X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Y'all minimize Michael Anthony's contributions to Van Halen's musical greatness, both from a compositional and performance perspective. But you are overlooking a key point... Van Halen was a power trio with a singer added. Without the bass and to a similar degree in backing vocals Van Halen wouldn't work... at all.

Look at some of the most notable power trio's in the history of rock... Hendrix with Noel Redding and later, even better, Billy Cox. SRV with Tommy Shannon. Cream era Clapton with Ginger Baker. Robin Trower with James Dewar. Toni Iommi with Geezer Butler. Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee.

None of those guitar greats and their famous bands would have achieved their success without the great bass players holding down the rhythm section. Three legged stools fall down without all 3 legs... Van Halen without Mike is NO different...
    You forgot Triumph!

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      You forgot Triumph!
      Whoops... forgot a few. Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill... Page and Jones... Grand Funk Railroad... James gang... George Thorogood... on and on...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• So this is love
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Damn! I forgot about Geddy Lee the rare exception... How about the 5th member of Van Halen, he has nothing to do in the mix, you'd think?
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          I agree. 84 was not as good but then I saw a OU812 show with Sam and saw a whole lower level of suck. I walked out feeling I needed a long shower to get the gay mojo off of me.
          I saw them on the Monsters of (C)ock at a stadium show at then Rich Stadium. They sucked and I got the feeling Hagar and Ed already hated each other with Hagar referencing Edward being drunk and how he was carrying shows. Sammy couldn't carry Ed's, or Dave's for that matter, jockstraps...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Y'all minimize Michael Anthony's contributions to Van Halen's musical greatness, both from a compositional and performance perspective. But you are overlooking a key point... Van Halen was a power trio with a singer added. Without the bass and to a similar degree in backing vocals Van Halen wouldn't work... at all.

Look at some of the most notable power trio's in the history of rock... Hendrix with Noel Redding and later, even better, Billy Cox. SRV with Tommy Shannon. Cream era Clapton with Ginger Baker. Robin Trower with James Dewar. Toni Iommi with Geezer Butler. Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee.

None of those guitar greats and their famous bands would have achieved their success without the great bass players holding down the rhythm section. Three legged stools fall down without all 3 legs... Van Halen without Mike is NO different...
            I said Mike and Alex were a great rhythm section. I am both a bass player and guitar player and I’ve played in three piece bands so I know what you are getting at. Mike also had great stage presence and was great with the fans. Wolfgang filled in ok but his charisma and stage presence sucked. People say Mike Stone worked well with VH.

I like what Mike brought to the table but you could replace him. Good luck replacing Eddie.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              I saw them on the Monsters of (C)ock at a stadium show at then Rich Stadium. They sucked and I got the feeling Hagar and Ed already hated each other with Hagar referencing Edward being drunk and how he was carrying shows. Sammy couldn't carry Ed's, or Dave's for that matter, jockstraps...
              The 5150 walk gave me the shits.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Whoops... forgot a few. Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill... Page and Jones... Grand Funk Railroad... James gang... George Thorogood... on and on...
                Jack Casady. Spent a week at a bass clinic taught by him at Jorma’s farm. I had to play Candyman with Jorma at the end of it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Whenever I learned a new VH song I would focus on the core chords and notes. Eddie throws a lot of extra shit in but I ignored that until I had the basic song down. When I got ready to add the extra stuff would always think. Yeah this guy was doing Coke alright. Ha! Ha! When Mike said Eddie filled the space pretty well he didn’t have to I just laughed.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

The bass player earning his keep is the one laying down the lines during this holy roller madness.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      The 5150 walk gave me the shits.
                      I'm still baffled after all these years how Van Hagar was even remotely successful. It was such a downgrade from CVH.

Guess they appealed to an entirely different audience.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        I'm still baffled after all these years how Van Hagar was even remotely successful. It was such a downgrade from CVH.

Guess they appealed to an entirely different audience.
                        They appealed to the transgenders. Like Kristy.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I would throw the original Chicago lineup in there as well. Yeah they had a horn section, but the core of that band was the "power trio" of Terry Kath on guitar, Peter Cetera on bass & Danny Serpahine on drums.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                            I would throw the original Chicago lineup in there as well. Yeah they had a horn section, but the core of that band was the "power trio" of Terry Kath on guitar, Peter Cetera on bass & Danny Serpahine on drums.

Good lord. And people bash Van Hagar? Chicago SUCKED!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I used to just not bother even listening to any band named after a US city - pretty sound rule unless you like MOR...

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Chicago did some great stuff as long as Terry Kath was alive. Without him they were completely worthless, of course. Hendrix thought Terry Kath was better than him. That's some humility on Jimi's part, and I'm not sure I'd completely agree. But it's one Hell of an endorsement.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...