X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiospectrum
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by trueblue
    'Very poorly written'!!!..huh?.....is that shorthand for 'disagree with you to death' ...i get the feeling that my post was just 'very poorly read' by you...I was far from one-dimensional in my point of view about Dave's musical choices...Read again, and you'll notice that i actually give him credit for having the guts and the honesty to trust his own instincts and take the musical risks that he always did. Especially the sharp detour he took with Diamond Dave (DD) after the heavy rocking DLR Band record....Give DD 5 stars, fine..I might give it 2 stars but at the end of the day we are both DLR fans big-time and Dave deserves fans as diverse as his own musical passions and influences....And hey, i love 5 songs on DD.
    My main point was that i wasn't totally impressed by the overall results of Dave's cover songs fest on the DD album...I just prefer strong originals a lot better anytime...That maybe too arrogant for your types, but at least i'm not thrusting my opinion on you or others or saying that's the way it should be...And not everybody is so super casual about their musical tastes as to make a such a wildly over-the-top remark as 'fuck hard rock', not when we are talking about DLR...If it's "ALL music' in your head, then maybe you would consider hundreds of records out there that fans either hate or don't care much about to be sooooo 'under-rated' too...i love Ice Cream Man(so adorably Dave), i just said that i enjoyed the original version on VH a lot better, Eddie's guitar antics and the overall instrumentals made it a hit for me...You go around in circles when u first say that Brian Young is not necessarily a better guitarist than Eddie, then totally contradict yourself by saying Brian is better than Eddie....You obviously didn't get my point about how pointless it is to compare Brian with Eddie>>different eras, and poles apart in the actual music the two guys helped deliver with their guitars..And you totally lose my respect by proving how deep inside your freakin' veins that scum Sammy has gotten into....Can't you make your point without talking like some Sammy Hagar sidekick...RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW huh??...No wonder your philosophy is "IT'S ALL MUSIC, fuck it!"....
    Well said good sir. I felt guilty the instant I hit the 'post reply' button because I knew I was talking shit. I'd had a shitty week, and I came on here looking to load off on YOU!! You're right, you certainly are entitled to let Dave know you don't like DD. I had another listen last night, and I still love it!! It's such a refreshing album and I like it's production and physicallity(!) a lot better than DLR Band. Dave's voice sounds a lot more in command on DD, and that moment in Blacklight, it's a total Rage Against The Machine rip-off and I can't help but cringe a tad. Still both albums are just magic to my ears, as Dave has probably his best lyrical content on DLR Band, but also his most mature take on the world yet with DD. Look I'd be perfectly happy if you don't even bother with that post, it's one of my lower moments in these forums. Why the fuck should I take it personally? I like it all, as well as so many other diverse bands and music styles. But (whispering behind hand) hard rock, big rock is my cuppa tea for sure.
    As for Brian and Eddie, different eras for sure. I get my kicks listening to both. It's just Ed isn't really around anymore to enjoy. I've built up a lot of bad vibes for Ed over the years. But you're right. He WAS the greatest and I still respect his early work probably more than any other guitarist I've heard.
    So I have no excuses for my post, looking back it just wasn't the real me typing. I let some boneheaded footy-brained alter-ego out of the bag and onto the computer. Please accept my most heartfelt appologies, and I promise to keep it more real in the future. Happy trails...
    I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• audiospectrum
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hecate honey
      Diamond Dave is full of humor and partytime rock n' rolling bluesy tunes. It is very grown up, very knowing 'album' and ahead of the its time in a way.

Whatever Diamond Dave is, it certainly restored my faith in the "classics" that night after sitting through the frustrating Bach performance. If there's one thing Roth is regardless of the tune he's singing, it's classic.
      A toast to a great first post. I think that's what speaks to me on Diamond Dave, it's very knowing!! Well said and welcome to the army.
      I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
        Veteran
        • Jul 2004

Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen...

Comment

Working...