The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BITEYOASS
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I'm surprised Weird Al hasn't thought of a parody yet. He'll probably write it about "Fantasy Island" or some shit like that. It might be called "Dee Plane".

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"Toupée Toupée"

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Fan video is excellent...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

According to Blabbermouth, Tattoo will debut at #16 on the Billboard Rock Chart this week. I wonder what Me Wise came in at after its first week of release?
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
            Veteran
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
            According to Blabbermouth, Tattoo will debut at #16 on the Billboard Rock Chart this week. I wonder what Me Wise came in at after its first week of release?
            I answered my own question. Me Wise Magic made its debut at #4 on 10/19/96.
            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

I can't stand the reworked video...can't stand it at all...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                I answered my own question. Me Wise Magic made its debut at #4 on 10/19/96.
                Different era than 1996...not just in music choice, but in how these debuts are made. Based on what's been played on the rock channels here, it should be rated higher...it's getting hourly radioplay...and is the only actual rock song with regular airplay...

Whatever...

I could care a less what OTHER people think about the song anyways....
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  Different era than 1996...not just in music choice, but in how these debuts are made. Based on what's been played on the rock channels here, it should be rated higher...it's getting hourly radioplay...and is the only actual rock song with regular airplay...

Whatever...

I could care a less what OTHER people think about the song anyways....
                  Most notably, MTV not only had a news department with updates a couple times per hour, but they had a tendency to play videos at times other than 3 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                    Full Member Status

• May 2010

I am with Pojo on this, that video made me turn the song off 3/4 of the way thru. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a frame per second, picture of Sam in there, fuck that thing just a bunch of tattoos..wtf!

Granted, movie maker is a fun project and woopie..
                    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      Most notably, MTV not only had a news department with updates a couple times per hour, but they had a tendency to play videos at times other than 3 AM.
                      Well...itunes was the other gamechanger as well...it has completely changed the way people listen to music, and where they listen to it from...which I'm sure is at play in some form or another...

and fucking MTV...hell...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                        I am with Pojo on this, that video made me turn the song off 3/4 of the way thru. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a frame per second, picture of Sam in there, fuck that thing just a bunch of tattoos..wtf!

Granted, movie maker is a fun project and woopie..
                        Finally some sense...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Straight from Diamond Dave Enterprises....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Chart Highlights: Van Halen Jumps Onto Rock Songs With 'Tattoo'

Chart Highlights offers a sneak peek at a select group of Billboard charts every Monday. Find out the top songs, Greatest Gainers and debuts on the surveys listed below.

All our charts are refreshed on billboard.com every Thursday.

Pop Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "We Found Love" Rihanna Featuring Calvin Harris
                            Greatest Gainer No. 6 "Set Fire To The Rain" Adele
                            Debut No. 30 "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" Kelly Clarkson
                            Debut No. 37 "Glad You Came" The Wanted

Adult Contemporary
                            *** No. 1 *** "Someone Like You" Adele
                            Greatest Gainer No. 7 "Mr. Know It All" Kelly Clarkson
                            Debut No. 29 "A Thousand Years" Christina Perri

Adult Pop Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Mr. Know It All" Kelly Clarkson
                            Greatest Gainer No. 5 "Set Fire To The Rain" Adele
                            Debut No. 29 "Drive By" Train
                            Debut No. 40 "Run" Matt Nathanson Featuring Sugarland

Dance/Club Play Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "If It Wasn't For Love" Deborah Cox
                            Greatest Gainer No. 5 "Turn Me On" David Guetta Featuring Nicki Minaj
                            Hot Shot Debut No. 39 "Surrender" Paul Oakenfold Featuring J Hart
                            Debut No. 40 "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" Kelly Clarkson
                            Debut No. 45 "Stilettos" Emii
                            Debut No. 47 "Love, Love, Love." Andres Cuervo
                            Debut No. 48 "Sundown" Chris Lake
                            Debut No. 50 "Turning Japanese" Genevieve Mariko Wilson

