• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Banned
    • May 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
    "It's gay! It's gay!"

You guys seem to forget which band you are dealing with here. The band that took Linda Ronstadts "You're No Good" and made it VanHalenized. Roy Rogers "Happy Trails", Martha & The Vandellas "Dancing In The Streets", Peggy Lee "Big Bad Bill"....

If anyone can change it up, make it a cool rock tune, and a hit...it's Dave & Eddie. Now this is all assuming their creative juices and magic didn't already dry up from non-usage over the years. But Van Halen circa 1981 coulda done a number to this tune.
    I see it this way: Not even Van Halen made something out of Dancing in the Streets. It's the ONLY song with Dave in it that I don't like. In fact, I hate it. I always skip it. Always.

I'm sorry, but Over the Rainbow is just too fucking gay.

Not even Manowar could pull that off. And they've done some shit that would've completely ruined ANY man's reputation forever.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• lesfunk
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I think this would be a really good Van Halen cover. I can just see Dave singing this in his style while Eddie breaks out his little guitar. Great time for dummer & bass player to go backstage and let Dave & Ed shine together for a couple minutes.

Sorry, embedding disabled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I
      You are on fucking drugs
      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
        You are on fucking drugs
        I keep saying that about every one of these kids, but nobody seems to believe me.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Another non-gay cover of "Over the Rainbow".....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Believe it or not, a couple of months ago I was looking for a version of Clapton's take on the song, to compare with Jeff Beck's. So I typed in the search at Youtube, and boom...the page filled up with these Glee videos, including a handful filmed at the White House! In any event, Clapton plays the tune in the predictable, soft jazz style you'd expect. Beck wins, hands down.

Wow, just wow.

That is the best rendition I have ever heard of almost any song, especially "Over the Rainbow"

The rainbow belongs to everyone. If homosexuals bogarted it they need to stop such crass behavior.

I do not believe Eddie has the kind of control over his guitar to accomplish this song. I have not heard enough of of his piano to evaluate him playing this song. I do not know if he plays other instruments that could be used for the solo.

DLR would need to hire a coach, however, with a external evaluator he might have the vocal controls to render this selection his own.
            Last edited by Blaze; 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM.
            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
            sigpic

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
              I'm sorry, but Over the Rainbow is just too fucking gay.
              Originally posted by lesfunk
              You are on fucking drugs
              Originally posted by Little Texan
              I'm sorry, but that's a gay idea for a cover.

Apparently good enough for Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Frank Sinatra, & Ray Charles.

Either way, I think it would be cool VanHalenized. If you don't agree, fine. Wanna keep flaming me for it, fuck yourselves. I'm kinda done making an argument over a hypothetical cover tune.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

this song.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                sigpic

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                  I see it this way: Not even Van Halen made something out of Dancing in the Streets. It's the ONLY song with Dave in it that I don't like. In fact, I hate it. I always skip it. Always.

when i first heard d.i.t.s, (when you were about 2 years old, lol!) i wasn't even aware it was
                  a cover tune. so i still like it, and regard all other versions as poor van halen copies!!!

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

sigpic

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

Verily, they should singeth this one.......

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

1 win!

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                          when i first heard d.i.t.s, (when you were about 2 years old, lol!) i wasn't even aware it was
                          a cover tune. so i still like it, and regard all other versions as poor van halen copies!!!

That's how I view You Really Got Me. They really made the cover tunes they did their own...and better.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

That's how I view You Really Got Me. They really made the cover tunes they did their own...and better.
                            damn right mate! and let's not forget how many other legendary bands paid homage
                            to their heros by covering them. led zep, beatles, stones... the list goes on.
                            a well executed cover version becomes accessible and vital to a whole new generation.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

And who can forget this Australian-Canadian collaboration.....?

Comment

• ashstralia
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Feb 2004

^^^^^^^^do not watch^^^^^^^^^^^

thats not fair seshman.
                                i have heard of this travesty, but have managed to avoid soiling eye and ear.
                                and i aims to keep it that way.

Comment

Working...