X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    They appealed to the transgenders. Like Kristy.
    If you had any gay tendencies Van Hagar would certainly stimulate and amplify them until you no longer could restrain them. Maybe Sammy was the stimulus for all this flaming pride shit.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      If you had any gay tendencies Van Hagar would certainly stimulate and amplify them until you no longer could restrain them. Maybe Sammy was the stimulus for all this flaming pride shit.
      Yeah. Nickdflamingfruitcake was actually straight (I know, hard to believe) before he attended that Monsters Of Rock show in Buffalo.

Comment

• silverfish
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by FORD
        Chicago did some great stuff as long as Terry Kath was alive. Without him they were completely worthless, of course. Hendrix thought Terry Kath was better than him. That's some humility on Jimi's part, and I'm not sure I'd completely agree. But it's one Hell of an endorsement.
        I sorta recall I read/heard the Jimi said Billy Gibbons was the best player he knew.
        Perhaps he thought anyone was better depending on, y'know, circumstances/substances involved.
        Originally posted by sadaist
        I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

There have always been these quotes about what one guitar player said about another one... like how Eric Clapton supposedly said "The two greatest guitarists on the planet both come from Ohio. Joe Walsh & Phil Keaggy" though nobody has been able to point to any specific interview where Clapton actually said it.

I can't give you a specific date for the Hendrix quote about Terry Kath either, but what seems to give it credibility is the fact that Jimi decided he wanted a band with a horn section (the "Gypsy Sun & Rainbows" thing) after he had played on the same bill with the Chicago Transit Authority (as the band was called in those days). So that would seem to imply that Jimi thought Kath was on to something, and wanted to try it himself.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
            Yeah. Nickdflamingfruitcake was actually straight (I know, hard to believe) before he attended that Monsters Of Rock show in Buffalo.
            I had to have electro shock treatment and go through reprogramming after seeing one live show of Van Hagar. What that band did to themselves and others was horrible.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
              I sorta recall I read/heard the Jimi said Billy Gibbons was the best player he knew.
              Perhaps he thought anyone was better depending on, y'know, circumstances/substances involved.
              Alice Cooper did say Billy Gibbons was Jimi’s favorite player.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I think you can count the really exceptional guitar players on one hand. I think most experienced players would agree one of them was Jeff Beck.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

When I was ski racing the time between the fastest and slowest skier on the team was about one second. I was really good but there were a lot of really good skiers. The only way to get any recognition in that sport was to take a gold medal in the Olympics and have a personality that drew media attention. Not easy to do. Lot’s of great guitar players but only a few got to where they got enough attention to be remembered.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    I wouldn't doubt it.

5150 walk; doing jumping jacks on stage; that stupid hand sign. Gay AF.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Van Hagar weren't gay... they were just "French"... or something.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        I'm still baffled after all these years how Van Hagar was even remotely successful. It was such a downgrade from CVH.

Guess they appealed to an entirely different audience.
                        At the time of the first Van Hagar album, I noticed the band appealed exactly to the same type of people who had no use for the band prior to the Jump single being released. With Jump - then 2 years later with Van Hagar - Van Halen broadened their appeal to where their stuff was no longer restricted to the party rock/burnout stoner crowd. Now, everybody could enjoy Van Halen, because they were safe and fun to listen to!

Yay!
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

They went from The House of Pain to have a Pepsi Right Now! Nothing like hearing Dreams in a elevator.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            At the time of the first Van Hagar album, I noticed the band appealed exactly to the same type of people who had no use for the band prior to the Jump single being released. With Jump - then 2 years later with Van Hagar - Van Halen broadened their appeal to where their stuff was no longer restricted to the party rock/burnout stoner crowd. Now, everybody could enjoy Van Halen, because they were safe and fun to listen to!

Yay!
                            This is true yes.

My sister for instance loved Jump and I'll Wait.

But not much else in the VH catalog at the time. Then also liked Dreams when Van Hagar came out. And then became a big Bon Jovi fan.

You can see the pattern lol.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Heater
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Nov 2010

If Roth had stayed what would their next few albums have been like? Ed wrote the music, and that was the music he was writing then. And were any of Dave’s albums, or any of his SONGS, for that matter, on par with the initial 6 VH albums?

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                                If Roth had stayed what would their next few albums have been like? Ed wrote the music, and that was the music he was writing then. And were any of Dave’s albums, or any of his SONGS, for that matter, on par with the initial 6 VH albums?
                                Dave wasn't thrilled with either Jump or I'll Wait. Ed didn't think much of the covers Roth did on his CFTH EP.

All the principals agree that the rehearsals in the spring of 1985 for the follow-up to the 1984 album didn't go well. The personality clashes over the years could be worked through when everyone was basically on the same page musically. Once Roth and Ed started finding less common ground on a musical level, doubtless all the other non-musical issues got exacerbated.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...