Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I can remember going into music stores and pawn shops and seeing these old raggy tweed amps and thinking who wants this old shit? One kid played through some old Gretsch amp. It looked like it was from the 50’s. I remember it had red plating tubes but nobody knew what that was or how to fix it. He would blow tubes and just plug new ones in.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Eddie’s main guitar for years was a Les Paul Jr. Still one of my favorite guitars and more versatile than you would think. I’m sure a lot of VH chops were honed on a Les Paul Jr. He went to a Strat because he wanted a whammy bar. He hated the thin sound so he slapped a Gibson pickup in one.

Dave Friedman played the original Franken Strat up at 5150. He said it was awful. Not anything like a nicely set up EVH factory guitar. Ed said he had no idea why he played that piece of junk for so long but he was used to it.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I’ve heard a lot of amatures get good Eddie tone using all sorts of things. One guy got a great classic EVH tone using a Strat with a Seymour Duncan 59 pickup into a Fulltone OCD pedal a analog delay with some slap back into a Epiphone ValVe Jr amp cranked and running into a Weber attenuator and a 2x12 MojoTone cab loaded with green backs.

It sounded great but he could unplug that guitar and get most the sound playing dry. My advice is play unplugged and try and sound like Eddie and then use what equipment you have to project that sound. Be creative.
        Had sold off most of my equipment in the early-to-mid 1990's, when it became clear that I wasn't "going to make it, man!" as a professional musician. Hadn't had a ton of equipment to begin with, but I let my two Fender Twin Reverb amps go, along with virtually of my pedals, two of my electrics...the band we had (inasmuch as it was 'a band') stopped playing, the PA system we had and the mixing board we had reverted back to the keyboard player, who owned the gear from the start. The PA was a pair of tall Ampeg speaker columns, the mixing board was this relic from the 1970s that looked like an antiquated piece of shit but it worked...I think the Ampeg speakers were also manufactured in the 1970's, if memory serves. None of it was then state-of-the-art gear, THAT much I remember. All I kept was my 1990 Charvel San Dimas and a cheap acoustic.

Anyway, for about ten years I didn't play much. Was going to school, working, wasn't in a band anymore, wasn't home a lot, didn't have a lot of leisure time to play and just plain didn't feel like it much anymore, anyway. The Charvel and the acoustic sat in their cases, largely gathering dust.

Maybe 2002 or so, I started feeling like playing again. Just for the sheer enjoyment of it, which it had always brought me. Got the Charvel worked on - replaced the input jacks which had deteriorated along with the volume knob circuitry which had also rotted away - and went out to several local music stores pricing amps. Ended up with a 15watt Peavey Rage Blazer 158 Transtube Series, simply because I liked the way it sounded. Over the next few years, scooped up a Pro-Co Rat, an MXR M-104 Distortion +, a BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay, an MXR M-101 Phase 90 and a BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter. The amp was...I dunno, a couple/few hundred bucks? The pedals around $100 a pop. Around 2010 I ended up getting an Ibanez Gio N427 series strat-style with double humbuckers and an Edge 3 locking tremolo based/patterned on the Floyd Rose design (functions virtually the same as a Rose, may well by licensed by Rose though I'm no longer 100% sure of that). The guitar was made in Indonesia, cost $500. Ended up with it simply because I played one in a music store and liked it.

The 'long-way-'round-the-barn' point being I can take the home gear I listed above and plug in either my Ibanez or my San Dimas (the San Dimas having only a single double-coil and a single volume knob) and get "the brown sound" in terms of the tone with a minimal amount of fiddling...realistically with nothing other than either guitar, the RAT pedal and the 15-watt Peavey amp, all for under $1,000. And none of the equipment is 'official EVH-licensed' gear or what have you.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Honestly, I'm thinking of selling off all the electric gear and getting a Spanish-type nylon stringed acoustic, and even then it'll be something merely decent enough. Something in the $300-$500 range; I don't need one that costs thousands.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The San Dimas is a decent guitar. I have a flamed maple one with the Six Pack wiring scheme. The Manuel Rodriquez classical guitars are decent. They have a starter end to a high end.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I only have one acoustic. A Gibson J45 I picked up at the Gibson factory in Bozeman, Montana years ago.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I mostly play dirty blues songs on it around the campfire.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I play this kind of stuff.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

The San Dimas is a decent guitar. I have a flamed maple one with the Six Pack wiring scheme. The Manuel Rodriquez classical guitars are decent. They have a starter end to a high end.
                    The San Dimas has held up very well for me. Only things replaced on it were the electronics of the input jack and volume knob. Not bad for a 30 + year old guitar.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

To paraphrase you, dirty campfire blues.

I likes it.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                        Honestly, I'm thinking of selling off all the electric gear and getting a Spanish-type nylon stringed acoustic, and even then it'll be something merely decent enough. Something in the $300-$500 range; I don't need one that costs thousands.
                        I picked up one of these ESP TL-6N Thin Line nylon string for $350 used on ebay last year. Fishman electronics sound great and it plays like an electric.

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Our daughter is a classical guitar player. She kept upgrading guitars and now plays a $10,000 one she loves. We have all her old ones she never plays. Occasionally I will play one. I took four years of classical guitar lessons and amazingly I still can PIMA pick pretty well.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Alvarez makes decent acoustics. Their lower end stuff is pretty good.

Comment

Working...