board plus a bunch of other gear side-stage for the camera crews.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DONNIEP
      Aha! So we're back to the Great Ed Conspiracy! Oh well, I'll just go watch a show that I know was recorded. Cause I like have it right here and stuff.
      What Ed fails too mention is they probably have more than A few other pro shot shows/audio of other older shows. And for some reason all these years later the interviewers NEVER ask him or any of these guy's what they do have. It's bullshit. Oakland not filmed, o.k. but other shows have been. Release that shit !!! Oh wait Wolf isn't on them. Fucking can't have that !! Fuck off Ed. Just about done with this new version of the band. Lazy fucks !

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        I get that and saw them do that act too previously I think at the Cow Palace in San Francisco... But Oakland 81 was filmed as we know with 3 songs released.

I know the venue really well since I worked sound there for other acts and also performed on that same stage several times. There was a ton of extra equipment for the mobile sound recording unit in there at the main sound board plus a bunch of other gear side-stage for the camera crews.
        Well duh. Obviously they were recording. We have 3 videos as proof. Doesn't mean anymore than those 3 were recorded. Dumbass.

Seriously though, at that point in time, if VH was only going to record 3 songs, would they have chosen those 3? I gotta believe there were more than just those three songs recorded that night.

I don't know who has or owns the other complete shows we've seen, but I can promise one thing. If I EVER get the chance to say one thing to Edward Van Halen, it's going to be about those shows, and where the fuck they are.

Comment

• Jetstream
          Foot Soldier
          • Dec 2011

This is what I believe, Ed and Dave are getting along great, in other words they are old farts who could give a shit about 20 year old drama tantrums and they have a coexistence comfort and they will now move at what many would consider a snail pace but a pace they have earned. They are like freaking 60, and I think they will record at least two more LPs together and they will be good... and that Oakland show, if there are only three songs, then release those fucking three songs on a EP because why the fuck not for a fan
          I got lost in the...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

I guess what I question on the Oakland 81 shows... I was at 2 of the 3 shows. The film crews didn't just set up and come out for 3 songs. They were there and actively working throughout both shows beginning to end. I remember it clearly because it was somewhat distracting and their presence was highly noticeable. This was long before the practice of diamond screens and live video feeds during rock concerts... You rarely saw any type of video cameras unless someone smuggled in a super-8 unit and professional units were too big to go unnoticed.
            Where's the copy of that film inventory showing there were 16 reels of film from those nights?
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Where's the copy of that film inventory showing there were 16 reels of film from those nights?
              I think it was on vhtrading or one of the other old VH boards... I've searched and posted it a few times here. Too lazy to look again...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• private parts
                Sniper
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Von Halen

If I EVER get the chance to say one thing to Edward Van Halen, it's going to be about those shows, and where the fuck they are.
                And in Ed's next interview he will say that anyone asking him about the show footage will have a restraining order put on them!!
                sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I think it was on vhtrading or one of the other old VH boards... I've searched and posted it a few times here. Too lazy to look again...
                  Maybe most of that was backstage footage?
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                    Maybe most of that was backstage footage?
                    Well that might be more interesting than the show !

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Jetstream
                      This is what I believe, Ed and Dave are getting along great, in other words they are old farts who could give a shit about 20 year old drama tantrums and they have a coexistence comfort and they will now move at what many would consider a snail pace but a pace they have earned. They are like freaking 60, and I think they will record at least two more LPs together and they will be good... and that Oakland show, if there are only three songs, then release those fucking three songs on a EP because why the fuck not for a fan
                      I doubt that they're cosy. They probably spend as little time together as possible for the greater good.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

I Alwsys thought Dave would be hard to get along with cant imagine he isn't self absorbed. Now he would be a nightmare. "Let me tell you about wrestling beebaladoozybop" twitch twitch.
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

'I was talking with my new sheep-dog last night about which flat cap looks best...'
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Jetstream
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Dec 2011

I think a lot of people here are more serious about Van Halen than Van Halen is... meaning they are in their sixties and rather comfortable taking the 'fuck it' mode of operation to the next level. Dave and Ed no longer have any vested energy to hate one another, and live a serene (hence, the money) world of convenience (sort of like some old married couple who might bitch about each other all the time but stay together no matter what happens because it is familiar to them and the older you get, the less you like change) lol
                            Last edited by Jetstream; 04-24-2015, 06:55 PM.
                            I got lost in the...

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
                              Sniper
                              • Apr 2004

Everyone always says Dave is always ready to work. I bet Dave is always ready to work until you are, then he has other plans already.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2007

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Working...