X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick500
    Groupie
    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    David Lee Roth will be remembered decades from now. Wolfie Van Halen and Sammy Hagar will not. Dave already has the legacy and if it ain’t Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth it’s not worth selling to the public as a Van Halen product. Dave is protecting the Van Halen legacy. It’s more than just Eddie Van Halen. It’s the integrity of the whole classic unit.
    If Dave actually cared about the "legacy" he would never have quit in the first place.
    It was one of the dumbest moves in rock history.
    If he cared about legacy, he wouldn't have acted like a drunken fool or coke head and sung like a beached whale for half the 2015 concerts, the Vegas fiasco and the Kiss tour, not to mention those recent corporate gigs.
    A lot of people like ADKOT, even Tokyo Dome has about 15,000,000 track streams believe it or not.
    If they want to piss some money away from streams because of a power struggle for the Vh catalog, that's on them.

Which Dave will be remembered?
    The drunken sailor of the last 10 years or the idiot Dave that quit the group at its peak?
    He acts like he's relevant, but he isn't.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I see the Sammy Hagar fan base is here.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by nick500
        If Dave actually cared about the "legacy" he would never have quit in the first place.
        If he cared about legacy, he wouldn't have acted like a drunken fool or coke head and sung like a beached whale for half the 2015 concerts, the Vegas fiasco and the Kiss tour, not to mention those recent corporate gigs.
        A lot of people like ADKOT, even Tokyo Dome has about 15,000,000 track streams believe it or not.
        If they want to piss some money away from streams because of a power struggle for the Vh catalog, that's on them.

The drunken sailor of the last 10 years or the idiot Dave that quit the group at its peak?
        I think we all know the 1985 breakup was a lot more than just Dave "quitting".

And I emphasize breakup - considering that is firmly what it was. Whether or not Dave really 'quit'.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
          Dave Grohl created the rock star media whore and the enterprise of rock star media whoring.
          I sincerely love your posts. They're so full of passionate anger...just SO ANGRY...it puts a smile on my face. Sometimes I don't even know what you're angry about and it's still entertaining. (This is one of many posts, however, with which I agree with much of your anger...though not everything you say, necessarily).

An average drummer...
          OK, on this front, I have to say, "Hell, no." If Grohl has anything, it's drum talent. He is a fucking good drummer. I play drums. I know a damn good drummer when I hear/see one...and he's fucking good. Too bad he doesn't just stay behind his kit.

I was 10 feet away from Grohl seeing THEM CROOKED VULTURES. I love John Paul Jones and I'm a big QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE fan...and THEM CROOKED VULTURES was a fucking great show. Grohl played like a mother fucker.

But once he gets up and starts singing with that annoying, contrived scream...echh!!

Think about that. Two of his best band mates - in terms of making money - killed themselves for their own brooding drug addictions and Grohl made millions of of them. Now that can be considered genius but under both circumstances it's just fucking sick.
          Yeah, it was pretty tasteless. Some people were raving on about it, like it was the best rock show in the world. It was bullshit. It was Grohl bringing together all these huge names (guys from Queen, Rush, fatass Crisco Kid who some people think actually represents Van Halen...but he doesn't) to play a "big rock show," supposedly in "Taylor's honor." Bullshit. It was a fucking ego-fest for Grohl, so people could see all these names and think, "Dave Grohl is the biggest rock star in the world."

A fucking shit show.

I said it before: REAL tribute shows that actually worked and seemed to happen for all the right reasons are rare...and two I can think of that were actually good were:
          1) The 1992 Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley Stadium
          2) The 2002 Concert for George Harrison at Royal Albert Hall

The focus on both nights was: Freddie OR George. Clapton organized the second one...but he didn't turn it into his own ego-fest, playing all his own material. It was ex-bandmates (Beatles, Wilburys, close friends) playing Beatles & George solo material...and playing it well...tastefully. Monty Python was there because they were actually FRIENDS with George Harrison. It truly felt like a 100% celebration of George Harrison.

I don't know what the fucking Taylor Swift...er...Hawkins show was even supposed to be about. And WHY TWO SHOWS?

Fuck Grohl and his fucking ego.

Grohl is the definition of a asshole riding on the coattails of others talents for personal gain.
          Yep. "Hey, we're filming a gig in England. Let's get Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones onstage and play a couple of Led Zeppelin fans." And people are like, "That's SO cool!" And I was like, "WHY? What the hell do Led Zeppelin have to do with Dave Grohl or the fucking Foo Fighters?"

