X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    Stellar post dude, but I have to disagree with you here. Dave needed to leave, the music was turning "melancholy" as Dave put it. It's good he got out when he did, while the band was on top.........Anyway, nice to see the first review of a Dave solo album. Great job.
    Thank you, my friend. I still feel that while the band pushed him to it, Dave shouldn't have given such an air of finality to it. But maybe it wasn't fixable...they did fire the band manager without telling Dave. That was pretty shitty.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Halen High
      Commando
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Rikk nails another one (this will almost do.....at least until his definitive take on Fair Warning is posted).

Seem to recall one of the reviews for the DLR Band said it was the greatest Van Halen album released in the last 14 years.

Almost seems like a demo at times in terms of production. Very raw sounding.

Highlights for me:

Slam Dunk - nothing short of a roaring return to form for Dave.

Little Texas - great tune.

King of The Hill - guns and guitars, bikinis and fast cars, slide behind the wheel and go!

Goin' Places - great intro, nice layered buildup of acoustic to electric as the song progresses.

Relentless - remember being startled with the strain in Dave's voice when I first heard this. Talk about singing with conviction.

Blacksand - nothing like a dive into the unexpected at the end of an album loaded with rockers.

About the only quibble I have is that (outside of Slam Dunk) the album has virtually not been represented live at all, and these tunes are made to be taken to the stage.

Gets the most spin time in my CD player along with Eat 'Em in terms of dave's solo work.
      Hey Terry, that review you are talking about was by MTV. That was the first DLR Band review I read. They cheekily (and accurately in my view) said "with very little fanfare David Lee Roth has just released the best Van Halen album since 1984"

Comment

• teamaa104

thank you for that review Rikk, such an album

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by teamaa104
          thank you for that review Rikk, such an album
          You're welcome! Glad you liked the review!
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• rucalobe
            Roadie
            • Jan 2004

Dear Rikk,

Hats off to you, pal! Great review. I concur with your wish of having Dave record a new CD of originals with a couple of nice covers.

Long Live Diamond David Lee Roth.

Rucalobe
            "Dave, these motherfuckers are out of line!!!"

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Brilliant review ! Rikk, you should have become a professional
              album reviewer
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                album reviewer
                Thank you so much, dudes! I'm just glad that I still do professional writing.
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
                  Hey Terry, that review you are talking about was by MTV. That was the first DLR Band review I read. They cheekily (and accurately in my view) said "with very little fanfare David Lee Roth has just released the best Van Halen album since 1984"
                  Knew I had heard it from somewhere, just couldn't remember the source. Yep, can't disagree with that review at all!
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                    You betcha! That'll be next...in a while, after this thread dies out. Followed by EAT 'EM AND SMILE.
                    Totally looking forward to both.

Keep it up!
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      Totally looking forward to both.

Keep it up!
                      Thanks Terry! There's a five-vote for you.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Halen High
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                        album reviewer
                        I was thinking the same, but unfortunately editors will rarely give a journalist enough space to go into the kind of in-depth reviews that Rikk gives us.

Comment

• Halen High
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

Here's a great snippet from a Pop Smear magazine review by Frank Meyer of 'DLR Band'. I'm sure some of you will remember this;

"The bottom line is; Dave has more soul, more passion and more fury in his little pinky than all three members of Bland Halen and their dorky new singer, Fairy Cherone, put together."

Yep, that about sums up the difference between 'DLR Band' and VH3.
                          Last edited by Halen High; 10-21-2004, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• scottydabodi
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

I would definately concur that "DLR Band" is Dave's best solo work to date, although I love "EEAS", and "ALAE" quite a bit as well. I would Pepsi-Challenge "King of the Hill" versus ANY VanHagar song in a quality test ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!
                            If you listen to fools
                            The Mob Rules

Comment

• Vivian Campbell
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Oct 2004

Great Review!

I love this album. The passion in Dave's voice is striking and the lyrics embody his philosophy of taking it easy and having fun - No whiner rock bullshit here. In comparison to the Van Halen albums, I would surely rank this above WACF and Diver Down. None of the songs, with the exception of "And the Cradle Will Rock", on the aforementioned albums can touch the level of greatness that Dave delivers on Slam Dunk, Lose the Dress, Little Texas, King of the Hill, Relentless, and Weekend With the Babysitter. I might be in the minority here, but I even think Weekend With the Babysitter is a much better song than Hot for Teacher.

The only complaint I would lodge is that the album suffers from an excess of songs. Blacklight, Wa Wa Zat!, and Going Places could’ve been left on the cutting room floor.

Anyone know the story behind Dave's choice for the cover art? Interesting that he would choose a 50s "model" with an American flag backdrop. Its very different and eye catching.
                              The Fat Lady is singing for Van Hagar.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attac...&postid=392002

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
                                Great Review!

I love this album. The passion in Dave's voice is striking and the lyrics embody his philosophy of taking it easy and having fun - No whiner rock bullshit here. In comparison to the Van Halen albums, I would surely rank this above WACF and Diver Down. None of the songs, with the exception of "And the Cradle Will Rock", on the aforementioned albums can touch the level of greatness that Dave delivers on Slam Dunk, Lose the Dress, Little Texas, King of the Hill, Relentless, and Weekend With the Babysitter. I might be in the minority here, but I even think Weekend With the Babysitter is a much better song than Hot for Teacher.

The only complaint I would lodge is that the album suffers from an excess of songs. Blacklight, Wa Wa Zat!, and Going Places could’ve been left on the cutting room floor.

Anyone know the story behind Dave's choice for the cover art? Interesting that he would choose a 50s "model" with an American flag backdrop. Its very different and eye catching.
                                That cover always reminded me of the cover of 1984. It's really a great album cover. Mind you, EEAS and SKYSCRAPER also had great album covers.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...