X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

That Bach/Rose/Roth story was cool.

With the American rock bands who got signed in the 80s in the wake of Van Halen's success, more than a few of them copped elements of what Van Halen did. Bands like Ratt, Poison and Bon Jovi borrowed from Van Halen's playbook, some more liberally than others. With Guns, when they broke, I never really detected much of a Van Halen thing going on at all in terms of influences. If anything, by the time 1987 rolled around, Guns to me were a welcome antidote to several other bands who had surfaced during 1983-1986 featuring guitar players putting two hands on the fretboard or lead singers emulating what Roth had done. Axl Rose came off to me as original in how he presented himself, from the way he dressed and moved to his lyrics and how he approached singing. Skid Row broke a bit late in the hair metal era and rode that sort of last crest of the last wave of that time and genre. I heard a bit more of Bon Jovi than Van Halen with Skid Row in terms of the choruses and stuff. Bach always struck me as what he was, which was an at times likeable idiot with a tremendous voice.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

GnR had more in common with 70s glam like New York Dolls & Alice Cooper than they did the 80s hairbands. They also had a fair amount of punk influence, mostly from Duff McKagan who used to be in a band called "The Fartz" and a spinoff of that band called "10 Minute Warning"

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

It always goes back to basic rock and roll. Guns was that but were too screwball to make it longer than one album. Grunge was just basic rock and roll with a punk vibe. Nothing really new. Actually old but after all the bad Van Halen copy bands it was time to put that bullshit to death with some other bullshit.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I think bands will be more local. The big promoted acts will be divas created by the big entertainment companies. The real interesting stuff will be local or regional. The successful ones will be very good at marketing. The big diva will be a well pampered slave. Recorded music is only something to be sold in a physical format. There’s a market for LP’s. It’s live performing that counts. If you can give people a great time for an evening they will want more and the word spreads. If you draw a crowd people selling junk food and beer will want you.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Silexxx
            Head Fluffer
            • Sep 2010

Comment

• Silexxx
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2010

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

oh shit!
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Finally Dave kicks his ass..

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If you listen to one Roth Show thing on YouTube this is the one... wow.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

UCR with a transcript, but it's MUCH more enjoyable to hear Dave tell it:

In a video posted to YouTube titled “The Ballad of Popsicle Sam,” Van Halen’s original frontman concluded that the Red Rocker must have been “sex probed” by aliens.

“According to Sam, he was abducted by aliens,” Roth explained, referring to Hagar’s belief that he had an alien encounter as a teenager.

“I know that when you're abducted by aliens you get sex probed,” Roth insisted. “I am compelled to solicit this sordid subject in an effort to explain Sam Hagar’s conduct. For the last 10 summers I haven't said a single syllable about him. Not one. I defy you. And in the face of a constant fart gas aimed in our direction here at the Mojo Dojo Diamond Dave Laboratories. And I think we've arrived at both the technical and the medical answer that may explain some of Sammy Hagar's conduct and his constant spew of diarrhea vitriol in our direction. Sammy Hagar was abducted by aliens and he was sex probed.”

Roth went on to ponder how an alien might examine a human, ultimately admitting he had “no idea” of the means or apparatus that would be used.

“But what I do know with absolute accuracy is that if you take a half of a popsicle and you jam it into a cassette tape player, no matter how carefully you extract it, that tape player will never play the same again," Roth concluded. "No matter how carefully you try and fix those delicate little parts. And it'll get worse and it'll seem like the singer that you used to [be] will stop making sense whatsoever. A lot like Sam.”

David Lee Roth claimed Sammy Hagar was 'sex probed' by aliens in a video uploaded to YouTube in January 2024.
                      Last edited by twonabomber; 01-19-2024, 02:16 AM.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Silexxx
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Sep 2010

Guys from DLR Cast were not fans of this episode of Roth Show.

Comment

• Never was
                          Foot Soldier
                          • May 2012

He was gentleman on Dave banging Val before Ed leaving it at his girlfriend became his wife line.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Isn't that what Love Walks In is about?

Sam's sex probe encounter with an alien? LOL
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

And then you sense a change
                              Nothing feels the same
                              All your dreams are strange
                              Love comes walkin' in
                              Some kind of alien
                              Waits for the opening
                              Then simply pulls a string
                              Love comes walkin' in

Hahaha and yes it is. Van Hagar has a song about alien butt sex
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Silexxx

Guys from DLR Cast were not fans of this episode of Roth Show.
                                I was kind of surprised at just how negative they were mainly about the comments about Ed not those about Hagar. My guess is that it's partly because it does seem like a burning of remaining bridges by Dave with the VH camp. He's gone from saying that he and Alex talk on the phone weekly to almost accusing him of bullying his younger brother to the severe detriment of his health.

I think if you view it from Dave's point of view it must be difficult to hear Ed being raised to absolute sainthood status often by people who he had a lot of problems with and who didn't always treat him well when he was alive.

On the Hagar anal probe joke I'm pretty sure me and quite a few others have being doing variations on that in this forum for over 20 years now but good to hear Dave's take on it.

Comment

Working...