X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
    Loved all the speakers. They went to the roof . I don't think they were all working. Just the bottom row for Ed & Mike. I mean Bass player.
    You are correct. Not the whole bottom row. Some were used as monitors. Most those speakers were just props.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

That wall of speakers was actually a curtain with speakers printed on it. Every so often a breeze would come from somewhere back stage, and the whole thing moved.
      The top rows were and then the projection screen had speakers as one of the scenes it would project. The stage was set up differently according to the venue.

Comment

• CROWBAR
        Commando
        • Sep 2004

Basically, the '84 stage was the same as the '81, with the exception of more lighting and a wider stage with platforms, and a different backdrop. They used the same speakers, but not staggered like in '81, Alex had the gong, although another drum kit, and keyboards. I guess they had some kind of a deal to use a southern California's company logo too. The famous hammer man was (and still is) Western Exterminator's logo.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

It was, without a doubt, one of the biggest productions (stage size both height and width, amount of lights, etc.) I've ever seen for a rock band in an indoor arena.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Wouldn't it be nice to have a pro shot dvd of this tour !!! Fucking Ed.

Comment

• Antman
              Commando
              • Jan 2004

That wall of speakers was actually a curtain with speakers printed on it. Every so often a breeze would come from somewhere back stage, and the whole thing moved.[/QUOTE]

The backdrop with the speakers was from Diver Down. The three bacdrops for 1984 was the sky/clouds with the rigging, hammer guy and the same pattern as the stage floor.
              When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

VH stages became boring and dorky after Dave left the band. The 5150 stage was bland, and then the OU812 stage was completely stupid with the drum riser being a big ass fake cog that looked fake as hell. The VH3 stage was a fucking circus ring. Just dumb shit after Dave.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                  Commando
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  VH stages became boring and dorky after Dave left the band. The 5150 stage was bland, and then the OU812 stage was completely stupid with the drum riser being a big ass fake cog that looked fake as hell. The VH3 stage was a fucking circus ring. Just dumb shit after Dave.
                  Agreed, I had the pleasure of seeing the 84 show in DC and out of curiosity a buddy and I went to the Van Hagar show at the same arena in 86. The HUGE stage production was gone. With Dave's departure, Van Halen went from theatrical, arena rock giants to a top 40 Reo Speedwagon clone. We actually left early, due to extreme boredom.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

We got to see the 84 stage in it's glory during sound check but during the show I was right smack in front of it. Dave's little platform was off to the right of me and he would come out on it and do his thing but everything was up and behind me for the most part. So I was there but really missed the show.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jan 2004

This should be in Main. It's an extremely great change of pace and the best thread I've read in a long while. I'd love to see comparisons of all the VH/DLR stage setups.
                      I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vaijuju

Jeez, don't give up the day job Ed...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Jeez, don't give up the day job Ed...
                          What day job? Demonstrating organs and keyboards trying to impress grandma at the Kerwitzel & Baldwin piano dealership?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Thank God Eddie never played a keytar on stage. He fucked himself badly with VH3 but at least Ed never got crazed enough to go out with a keytar strapped on him.

Comment

• CROWBAR
                              Commando
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
                              This should be in Main. It's an extremely great change of pace and the best thread I've read in a long while. I'd love to see comparisons of all the VH/DLR stage setups.
                              This is the 1980 stage. Had the cool VH lion with shades for a backdrop..

These are from the 1981 Fair Warning tour

The city lights backdrop...

Comment

• CROWBAR
                                Commando
                                • Sep 2004

More 1981...

Gong was lit for this tour, but not for the 1984 one...

Comment

Working...