X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Troubles
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Warham
    I can only take so much of Vai's playing.

I can listen to Ed forever.

Classic it is!
    I agree. Vai relies a bit too much on the wah IMO. Ed dazzles with a variety of sounds. Plus Vai is a speed freak, whereas ed uses a style that stands strong on each song. Each lick is very identifiable. All of Steve's shit sounds the same to me.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I think Dave himself benefitted from being in a BAND environment, and having to deal with other people's perspectives and egos.

With Vai and co. (and all of his subsequent bands) Dave called ALL the shots, b/c everyone else is just a hired hand. Ed was able to impose his will on the output much moreso than Vai ever had the right or ability. Plus, in the band situaiton you automatically will have a subconscious desire to impress your bandmates with your very best (if for no other reason, than to keep the concert spotlight shining on you rather than the bass player!!). That ain't gonna happen as much when the other guys are salaried employees.

Also, some people just shine brighter as part of a pack than solo. Could you imagine Bono as a solo act?

As Dave himself said, with him in VH, it's 97% Ed and 97% "moi". The total adds up to greater than the sum of its parts.

Comment

• monkeythe
        Foot Soldier
        • Apr 2004

I've enjoyed every Steve Vai album since he left Dave except the new one.
        I haven't enjoyed an album with Eddie Van Halen since Dave left.

That should put to rest the Vai vs Eddie comparisons.

By the way, I enjoyed EEAS more than CVH because it shows the world where the real talent in Van HAlen was. I was more upset when I found out VAi left to join Whitesnake than when Dave went solo

Comment

• DLR82VH
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2004

I think EEAS is the 7th VH album and it went from there........can they hold up to the Six pack??? No way.

Great albums though
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._lee_roth4.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9...0011zv5.th.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5573/thhy4.th.jpg

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
            Full Member Status

• May 2005

Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
            Nope...the EEAS band was great and they blew VH away from 86-89 but they were no Classic VH!
            i agree........ steve vai just didn't have the fire that Dave and Eddie had, like carmine said EEAS blew anything Van hagar did away........and i like skyscraper as well, it has my fav Dave solo song on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
              Veteran
              • Feb 2005

EEAS is the only DLR album that can hang w/ the 6 IMO

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
                not easy to compare the other albums with CVH as dave chose to go into totally different directions...
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
                  Full Member Status

• May 2005

it doesn't matter who plays guitar for Dave it's all good 'cause it all about Dave always has been and always will be...........it's just Eddie had more chemistry with Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!they ruled the world together.

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
                    Full Member Status

• May 2005

Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
                    the DLR Band album can too.........that album kicked major ass!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2005

Vai has grown on me as THE DLR guitar player. The others DLR guitarists (exepting Ed) kind of copy what Vai did, more so than Ed (exeption Brian Young)

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Gotta tell ya, I dig EEAS on the whole better than 1984.

Not trying to get into a "which one is better" deal, here. Can tell you that stuff on 1984 like the title track, Jump and I'll Wait I totally skip over when I listen to that album now, and Top Jimmy and Panama I'm only so-so about nowadays. So that leaves Hot For Teacher, Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain as the four tracks on 1984 I consider really smokin'.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...