His own music I find to be unlistenable and recycled.
          I won't say it's the worst music I've ever heard...but it's completely unremarkable. There is NOTHING new in it. Every song sounds the same. Eddie Van Halen once said about AC/DC: "They play the same song over and over again, but it's a great song!" And I can't argue with that (though AC/DC had a lot more variety and creativity when they had Bon Scott in the band). Foo Fighters is the same, except it's a rather unremarkable song. Every song follows that MONKEY WRENCH formula. There's a song of there's called THE PRETENDER. It's just lots of generic riffs and screaming...I don't even know what they're so passionate about. It reminds me of the idea of being in bed with someone who is enjoying themselves a lot more than you. They're like screaming and going, "Yes!" And you're like, "Uh...yeah...this is ok, I guess. What are you SO EXCITED about?"

And if what Roth says about the F A T Wolf Boy are true in terms of owing a shit fuck boat fuck ton of money to his record label...
          Yes. Who the fuck are really buying MAMMOTH records? (A more fitting band name there has never been...Wolfie is so fat, joggers do laps around him for exercise.)

You can't sustain a career being Edward Van Halen's son forever. Who knows what life experience he has? Certainly not enough to write interesting songs. "My dad's dead...wahh!" OK. What else do you have to say? "I like Kentucky Fried Chicken and never share the bucket!" Not very rock 'n' roll.

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN GREW UP IN A HOUSE IN WHICH HIS DAD ADMITTED TO NOT LISTENING TO OTHER MUSIC. That's some sad shit. Last night, I was playing my daughter Hendrix's MACHINE GUN (from the BAND OF GYPSYS album, 1970). I was explaining to her the marriage of Delta blues with electric guitar, the Vietnam War...explaining to her the difference between the rhythm section at the Band of Gypsys shows and the Experience. I really TALK music with her.

To Wolfgang, rock and roll is things like Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters. If that's what you serve into your ears, without much variety, you aren't going to make a very interesting stew.

Van Halen were interesting because Dave made them play lots of dance songs...and promoters made them play Top 40 material. They were learning everything from Rick Derringer to K.C. and the Sunshine Band. If you play and immerse yourself into all sorts of music, your music and style will come out more interesting.

If your biggest influences are people like Mark Tremonti and Dave Grohl, you're going to produce a homogenized paste...

...and THAT is what Wolfgang's music sounds like.

Grohl and Nirvana were shit. Cobain was a fuck monkey junkie that no one at the time gave two fucks about.
          Now here you are full of shit.

Nirvana had a ton of talent that Foo Fighters have never even begun to approach. Yeah, Cobain was a junkie...but some junkies have made great music before they completely wasted away.

Nirvana were heavy...they truly rocked. Their live shows had actual tension. Cobain's songs were consistently catchy...and his lyrics were a lot better than Grohl's.

I don't deify them the way some people do. I, personally, think Soundgarden or STP (two other bands from that era) were BETTER bands. But Nirvana were no slouches.

And Grohl doesn't even begin to approach them.

Grohl made it because everyone felt sorry for him and the market was itching for more Nirvana-like material (AFTER Cobain died). Grohl made a decent debut, people lapped it up. And then...and then...he got a third-rate band with ex-junkie losers like Pat Smear (a footnote in Nirvana's history) and proceeded to make repeated copies of that first album, each time watered down a little more than before.

Grohl is like Wolfgang's pinnacle.

And if Grohl is better than Wolfgang (which he still, sadly, is), then Wolfgang really has NOTHING to offer.
          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Boy, you've sure changed your tune since this post, huh?

If only Van Halen had done a follow-up to ADKOT, I think it would have been a great last hurrah.
            Do you actually have the balls to compare Dave to a "beached whale" considering Wolfgang, Sammy & Michael Anthony have a combined weight that is actually heavier than both Twin Towers used to be?

Dave will be remembered as THE singer in Van Halen. If you look at the band's Top Spotify tracks, MOST of the Top 30 are Dave-era songs. If I ever mention David Lee Roth to anyone who doesn't follow the band, they always say, "Oh, he was the singer in Van Halen."

Do you really think the average human being who mildly follows pop culture is going to give a shit about Dave/Van Halen in their last few years when assessing his place in history? (I saw 50 news stories in the days after Eddie died and I never saw one that mentioned any of his more embarrassing periods, like the joke of a 2004 tour.)

And your assessment of Roth being so shit those last years...give me a fucking break. I watched one of our posters' amazing edit of the final gig at the Hollywood Bowl (multi-cam sync'd with soundboard) and the band and Dave sounded fine.

