X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I didn't know they still made cassettes.

I was wanting to let a pal hear an old demo cassette recently and had to go out and sit in the car...
    I didn't know cars still had cassette players...

Comment

• rocking ron
      Head Fluffer
      • Sep 2010

A few years ago I drove in an Opel Frontera with radio/dvd & cassette player, not anymore...but still miss that cassette-recorder 'cause my tapes are useless right now

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rocking ron
        ...but still miss that cassette-recorder 'cause my tapes are useless right now
        Try Ebay. Or the local junk yard!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7qatW5tds&NR=1

Comment

• KSTONER
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Jul 2011

Hot damn. I remember it like it was yesterday ....when it was actually last summer....
          I had finally buckled down and got my hands on Best of Vol. 1, got a buddy to spend a whoppin' $2.50 on it. I had been on the fence for a while...I just couldn't bring myself to owning anything with Spambo's voice on it. However, I had purchased YFLM a few months prior and had been on a Dave KICK ever since. I was starved brothers (and sisters!)!

Anyway, after playing the fuck out of the new tunes with Dave (CGTSNM>>MWM imo), I decided it was time to purchase what I'd later call the "8th Van Halen album we never got. (EEAS was the 7th)" Damn....popping that thing into my car's CD player and the opening riff to Slam Dunk!......Gah! I can safely say, that album never left my side throughout the summer. That being said, I could tell it was a rushed production, but for some reason, I loved it that much more. Dave was hungry and God-damn did it show here.

All of that being said...With ADOKT out...I think I may have a new summer album. Good times. Good tunes.

Comment

• Golden AWe
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Goin' Places and Black Sand are top 10 DLR solo tunes...I still larve this album. A true DLR spirit album. Listening to this is like reading Crazy From The Heat - the book.
            Originally posted by Cato
            Golden, why are you FAT?
            Originally posted by lesfunk
            Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
            http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Yount
              Commando
              • Jan 2012

Best years of my life to that album.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Dave being Dave. Fantastical.
                Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                  Best years of my life to that album.
                  I absolutely could NOT have said it better. Seriously. If you only knew how right you are!

Comment

• loucap81
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2012

This is, by far, DLR's best solo album in my opinion. It's the only one that still feels fresh after all these years, and that's probably because it's the closest he ever got to sounding like classic Van Halen. It has its flaws (the strained singing on some of the tracks) and with 14 tracks, not all of them are equally strong, but there's a lot to like. Definitely DLR at his heaviest and the two acoustic numbers (Going Places and Black Sand) that close sides 1 and 2 of the album respectively work beautifully. It's a shame the only song he ever played off it was "Slam Dunk!" and that was only for a handful of shows in 1999.

Comment

• Toddb
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Jun 2010

Have to agree with most of you as the DLR Band is the best VHish recording since 1984. Of course "Truth" is the Ultimate now, but DLR Band is extremely good and Dave could have dropped a couple songs from the list and maybe tamed down the straining on a couple tunes but big deal. Many classics on this recording for sure.

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

1984 to 1998 (DLR Band released) = 14 years.

1998 to 2012 (ADKOT released) = 14 years.

DLR Band was a great album, set right in the middle (LITTERALLY) of actual VH releases with Dave. It's almost as if it was done, strategically, to tide us over.

And something else that's on my mind right now...I remember when DLR Band was released...and MTV saying something to the effect that Dave had just released the best Van Halen album since 1984.

Ahhh, just love that album, and will always keep posting to this thread to keep it alive!

Comment

• fourthcoming

I still can't believe this album only sold about 50,000 copies.....what a shame. This is such an underrated album. I remember buying the single to Slam Dunk and the B side was King of the Hill....I was so pumped for the entire album to come out. So much attitude on this album, and absolutely love John Lowery's playing on it. I was lucky enough to see this tour at a club out in the Hamptons.....phenomenal show....All classic VH and Diamond Dave tunes....but not one song played from DLR Band except Slam Dunk.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2012, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Distribution of the DLR Band album was terrible. It wasn't released anywhere outside of the US and maybe Canada until 2002. And even the record stores that got the CD in may have been staffed by teenage clerks who didn't know that "DLR" meant David Lee Roth, which means they placed the CD in the generic "D" bin rather than next to Eat Em and Smile or Skycrapper or whatever. Dave contributed to this problem himself by putting Betty Page on the cover instead of himself. Not that the cover art was bad... it just wasn't an album cover that easily identified it as a David Lee Roth album unless you actually heard "Slam Dunk" on the radio, and were in the store specifically looking for the CD.

BTW, this album never did get an official release in Hell. I only have a bootleg copy because FORD sent one down to me.
                            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Great fucking record! I know Relentless gets a bad rap around here but damn, that song kicks ass!
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                                BTW, this album never did get an official release in Hell. I only have a bootleg copy because FORD sent one down to me.

Not sure if they'll ship it to where you are, but if not...

...you could always download the entire album.

Comment

Working...