• May 2012

What a cunt.

Val is a piece of shit too

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
        I don't hear where Eddie's musical ability was "inherited" or "passed down via his genes" to his son, or any other such platitudes said Boomer vomit critics blather on about. I mean, I'm not hearing anything exceptional in what Wolfgang is doing musically. The clips I've seen of Wolfgang playing live, when he is two-handed tapping...even when he was playing Van Halen tunes for the Taylor Hawkins tribute gigs, listening to that stuff didn't make me feel like Wolfgang was "channeling" Eddie Van Halen any more so than a thousand youtubers who put up clips of themselves playing Van Halen tunes...much less feeling that Wolfgang was nailing Eddie's style any better than said youtubers on a technical level.

Him constantly taking to social media...comes off as if he feels he needs to protect his father's legacy. His father's legacy was already cemented before Wolfgang was even born. What Wolfgang seemingly hasn't figured out is nobody needs him to tell them how they need to or should feel about what his father did. A lot less fighting with Van Halen fans online, a lot less talking about Van Halen and letting his own music speak for itself would have been the classy way to go. However, Wolfgang was born on third base and got a pass in terms of his musical career. For a kid who didn't have to do any heavy lifting of his own to make it, he sure has a long laundry list of things to bitch about. I'd tend to guess the perception that Wolfgang didn't earn his place in the music industry but got where he was due to his last name is something that bothers him despite how avidly he pretends otherwise.
        Nurture nature stuff.

Wolf's upbringing could hardly be any more different than Ed's. Ed was an immigrant maybe bullied at school and by his older brother that sat in his room playing guitar for literally tens of thousands of hours. He then had no options in life apart from to somehow make it in a band so devoted himself to a fairly shitty 5 years of all that. A bunch of us I'm sure had an attempt in bands but one of the main reasons 99.9% of even the good ones don't get there is that some or all of you decide that spending 3 hours in the back of a van getting squashed by a speaker on a Tuesday night to play to 4 people and not get paid by the promoter and then be late for the day job in the morning gets tiresome pretty quickly.

I think all of that is way more important than 'genes'. Also Wolf is obviously already diluted 50% gene wise anyway if that even was a thing.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
          So..Weight Watchers doesn't work?
          The eternal cycle of daytime TV - I've lost weight wooo. I am a woman who is proud to be a fat fuck. wooo. I've lost weight again. wooo. Rinse lather repeat billionaire Oprah perfected it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            So I'm seeing youtubes in my feed from 'music reporters' with the headline "David Lee Roth attacks Wolfgang"

WTF??

Attacks? Gimme a break.
            How is telling what happened attacking someone? Sammy fans are Wolf fans. That’s the reality shaking out. Lame ass all the way.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              So I'm seeing youtubes in my feed from 'music reporters' with the headline "David Lee Roth attacks Wolfgang"

WTF??

Attacks? Gimme a break.
              Also other places are headlining it 'Bizzare Attack'

How is it bizarre?

Click bait in a world where saying anything even remotely interesting is deemed fucking weird.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

They are also calling Dave a liar. Dave has been around a long time. He might embellish things in a story or use some symbolism. Washing the stage before a show would be an example. We all know Dave wasn’t washing the stage but it was symbolism to say you needed to put the work in and know your shit to be great. You have to have a fairly high IQ to get Dave.

As far as lying outside of the story embellishment phase I can’t think of one time he did so. He doesn’t inflate record sales statistics like Sammy does. Dave kept his cool until Sammy slagged him enough to get a statement from Dave.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

All these You Tubers are trying to sensationalize what happened to get views. I never watch commentaries on something I can watch myself.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

DoucheTubers...

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Nurture nature stuff.

Wolf's upbringing could hardly be any more different than Ed's. Ed was an immigrant maybe bullied at school and by his older brother that sat in his room playing guitar for literally tens of thousands of hours. He then had no options in life apart from to somehow make it in a band so devoted himself to a fairly shitty 5 years of all that. A bunch of us I'm sure had an attempt in bands but one of the main reasons 99.9% of even the good ones don't get there is that some or all of you decide that spending 3 hours in the back of a van getting squashed by a speaker on a Tuesday night to play to 4 people and not get paid by the promoter and then be late for the day job in the morning gets tiresome pretty quickly.