As for your blaming Dave 100% for leaving the band in 1985...yes, it was a stupid move on his part. His ego was out of control...biggest mistake of his life, I'm sure.

But to 100% blame him is also a fucking joke. He actually suggested "a break," first of all (still stupid)...but have you ever spent giant amounts of time, day after day, with ONE alcoholic, let alone TWO?

One of the things I like about this site is people being allowed to say whatever they want...but I must ask:
            Seriously, if you fucking hate Dave so much, why the fuck do you post here?
            Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              I think we all know the 1985 breakup was a lot more than just Dave "quitting".

And I emphasize breakup - considering that is firmly what it was. Whether or not Dave really 'quit'.
              I was almost going to scold you for even replying to the stupidest post I've read here in a while...

...but then I wasted much more time than you did replying to Nick5150's post.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
                The dickheads at Ultimate Classic Rock are saying in a podcast that DLR was referring to VH albums: https://fb.watch/q3LW1svptY/
                Seriously, Catfish...you have the best avatar on here. It's fucking hilarious!

Where did that particular pic of the ol' enemy (FAB) come from? What is its history?
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Do you listen to Kip Winger every night because he is from Denver?
                  Only on weekends.

Comment

• Catfish
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                    Seriously, Catfish...you have the best avatar on here. It's fucking hilarious!

Where did that particular pic of the ol' enemy (FAB) come from? What is its history?
                    We used to go round and round back in the old Army/DDLR days. I happened across a photo of a heavy-set woman with an 'F' costume because the internet is a mean place, and brought it to a pal here at the Army who was good enough to add a face. I think I should swap it out, though. Ancient history.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Its good to see Main here with some activity from all the Roth Army legends.

Keep at it you sick bastards!
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Now here you are full of shit.

Nirvana had a ton of talent that Foo Fighters have never even begun to approach. Yeah, Cobain was a junkie...but some junkies have made great music before they completely wasted away.

Nirvana were heavy...they truly rocked. Their live shows had actual tension. Cobain's songs were consistently catchy...and his lyrics were a lot better than Grohl's.

I don't deify them the way some people do. I, personally, think Soundgarden or STP (two other bands from that era) were BETTER bands. But Nirvana were no slouches.

And Grohl doesn't even begin to approach them.

Oh dear, do I have to once again educate you Boomer Vomit? Nirvana were corporatized mush. Cobain was one lazy fuck who, say, like me smoked dope all day and sunk deeper into his self-induced depression. The dude was a asshole. Oh yes, everybody give up for the Great Grunge of America which was concocted in board meetings at Geffen Records. Let's all give one hurrah with our last dying breath to the great Kurt Cobain and the magnificent monument of his labors. So odd how that late 80's (Seattle) Sub Pop scene died as quickly as it rose when Cobain signed away his soul to suck corporate dick as he devoted his life to it knowing he was nothing but a tool. No wonder he blew his goddamn brain out of his heroin-infected skull once he realized his mistake

Oh, I know what you're saying all right. Too god damn well. Say something nice about Kurt and his rag-tag corporate rock. I can't. Although if any mention goes to Kurt is that he was a sycophant of Steve Albini and why Albini produced their second album of putrid noise. Cobain was the Jimmy Page of his day - but not really. He grew up around listening to great records (many of them Albini produced). A young creature of his age searching for some angle on his lack of musical originality in between his bouts of getting drunk and masturbating to Queen while his abusive dad counted logs all fucking day in that Cascadia mutant rain. Kurt knew he could not sing worth a shit, Kurt could not play guitar worth a shit, Kurt could not write a song without bloated production that was worth a shit. I don't buy into all the Grunge propaganda. And remember, this was at a time when Nirvana came on the MTV airwaves (more corporate horseshit) when all of your stupid Boomer Vomit comical spandex-sporting hair bands were fading into oblivion after they spent all of their advance on drugs, alcohol and groupies singing high and mighty of songs that dealt with date rape, their small dicks and cocaine abuse. Oh, how you Boomer Vomit must be so proud of your cultural standing in those times, eh?

Anyway, back to Kurt that flanneled fucked Frankenstein with a self-fulfilling death wish. Kurt loooooved his nonconformity musical contemporaries such as the aforementioned Husker Du and a lot of other fucking bands you never heard of but here and now I will take the motherfucking liberty of mentioning some of them to you because I'm cool and you Boomer Vomit will never be cool although the true irony here is there are all Boomer Vomit bands. Ready, you little MTV hipster, you?

