X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Skyscraper on vinyl

Well, I feel a bit out of focus here, now a VH Tour is being fixed and an album is going to be out within a couple of months, but I found a new vinyl copy of Skyscraper (that was still wrapped) on a second-hand market in town last week, and I only had time to play it this morning.
    I must say it's a blast, really - I've known every moment every song since 1988, but it's like a second discovery, playing it LOUD, the sound is incredible. I'm glad I could find it, because I'll be able to forget the awful sound of my old CD - can't wait till "Two fools a minute" comes!
    The whole stuff really sounds much, much better, especially Sheehan's bass, and even Vai's guitars.

Some records were not made for CD, and Skyscraper belongs to that catagory - now I'll have to find CFTH as well!!

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

agree jerome, skyscraper gets a bagging around here but i think it's brilliant rothvai.

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

hina.... that's possibly the most powerful piece of david lee roth coolness ....

Comment

• SunisinuS
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • May 2010

Originally posted by ashstralia
        hina.... that's possibly the most powerful piece of david lee roth coolness ....
        Agreed. It reminds me of his "Secrets" lyrics.
        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• SunisinuS
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • May 2010

DLR radio.

The world's largest online music service. Listen online, find out more about your favourite artists, and get music recommendations, only at Last.fm
          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

'don't tell me that you love me, you'll hate me for hearing it once i drift away.'

genius.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

used to turn up the title track and watch the speaker cones move...
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

First time listening to Skyscraper at full volume.

Two Fools a Minute is playing and it's near the end and Vai does that crazy tapping move that sounds like he's got 27 fingers on his left hand.
                I turned in amazement and looked at my stereo system with amazement like holy shit...

And you know the next thing out of Dave is "Don't be starin' at your stereo...fool!"

The fucker got me. Owned by a recording!

Comment

• Golden AWe
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I have it on vinyl as well. As well as all the VH albums, plus EEAS and ALAE, but I do not have YFLM.

A few years ago I bought some vinyl singles. Now I'm after some japanese copies of VH records and singles...

I recall asking about this before, but how many vinyl VH albums and singles do you have? Does Cato have all the japanese versions? Anybody got a full discography release list in the internet?
                  Originally posted by Cato
                  Golden, why are you FAT?
                  Originally posted by lesfunk
                  Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                  http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                    First time listening to Skyscraper at full volume.

Two Fools a Minute is playing and it's near the end and Vai does that crazy tapping move that sounds like he's got 27 fingers on his left hand.
                    I turned in amazement and looked at my stereo system with amazement like holy shit...

And you know the next thing out of Dave is "Don't be starin' at your stereo...fool!"

The fucker got me. Owned by a recording!
                    Maybe the best song on the album just a pity about that cheesy keyboard.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Skyscraper is one of those albums for me where the production robs the songs of something. Could just be my ears though....
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If you look up the word 'overproduction' in a dictionary of music it just has a picture of the Skyscraper cover...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The lowest point on the album is the start of the second verse of Perfect Timing.

Having a morse code sound in the background of the line 'I tried to send a message' is just fucking unacceptable. A complete world of wrong.

Someone should have shouted NO NO NO NO NO stop this!

Actually I think Billy Sheehan did...

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

I have "CFTH", "EEAS" and "Skyscraper" all on cassette, CD and vinyl. When I first bought "Skyscraper" I played it nonstop. However, for me the only songs on the record that really aged well are, "Knucklebones", "Damn Good" and "Hina."

As I mentioned in another thread I could never fucking stand "Hot Dog And A Shake." I do believe that the first 4 DLR releases are in desperate need of a remastering.
                            I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Check out Billy Sheehan's site from time to time. He puts up rare stuff from years past some of which is interesting.
                              He has a tune he did with Tony McAlpine that was on a Guitar Player flexi-disc from the 80's that was rippin.'

I hit the contact button once and sent a message asking about the Skyscraper demos looking for keyboard free versions but got no reply, not that I was surprised. You never know when he might post an instrumental bit from the SS album. Vai recorded his guitar parts at his own studio where he made his Flexable albums on a Fostex R-8, so maybe that had something to do with the overuse of tracks instead of going for a raw sound.

Comment

Working...