Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roth-of-Halen
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jul 2004

The sister's simply got what they paid for with sam.

Comment

• spmusicplyr
      Foot Soldier
      • May 2004

No dice, baby!

I think the old material is too demanding for daves older voice. Not to say that he's bad, but come on. It's just deeper with age, thats all. Only a 25-35 year old man can sing that kinda stuff. I'm 20 and I can't even sing it after lessons...just something you've gotta be born with..like robert plant.

Sammy is just very very lucky that his voice held up to the point it's at now, or he'd be out too! Well, sam never smoked either...
      Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• lms2

old stuff, maybe, but new stuff, definitely... it could happen. I haven't heard Dave live since 83, so I can't say if he could do the old stuff or not, but in my opinion, he could still do it well enough to put on a hell of a show and then new material would be awesome.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
          Commando
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by spmusicplyr
          Sammy is just very very lucky that his voice held up to the point it's at now, or he'd be out too!
          Yeah... sure.

We've heard the boots.

And, he was second choice. Mearly a one-off hired hand front man for the money grab of a tour.

Hagar never had a great voice, just a decent high range, but not a pleasant one... not in the least today, and his high note is gone like the wind as well.
          <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• AJW
            Head Fluffer
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
            I'm not holding my breath. These idiots have never made a smart decision concerning money when it comes to Dave (I mean the brothers, not Dave). I mean, to not get Dave back partly because they don't want him getting a percentage? And also, to destroy a reunion with Dave in 1996 and get Gary Cherone? Talk about some of the stupidest decisions in music history. Just as Dave thought he was the show in 1985 (although I think in a way, he was), VH think they are the show. And they won't just get Dave back because things aren't selling.

Still, I hope I'm wrong. But at this point, I don't really expect Dave to ever come back. I just want the band to fuck off and stop giving the legacy a worse and worse name.
            Agreed Rikk. Was up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• AJW
              Head Fluffer
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              I doubt Dave is coming back.

Ed's under the sway of Alex. That's enough to keep Dave out of Van Halen.
              I like your Moony comment. One of the best drummers ever to live.

Comment

• ROTHandRoll
                Groupie
                • Jul 2004

The Sisters are all about the money. They burned bridges w/ the promoters because of the half empty seats yet had a big monetary guarantee for the band. The only way they would get the same guarantee or even an increase for another tour would be to tour w/ Dave. Ed (aka Syd Barret) can either lock himself away in his asylum and booze it up till death or make another selfish money grab and take Dave back. I personally think it's over. I thought the Cherone era was an all-time low------looks like this go round is.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ajw
                  I like your Moony comment. One of the best drummers ever to live.
                  Thanks. He certainly was!

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Well...my take on it is this: if Ozzy and Sabbath can work out their differences, there's nothing stopping Van Halen and David from doing the same. Of course, the difference between the two of them is that A) Sabbath's sober; B) There's no Alex Van Halen in Sabbath; and C) There's no Sharon Osbourne middle-management.

If it DOES happen (and I do think it will, to whatever form, sooner or later...public demand is just too overwhelming and the potential payday too big to be ignored), it's NOT going to be the way it could have been, say, 1996. Eddie has had it as a guitarist - short of a miracle, his skills have deteriorated to the point where he could give a fuck about rhythm or song structure , he basically wants to solo and combine 28 songs together to make it "progressive".

Which means, if they write any new material together, because of Ed it's going to dissolve into a meaningless, confusing mess - the same way everything from Van Halen 3 and the three new tracks do. But, miracles can and do happen, and who knows?

The other problem is, of course, age. Listening to the boots available on this site, I think David sounds extremely good considering, but how many more years are going to pass before this comes together again? At what point will his voice be then? I half expect Ed to keel over on stage any day now, anyway...the truth has to be faced, and the truth is these guys aren't going to live forever. So, if it's going to happen, it's going to have to happen in a fairly timely manner. People just have this tendency to slow down as they get older, and are fans going to want to see THE ORIGINAL VAN HALEN REUNITED WORLD TOUR when Ed, Al, Mike and Dave are all 65+ years old? Me, I would say no - Ronnie James Dio is the only vocalist I've ever seen even near that age bracket that still sounds good...but he's probably just a wee bit more (or less) than human anyway....

There's nothing I wouldn't give to be able to actually see MY favorite band, the band I feel I've been robbed of over the last 20 years or so, play live JUST ONCE in my hometown, but if that's the only way it'd happen, I'd have to say no.
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Golden AWe
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tobinentinc
                      I dunno, I did hear a RUMOR Dave and the sisters in 2005. So I dunno I'm keepin my fingers crossed.
                      there has been a rumor like this every year for the last five years...
                      Originally posted by Cato
                      Golden, why are you FAT?
                      Originally posted by lesfunk
                      Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                      http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Mr. G
                        Roadie
                        • Jun 2004

I think it would be a piece of history if dave came back but I actually like Dave's solo stuff better. There is no comprimise in it. You get exactly what dave wants to deliver. He should DO something for gods sake!

Comment

Working...