X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
    Why Can't This Be Love I can do without, and certainly without Dave's take on it. Mundane, and sort of lacking identity: sounds like it could have been churned out by any top 40 pop band.
    Of course and I get that and however I would say sit back and imagine the situation where Sammy Hagar is presented with the music to Jump and try to imagine what the vocal melody would have been.

Similarly imagine what Hagar would have done with the music to 'Hot For Teacher'.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Of course and I get that and however I would say sit back and imagine the situation where Sammy Hagar is presented with the music to Jump and try to imagine what the vocal melody would have been.

Similarly imagine what Hagar would have done with the music to 'Hot For Teacher'.
      Hey, love ya, babe, but is it okay if I DON'T try and imagine what Hagar would have done with the CVH music? Just having heard him try and cover the half dozen CVH tunes he did when he was in the band was more than enough to not want to hear him butcher any others.

But your point is completely taken. Hagar and Roth don't have the same tonality to their voices, they have different strengths as singers and completely different approaches to lyrics and phrasing. So even with my own preferences to the side, it's only natural that they both would approach the same piece of music two different ways.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
        Agreed, but with Dave involved I think the song structure would have been much different.

Even Summer Nights, although one of the better tunes, could have done with some re-arranging.

In my mind 5150 is the most complete VH tune that could literally have Dave insert his own lyrical treatment.
        Out of any of the tracks on the album, the tune 5150 is really the only one that made me wish at the time that Roth was still in the band for that album.

The rest of the album, leaving the backing/instrumental tracks as-is, none of 'em are really start-to-finish tunes I even WANT to hear Roth try and sing lyrics to.

5150 was a shit-hot smokin' track, and for me nowhere else on the album was it more apparent that Hagar's Hallmark Greeting Card Cliff Notes Rhyme Schemes weren't up to the standards that Eddie had set in the tune.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

Van halen released albums after 1984 ..... get fucked. They any good
          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
            Agreed, but with Dave involved I think the song structure would have been much different.

Even Summer Nights, although one of the better tunes, could have done with some re-arranging.

In my mind 5150 is the most complete VH tune that could literally have Dave insert his own lyrical treatment.
            The complexity of Dave's vocal compositions would have significantly changed the compositions of all of that material. The melodies, timing signatures, breaks and dynamic range would have been completely different...

Those elements alone pushed Ed and the band into far more non-traditional musical rock compositions which is what made CVH unique. Hagar brought traditional 4/4 generic rock compositions to the formula... which allowed Ed to get lazy and produce some fairly unremarkable material. You hear bits and pieces of the Ed/Al genius combo in places but overall it lacks the edge that Dave's vocal compositions and timing signatures demanded and still do to this day.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Jetstream
              Foot Soldier
              • Dec 2011

If Dave had anything to do with the melody or musical composition he is entitled to financial royalties. Lyrics we know would also garner financial compensation but as we all know it is doubtful those lyrics are any of his. If the recording was like a painting and a one of a kind, then Dave would get nothing and the Hagar recorded one stands on its own but since it is mass produced with LP sales... Pandora's Box gets opened and Hagar did get some money for the use of "Can't This Stuff No More" because he was active in the musical composition
              I got lost in the...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
                Out of any of the tracks on the album, the tune 5150 is really the only one that made me wish at the time that Roth was still in the band for that album.

The rest of the album, leaving the backing/instrumental tracks as-is, none of 'em are really start-to-finish tunes I even WANT to hear Roth try and sing lyrics to.

5150 was a shit-hot smokin' track, and for me nowhere else on the album was it more apparent that Hagar's Hallmark Greeting Card Cliff Notes Rhyme Schemes weren't up to the standards that Eddie had set in the tune.
                I just listened to a couple of minutes of it on YouTube for the first time in a long time. Immediately the shitty drum sound and horrific WTF album cover hit you in the face but struggling on musically it reminds me a bit of 'Blood and Fire' in that being given that music it would be difficult to come up with cohesive vocal melody that didn't sound bitty.

Roth of course knocked that one out of the park so yeah it would be interesting to hear what he would have done with 5150.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
                  If Dave had anything to do with the melody or musical composition he is entitled to financial royalties. Lyrics we know would also garner financial compensation but as we all know it is doubtful those lyrics are any of his. If the recording was like a painting and a one of a kind, then Dave would get nothing and the Hagar recorded one stands on its own but since it is mass produced with LP sales... Pandora's Box gets opened and Hagar did get some money for the use of "Can't This Stuff No More" because he was active in the musical composition
                  Dave didn't contribute to the melodies or composition of the 5150 material... to my ears it's a clear downgrade when you compare it to 1984's material. Like trading in a Dodge Challenger Hellcat for a fucking Ford Focus!! Sure, it's got wheels and moves but it was a whole different ride...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

For the most part I concur, but there is some Dave on "Summer Nights" as the song was effectively written already. It's a clear break in style from CVH whether Dave stays or not, Van Halen, and Ed, was moving to a more rhythmic riff style that was more in line with mid-eighties rock music. Hagar and Ed especially may have altered the arrangement a bit, but I would bet a good chunk of change that the song is very close to "Eat Thy Neighbor" with less interesting lyrics and Hagar's screechy bitch howls that sound like Janis Joplin being raped by gorillas...

♪♫♬Oh lawd, won't you please ♪♫♬ get me a dodge hellcat♪♫♬...

UhuhUHUhuhuhhyuh....
                    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-14-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      I just listened to a couple of minutes of it on YouTube for the first time in a long time. Immediately the shitty drum sound and horrific WTF album cover hit you in the face but struggling on musically it reminds me a bit of 'Blood and Fire' in that being given that music it would be difficult to come up with cohesive vocal melody that didn't sound bitty.

Roth of course knocked that one out of the park so yeah it would be interesting to hear what he would have done with 5150.
                      Or OU812 for that matter. I think When Its Love would have been a very different song with Dave, probably a guitar riff rather than keyboard driven song...

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2006

To these ears Dave didn't have an influence on 5150. He was off doing Crazy From the Heat EP/movie thing at the time.

I hear similarity but not a steal...
                        "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

Working...