Live Skull
                        Naked Raygun
                        Phantom Tollbooth
                        Squirrel Bait
                        Big Black (that one is a given)
                        Antietam
                        Flour (deffo on them)
                        Big Dipper
                        Breaking Circus
                        Great Plains
                        B.G.K. (which stood for Balthasar Gerards Kommando - some Euro-trash band)
                        Die Kreuzen
                        Flipper
                        D.O.A.
                        Arsenal (which was Dead Kennedy's bassist Klaus Fluoride's side project)

Oh, I could post more but I also know too well that the attention span of the Boomer Vomit generation limited (that's why they vote Trump). Two major ones were Bitch Magnet - surprisingly produced by Albini and Scratch Acid. Go on, Boomer I dare you, no I FUCKING DARE YOU to listen to this and not see where Kurt stole his shit from. The last 30 seconds of this tune is heavenly bliss to me:

Sounds like Kurt knew where his bread and butter were um, bread and buttered. So you see, you've been duped. It's not your fault. You've been brainwahsed to listen to corporate mush to feel better about about your lack of Boomer cultural existence. Fucking Boomer hippie/80's shit. So sick of it.

Big Bone Lick!

Now guess what!? That's right. Class dismissed.
                        Last edited by Kristy; 02-08-2024, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• nick500
                          Groupie
                          • Jul 2019

Boy, you've sure changed your tune since this post, huh?

Do you actually have the balls to compare Dave to a "beached whale" considering Wolfgang, Sammy & Michael Anthony have a combined weight that is actually heavier than both Twin Towers used to be?

Dave will be remembered as THE singer in Van Halen. If you look at the band's Top Spotify tracks, MOST of the Top 30 are Dave-era songs. If I ever mention David Lee Roth to anyone who doesn't follow the band, they always say, "Oh, he was the singer in Van Halen."

Do you really think the average human being who mildly follows pop culture is going to give a shit about Dave/Van Halen in their last few years when assessing his place in history? (I saw 50 news stories in the days after Eddie died and I never saw one that mentioned any of his more embarrassing periods, like the joke of a 2004 tour.)

And your assessment of Roth being so shit those last years...give me a fucking break. I watched one of our posters' amazing edit of the final gig at the Hollywood Bowl (multi-cam sync'd with soundboard) and the band and Dave sounded fine.

As for your blaming Dave 100% for leaving the band in 1985...yes, it was a stupid move on his part. His ego was out of control...biggest mistake of his life, I'm sure.

But to 100% blame him is also a fucking joke. He actually suggested "a break," first of all (still stupid)...but have you ever spent giant amounts of time, day after day, with ONE alcoholic, let alone TWO?

One of the things I like about this site is people being allowed to say whatever they want...but I must ask:
                          Seriously, if you fucking hate Dave so much, why the fuck do you post here?
                          I don't hate Dave.
                          I don't like his calling the album forgettable.
                          If you were part of it, you were the singer, then some of that blame would fall on your shoulders.
                          Ed did have the worry that no one would care about new music, before they did the new album,in a Guitar World interview he did one time.

A follow up would have been better, but obviously it sounds like Dave did not want to do it.

I know all about spotify,of course the Dave era is superior, if you want to see the list it's here:
                          A website that collects and analyzes music data from around the world. All of the charts, sales and streams, constantly updated.

As for the beached whale, I recognize the folly of my comment and you forgot to add Valerie in there.

I don't know about the Hollywood bowl. There was a soundboard on youtube that wasn't very good vocally.

is there another one?
                          Last edited by nick500; 02-08-2024, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• nick500
                            Groupie
                            • Jul 2019

You must be joking. I got the boot twice for calling Hagar what he is, a good for nothing hack from that assholes vhlink site.
                            I realize now I forgot to put the quote I'm replying to. it was: the Van Hagar fans are here.
                            Last edited by nick500; 02-08-2024, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

You must be joking. I got the boot twice for calling Hagar what he is, a good for nothing hack from that assholes vhlink site.
                              I realize now I forgot to put the quote I'm replying to. it was: the Van Hagar fans are here.
                              I got banned when Ed died and I hurt Bertt's feelings by correctly saying Clichegar was using Ed's death to bring attention to himself. He was and still is.

Comment

• Warham
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

One of my fave albums from the 90s is There Is Nothing Left to Lose by the Foos. When it was just Dave, Taylor and Nate. Love it because it’s laid back.

Comment

Working...