X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    The upside is that Ray was fucking smokin' on that tune, and the whole vibe is very Van Halen 1ish to me, so it helps strengthen the tune despite what Dave wrote...
    DLR band-album will go down in history as the unnoticed seventh VH album...it's closer to the "roots" than anything else dave did...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
      DLR band-album will go down in history as the unnoticed seventh VH album...it's closer to the "roots" than anything else dave did...
      DLR Band album is just a killer album.

Killer.

About the only tune I didn't really care for on it was Tight, mostly for the chorus, which was just average...

I think Dave went in there and made that one with the idea of replicating the early CVH sound and style very much at the forefront of his mind, and agree that it is closer to CVH than anything else in Roths solo outings...some might say EEAS, and EEAS was CVHalenesque, but not to the degree DLR Band was...plus, I don't really think by 1986 Ed would have been capable of pulling off some of the things Vai did on EEAS, mostly because he wasn't playing like that anymore (am not saying Vai is 'better' than EVH or anything like that, but you listen to what Ed was doing on 5150 and what Vai was doing on EEAS, it's like Ed started to back off from the guitar heroics at that point),
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• audiospectrum
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        (am not saying Vai is 'better' than EVH or anything like that, but you listen to what Ed was doing on 5150 and what Vai was doing on EEAS, it's like Ed started to back off from the guitar heroics at that point),
        For sure, it was as if Ed was trying to stay out of the spotlight because:

a - he had lost his touch
        b - he was having major drug and alcohol problems
        c - he hired a very mediocre talent in Sammy Hagar. (And this probably explains why there were no video's for the 5150 album, just a live video - to me it seemed like he was trying to stick his head in the sand, hope that the sheep buy the album and he can continue on being 'the greatest guitarist in the world' which just never worked because he underestimated Roth's input and talent.) And Sammy let him live his lazy lifestyle, which affected his creativity.
        I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

I don't give a damn about shitty lyrics, Dave made kickass tunes. Lyrics may suck, but the music is something to groove too or maybe even whoop somebody's ass. It's great stuff man

Comment

• Howlin' Wolf

Been listening to Skyscraper while I'm rollin' down the road in my cold blue steel...and Perfect Timing is starting to sound mo' better all the time...when I firs' started makin' records Ize plowin' four mules on de plantation...

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

i love stand up

Comment

Working...