I think all of that is way more important than 'genes'. Also Wolf is obviously already diluted 50% gene wise anyway if that even was a thing.
                      I'd definitely say I had a learning experience at around 19 years old in terms of what it would take to get really serious re: opting for a career as a professional musician. At that point, you have to progress beyond the teen in a garage band/high school talent show level. You have to start looking at who you're in a band with, leave the best buds/emotional component/childhood friends thing to one side and define who the weak links in the band are and be prepared to make lineup changes. You also have to be willing to put 100% of your time and effort into the group. Can't do that if you have things like college or a serious girlfriend, because unless you are willing to give that 100% you're just dabbling at being a professional musician. Along with all the other stuff you said - schlubbing your equipment to some bar gig, losing money in terms of the cost of equipment vs. whatever the owner of the establishment might decide to fork over to you at the end of the night.

I went through all that stuff at age 19, 20...even the more successful local bands around at that time (none of whom ever went on to make it or even got close to it) quickly learned how to run their groups like a business. The last band I was in, I had been playing with the singer since we were teens. Me on guitar. A seemingly countless number of bassists, keyboardists and drummers in and out of the group. The majority of the time we had 'the band, man' the singer and I were both in high school. We kicked around for a couple of years after high school, working regular jobs and trying to get a real group together rather than just another jam band thing. The singer was a creative, smart, talented guy but not a particularly ruthless one personality-wise. I told the singer after our group had done a few local bar gigs - and the lineup had yet again devolved back down to just me and the singer - that I had to start thinking about college and the future because I didn't want to work minimum wage jobs and play the odd bar gig here and there forever.

The singer says he has just met this dude who plays bass who lives with a guy who plays drums. So, me and the singer go over to their apartment. The bass player has a bass and an amp and can play. His 'drummer' roommate is this guy who doesn't own drums (but is going to get a set 'real soon') and spends his days doped up inside his bedroom. Spent about a month dragging my guitar and amp over to this apartment jamming with the bass player, asking when the 'drummer' is going to leave his bedroom and get some drums, the answer always being 'real soon'. Once that month was up and the drummer had made zero progress on anything other than occasionally leaving his room to take a piss, I told the singer I was done. Went on to college, played with some dudes in college in my dorm house who had their own instruments for shits and giggles and that was the last time I was in any type of band.

Wolfgang never had to go through any of that. Ed did. Dave did. Al did. Mike did. Those guys ended up together in part because after high school those guys were the ones who were willing to go all the way or bust chasing the dream.
                      Last edited by Terry; 01-27-2024, 04:14 PM.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

You have to have good songs, a good show and be with people who are serious about making it work. Today you need to know how to run a business because nobody is going to give you a record deal and run things for you. Basically you will be running your own entertainment business. You start small and grow it yourself. You might not get rich doing it but it’s possible to make a living still.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

You have to be willing to starve for your art. You can always find better paying jobs doing something else in the beginning.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

That was the thing about it post-high school, in that going through a sequence of bass players, drummers and keyboardists I could never find anybody was in it for the long haul or really serious about being a musician. Ran into a lot of people for whom playing music was a hobby. Couldn't even get everybody to show up to practice at a time agreed upon in advance. Dunno if it was just bad luck or just not looking hard enough for the right people or what it was. Wouldn't have made it big anyway, but for me it was as much for the sheer enjoyment of playing as it was any pipe dreams...it always had been. Frankly, I wasn't willing to starve for it, either. After that last go-round with the stoner drummer who wouldn't leave his room (and didn't even own any drums) I said fuck it to any thoughts of putting together a traditional hard rock combo.

Music scene in the early 90's - when I said fuck it - was changing, anyway. Within a couple of years of saying fuck it, half the clubs that I saw live bands at in the 80's had been remodeled and turned into techno dance clubs. The clubs that hadn't been remodeled and still had live bands eventually had countless numbers of local groups playing grunge-type music.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Everyone I know who seriously did the band thing dropped out and became a sound engineer. They have done well in that field. Most the people in the music industry were in bands at one point. Most the people who make the equipment were. There just have to be the right mix of things to make it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I had friends who became guns for hire. They would work for the carting companies in LA and jam in bands. They eventually got hired for tours. The problem is the demand for cartage and equipment rentals is way down because there isn’t the studio demand there was. Demand for bands isn’t what it was. My dad made great money having a dance band in the late 40’s and early 50’s.

Comment

Working...