Rap Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Ni**as in Paris" Jay Z Kanye West
                            Greatest Gainer/Debut No. 23 "Glory" Jay-Z Featuring B.I.C.
                            Debut No. 25 "Mirror" Lil Wayne Featuring Bruno Mars

Rock Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Lonely Boy" The Black Keys

"Tattoo," the lead single from Van Halen's Feb. 7 comeback album with David Lee Roth, "A Different Kind of Truth," the band's first since 1984's "1984" to feature Roth on lead vocals, blasts onto Rock Songs at No. 16. The song arrives with 4.6 million first-week audience impressions on 78 stations, according to Nielsen BDS.

Hot Shot Debut No. 16 "Tattoo" Van Halen

Debut No. 35 "Simple Song" The Shins
                            Debut No. 48 "No Resolution" Seether
                            Debut No. 50 "Drive By" Train

Alternative Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Lonely Boy" The Black Keys
                            Greatest Gainer/Debut No. 27 "Simple Song" The Shins

Country Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Drink In My Hand" Eric Church
                            Greatest Gainer No. 23 "Drink On It" Blake Shelton
                            Hot Shot Debut No. 37 "Banjo" Rascal Flatts
                            Debut No. 58 "So You Don't Have To Love Me Anymore" Alan Jackson

Latin Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Promise" Romeo Santos Featuring Usher
                            Greatest Gainer No. 6 "Intentalo" 3BallMTY Featuring El Bebeto y America
                            Hot Shot Debut No. 34 "Crazy People" Sensato, Pitbull, Sak Noel
                            Debut No. 38 "Vallenato En Karaoke" Elvis Crespo Featuring Los del Puente
                            Debut No. 46 "The One That Got Away" Katy Perry
                            Debut No. 47 "Set Fire To The Rain" Adele

Regional Mexican Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Te Quiero A Morir" Banda El Recodo
                            Greatest Gainer No. 19 "Tu Ya Eres Cosa Del Pasado" Fidel Rueda
                            Debut No. 33 "Donde Estaras" La Apuesta
                            Debut No. 34 "Marchate" Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda

Latin Pop Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "El Verdadero Amor Perdona" Mana Featuring Prince Royce
                            Debut No. 23 "Dutty Love" Don Omar
                            Debut No. 26 "Crazy People" Sensato, Pitbull, Sak Noel
                            Debut No. 32 "Intentalo" 3BallMTY Featuring El Bebeto y America Sierra
                            Debut No. 35 "Stereo Hearts" Gym Class Heroes Featuring Adam Levine
                            Debut No. 39 "Mi Santa" Romeo Santos Featuring Tomatito

Tropical Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "Promise" Romeo Santos Featuring Usher
                            Greatest Gainer No. 7 "Na, Na, Na, Na, Na" Baby Rasta & Gringo

Christian Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "My Hope Is In You" Aaron Shust
                            Greatest Gainer No. 28 "All This Time" Britt Nicole
                            Hot Shot Debut No. 40 "The Same God" NewSong
                            Debut No. 47 "Good Morning" Mandisa Featuring tobyMac
                            Debut No. 48 "Heartbeat" The Fray
                            Debut No. 50 "All For You" MIKESCHAIR

Gospel Songs
                            *** No. 1 *** "In The Middle" Isaac Carree
                            Greatest Gainer No. 15 "My Testimony" Marvin Sapp
                            Debut No. 25 "Good & Bad" J Moss
                            Debut No. 29 "All Is Well" Troy Sneed

-----------------------------

Good start so far! We'll find out the official result on Thursday.

Comment

• mosh51501984
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Nov 2010

When I worked at EMI we had a PHONE ROOM basically interns hammering the lines to request songs on radio stations. Wonder if they still do that. Well everyone start requesting it

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2004

Tropical Songs? Regional Mexican Songs?
                                WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

Working...