X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    I'm not sure... but I feel like we've just observed the final chapter of the band working... seriously.

History has shown the VH Brothers don't care to let anyone venture out and remain in their band...
    If so, Dave ended it with class. Some Really nice things he said over the last couple of shows.

Hopefully, Wolf's multi-tasking career lends to the leniency of Mr. Roth being allowed the same liberty. I know. Fat chance, but still...

Comment

• Fairwrning
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      Dave is the one most responsible for perpetuating all that.

If Dave gave up the fucking 80's rock star persona, and wanna be Liberace act, maybe we wouldn't be spewing all that bullshit. Maybe if he released the John 5 stuff, and they toured behind it in small venues without all the fake pomp and circumstance, he'd be taken more seriously.

Just saying.
      Agreed..the highlight of the show, after DM, is dave telling a story before ICM..simple and spoken like hes sitting in your living room..small gigs with jeans, a t shirt and a few amps would be awesome and leave the fucking dance floor behind..OR...bring back MA, release some new stuff and tour one more time..

Comment

• chuckjitsu
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2012

Dave is the one most responsible for perpetuating all that.

If Dave gave up the fucking 80's rock star persona, and wanna be Liberace act, maybe we wouldn't be spewing all that bullshit. Maybe if he released the John 5 stuff, and they toured behind it in small venues without all the fake pomp and circumstance, he'd be taken more seriously.

Just saying.
        Other than being older, how is what Dave is doing now any different than say '81? And why is the cheesy stuff from '81 cool and the cheesy stuff now lame? In your mind, what should Dave be doing differently? Performing in jeans and a tshirt? No stage banter/stories? Dave's personality is what it is. In general, isn't the personality of the '81 guy the same as the 2015 guy, just older?

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
          Other than being older, how is what Dave is doing now any different than say '81? And why is the cheesy stuff from '81 cool and the cheesy stuff now lame? In your mind, what should Dave be doing differently? Performing in jeans and a tshirt? No stage banter/stories? Dave's personality is what it is. In general, isn't the personality of the '81 guy is the same as the 2015 guy, just older?
          Well, first of all, it's not 1981 anymore. 1981 was cool in 1981. Dave can pay respect to that era, without acting like he's still in that era.

Do you really believe the stories and stage banter are what we're talking about here?

Has Ed's performance been harshly criticized because he's not wearing 1981 clothes?

I think Ed said somewhere during this tour, something about being 60, and performing like you're 60. That comment got brushed under the rug, but to me, it was damning. That comment hit the nail on the head, and is why I believe they are done. Unless they can get an outrageous payday, which I don't think they can.

Anybody else read Greg's book? Dave always wanted to be a "Rock Star". That was his whole mission. Maybe it's time for him to just be a musician. At this point, I think it would be much better received, and appreciated.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            What's next for Van Halen? I can answer that in two words:

Welcome Back!!

You, Sir, are a rabble rouser and a shit stirrer.....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Maybe it's time for him to just be a musician. At this point, I think it would be much better received, and appreciated.
              It would have been this year too... And 2, 3 years ago.

In 2007/2008, Dave had been working on his voice, obviously, which he hasn't for the last two tours. That was not paying respect to the music, the Van Halens (who were READY and delivered every night) and the audiences. He should have given up on martial arts, ninja masks, tattoos and never-ending chats and instead exercise his vocals, listen to the actual music and learn his (own) lyrics again.
              I don't think he feels like doing that, ever.
              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                It would have been this year too... And 2, 3 years ago.

In 2007/2008, Dave had been working on his voice, obviously, which he hasn't for the last two tours. That was not paying respect to the music, the Van Halens (who were READY and delivered every night) and the audiences. He should have given up on martial arts, ninja masks, tattoos and never-ending chats and instead exercise his vocals, listen to the actual music and learn his (own) lyrics again.
                I don't think he feels like doing that, ever.

Possibly, but don't you also think it's possible that he did indeed TRY to work on his vocals, and he simply cannot sing like that anymore due to the natural aging process?

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Possibly, but don't you also think it's possible that he did indeed TRY to work on his vocals, and he simply cannot sing like that anymore due to the natural aging process?
                  I think he tried harder than he did during the timeframe of shows when they recorded that abortion of a live album.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

Maybe if he released the John 5 stuff, and they toured behind it in small venues without all the fake pomp and circumstance, he'd be taken more seriously.

Just saying.
                    by you...
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

I think he tried harder than he did during the timeframe of shows when they recorded that abortion of a live album.

Oh yeah, no doubt....

And, I think you'd also agree that his vocal performances got better as the tour went along as well.....

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2012

Well, first of all, it's not 1981 anymore. 1981 was cool in 1981. Dave can pay respect to that era, without acting like he's still in that era.

Do you really believe the stories and stage banter are what we're talking about here?

Has Ed's performance been harshly criticized because he's not wearing 1981 clothes?

I think Ed said somewhere during this tour, something about being 60, and performing like you're 60. That comment got brushed under the rug, but to me, it was damning. That comment hit the nail on the head, and is why I believe they are done. Unless they can get an outrageous payday, which I don't think they can.

Anybody else read Greg's book? Dave always wanted to be a "Rock Star". That was his whole mission. Maybe it's time for him to just be a musician. At this point, I think it would be much better received, and appreciated.
                        Dave would be the first to admit that in his mind he's and entertainer as much as anything else. That certainly hasn't changed, nor will it ever, as Ed himself should be aware of more than anyone else. Ed knows exactly what Roth is in terms of his general personality and as a performer, so if he's so embarrassed by Roth not "acting his age", why does he keep going out on tour with him?

And again, what exactly does "acting his age" or "just be a musician" mean? Performing in jeans and a tshirt, standing in one spot on stage and singing the songs exactly like they are on the albums? I honestly don't know. Dave's always been an odd bird and that ain't changing any time soon, so it boils down to what it always boils down to with Dave- you either accept him and his oddball stuff for what it is or you don't. That act has worn thin for you and I get that, but I'm still curious as to what you think Dave needs to be doing to more act his age.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Maybe you're right, who knows... But do you think he worked the wavy way he sang certain tunes? Or does his voice go up and down due to his age?

I'm not sure it would have been harder for him to keep to a lower - and closer to the original way he sang the songs - register. And it would have been safer, in addition.
                          Throughout this last tour, Dave gave me the impression that he hadn't worked and didn't even care about his musical part in the show. I wonder what is going to happen next, and feel very pessimistic about his future implication in VH, as much as I feel disappointed with how he has sung over the last 3 years.
                          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

If only he had kept singing like this...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

You, Sir, are a rabble rouser and a shit stirrer.....
                              It's a calling. Kinda like being a priest.
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

I don't know, sometimes I think we (and a lot of people in the press) tend to underestimate the physical strain it must have on your vocal cords to sing at the same pitch and intensity at age nearly 61 as it did at age 31....

There aren't very many singers who have been able to keep it going at that age without some degradation....

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule.... Dio sounded good until the day he died....

Tyler and Hagar still sound decent, but not the same....

Plant didn't sound the same not long after Zep broke up....

Halford isn't what he once was....

And let's not even talk about how horrible Stanley sounds now....

Even the great ones, like Sinatra, was a shell of himself once he hit 60.....

Just trying to defend Dave a bit, I say....
                                Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...