Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Just the same, I still would be interested in seeing and hearing some of the unofficially released CVH live footage restored. Tend to doubt it would come out in a dvd form now, most likely streaming for pay.

Even though I have plenty of dvd boots, including the most likely culprits that immediately spring to mind for restoration (the US Festival, Largo 1982, Brazil and Argentina 1983), even the most clear of my boots would doubtless pale in quality to a release that was professionally restored.

Yet this stuff remains unreleased. Whatever was shot on film, well, far as restorations from the original film goes...film - even film that has been stored in temperature-controlled environments - still deteriorates over time. Stuff shot on videotape might fare a little better in terms of deterioration.

Point being, these fuckers better not wait forever if they want my money...I'm gettin' up there in years myself: not too many moons from now, I may well have trouble remembering my own name, much less Van Halens.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• wolfsbane
      Roadie
      • Jan 2005

Anyone who follows DLR/VH knows we are not getting any vault releases anytime soon. WVH confirmed this fact when he denied any remaining tracks from the ADKOT sessions. Technically, he is probably right. The remaining songs were probably only rehearsed but not fully recorded. We still don't have any songs from the DLR 5150 sessions.

"Okay folks, please move along. There is nothing to see here."
      Last edited by wolfsbane; 06-22-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by wolfsbane
        Anyone who follows DLR/VH knows we are not getting any vault releases anytime soon. WVH confirmed this fact when he denied any remaining tracks from the ADKOT sessions. Technically, he is probably right. The remaining songs were probably only rehearsed but not fully recorded. We still don't have any songs from the DLR 5150 sessions.

"Okay folks, please move along. There is nothing to see here."
        Sounds about right.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, that's definitely the track record in recent years. But given the current reality, I'd say it comes down to a question of who owns what, among the various archives. If Warner Brothers owns any of it, they're going to be the greedy corporate bastards that they are, and are going to want to "cash in" on Ed's death, just as they have done for years with other "departed" recording artists (Warners is not alone in this, of course. All the big labels have done it, but they're the only label of consequence here, as Van Halen only made one album for Interscope)

So if Warner Brothers was threatening to put out something as a blatant cash grab, I would think Alex & Dave would rather get creative control over that release and put out what THEY choose, not some bean counters in a Burbank boardroom.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Alex has primary control over the Van Halen recordings... I don't think Dave has any decision rights regarding the VH catalog.

Wolfgang inherited the rights to his dad's images and his decision making rights. All control remains within the VH family.

The Sunset Studio interviews indicated a box set of out-takes and alternate versions of songs, 4 albums worth, was prepared for release a few years ago... but got shelved. I can only imagine Al & Ed chose not to proceed with the release. It sounds like WB can't move on anything other than the current released catalog without Al's approval.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Alex has primary control over the Van Halen recordings... I don't think Dave has any decision rights regarding the VH catalog.

Wolfgang inherited the rights to his dad's images and his decision making rights. All control remains within the VH family.

The Sunset Studio interviews indicated a box set of out-takes and alternate versions of songs, 4 albums worth, was prepared for release a few years ago... but got shelved. I can only imagine Al & Ed chose not to proceed with the release. It sounds like WB can't move on anything other than the current released catalog without Al's approval.
              I don't think Alex has complete full control on VH recordings that were with Dave.
              In terms of publishing rights, Dave still partly owns the existing CVH catalog (under Diamond Dave Music).

Now as far as anything unreleased, not sure.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
                I mean, it wasn't exactly a stretch musically to replicate Michael Anthony's bass parts on a technical level. It's not like Wolfgang had to replace Billy Sheehan or Les Claypool.
                Claypool and Sheehan are 1980s circus acts compared to a real bass player like Michael Anthony, and personally I think Wolfgang did a shitty job live on all of the tours. ADKOT has decent bass but he replicates Anthony, albeit with a buzzy sound...

He's OK though, nothing to write home about...

Wolf kinda reminds me of Johnny Van Zandt...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                  I don't think Alex has complete full control on VH recordings that were with Dave.
                  In terms of publishing rights, Dave still partly owns the existing CVH catalog (under Diamond Dave Music).

Now as far as anything unreleased, not sure.
                  Dave wrote the lyrics. It’s usually the person who writes the lyrics who gets the biggest royalties. Those usually are the highest paid members in a band.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

Wolf kinda reminds me of Johnny Van Zandt...
                    No, if Wolf wanted to be Johnny Van Zandt, he would go out with a Frankenstrat and pretend to be Eddie. And he would name his half-assed band "Van Halen", despite not having any original band members in it.

BTW, is Fake Skynyrd even still a thing??
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Going to see Mammoth WVH at the House of Blues next month
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...