X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcook11
    Commando
    • Sep 2004

Halen and Hendrix the best?

Sitting here listening to some VH live and how raw Ed was,he and Hendirx are probably the best I've ever heard.
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I'd still put Hendrix above Eddie any day. Eddie was great. But he still had a limited bag of tricks, I feel. In terms of actual guitar playing and overall talent, Hendrix blew him away.

Okay, let the flames begin.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• sambo
      Sniper
      • Jun 2004

I am a old school EVH fan, but Hendrix would have to get the nod. I have an Isle of Wight DVD and Hendrix is simply awesome...
      Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sambo
        I am a old school EVH fan, but Hendrix would have to get the nod. I have an Isle of Wight DVD and Hendrix is simply awesome...
        Amazing DVD. And that wasn't even one of Hendrix's best shows. He was sloppy and plagued by technical problems. Yet it was still amazing!

If you want something really flawless, check out his performance on the JIMI PLAYS BERKELEY DVD. Now that's a performance!!!
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

I'll agree with Rikk, I'll give Hendrix the nod and for the same reason...Ed's done some BRILLIANT shit (especially some of the solos circa 1978-1982), but I have always felt it's borrowed from the same bag of tricks...the tapping, etc...Hendrix gets the slight edge in my book, but emphasis on "slight"...classic Ed's right up there with him...
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• sambo
            Sniper
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
            Amazing DVD. And that wasn't even one of Hendrix's best shows. He was sloppy and plagued by technical problems. Yet it was still amazing!

If you want something really flawless, check out his performance on the JIMI PLAYS BERKELEY DVD. Now that's a performance!!!
            Thanks for the heads up Rikk .. I will look out for the DVD.
            I agree with your comments re Isle of Wight and some of the technical issues, but it just showed, even when sloppy and things are going wrong around him, he is just brilliant.
            Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• DaveTheSoulOfVH
              Head Fluffer
              • Feb 2004

Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
              My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Who's the guy in the middle? He looks familiar...
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• DaveTheSoulOfVH
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2004

EVH has opened the 'guitar shred' era

Comment

• jcook11
                    Commando
                    • Sep 2004

He used to play guitar for the wahbirbungholes

Comment

• badhorsie

"the best"?

No such thing.

Eddie and Jimi are the elite of the fucking elite for the electric guitar.

They both pioneered and changed how guitarists (and other musicians) approach their instruments.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
                        Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
                        My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma
                        Hendrix was much much more than a blues player... shit Manic Depression was a fucking Waltz... The biggest asset of Hendrix's creativity was also in the studio in capturing his sound. He and Eddie Kramer captured and created sounds on simple 4 or 8 track analog systems that are just amazing given the total lack of technology. If you dig into Hendrix's later writing you'll find stuff way beyond the blues.

I wouldn't say Ed reinvented the way guitar is played. All of his tricks were around long before he debuted in 78. What Ed did bring in his song writing was unique chord phrasing embellished with all the tricks you mentioned within his fills and solos. I view Ed as more of a repackager in that he assembled things in a unique way that hadn't been voiced in such a manner before.
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vanstonica
                          Roadie
                          • Jun 2004

I think Ed could play anything that Jimi played....but I don't think the same could be said vice versa. Did Hendrix have the chops to play Eruption?? (that's not intended to be a slight. I've just never been a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix).

Comment

• pete
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by badhorsie
                            "the best"?

No such thing.

Eddie and Jimi are the elite of the fucking elite for the electric guitar.

They both pioneered and changed how guitarists (and other musicians) approach their instruments.
                            Good point.

Comment

• pete
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vanstonica
                              I think Ed could play anything that Jimi played....but I don't think the same could be said vice versa. Did Hendrix have the chops to play Eruption?? (that's not intended to be a slight. I've just never been a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix).
                              Creative guitar playing isn't a sport.

Hendrix's pallette of sounds was much broader the EVH.

And VAI's is ever broader.

I wouldn't say 1 was better than the other.

Comment

Working...