The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Oh, c'mon...

The song sucks...

It's like a bad DLR solo song...

Nothing like Van Halen...

It was complete sabotage to release that crap as the first Van Halen single in 30 years featuring DLR...

Am not quite that negative about the tune, although I would agree that it really just...kinda lumbers along to no particular distinction. It doesn't even have a great guitar solo to punch things up like Jump did, nor does the music build to a climax like Jump did.

When I do listen to ADKOT these days, I give Tattoo and The Trouble With Never a skip.

And yeah, it was a bit odd to release one of the weakest tracks on ADKOT as the lead-off single.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

If the song were never changed from Down In Flames, it would have been a great lead single. I love that song. The swagger, the verse's percussively strummed groove, the more effective chorus, the breakdown after the solo, which of coarse, would be edited from a radio single, it was just a damn solid tune.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Personally, I think songs like Blood and Fire, Big River, You and your Blues, or even As Is would have all fared very well as singles with the right promotion...

I think so, Elvis, I think so...even You and Your Blues, which I'm sort of lukewarm about as a tune, would have been a bit more representative of "hey, Van Halen is back with Roth and ready to rock!" than Tattoo. Or Blood and Fire, with the pre-solo bit where Dave says "told ya I was coming back"...
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Yeah, some parts of those songs give me the =VH= chills...

Tattoo gives me diarrhea...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry

And yeah, it was a bit odd to release one of the weakest tracks on ADKOT as the lead-off single.
            It was sabotage, I say !!

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Tattoo gives me diarrhea...
              Are you sure that's not the Alex Jones SuperTang™??
              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

I think maybe you have the name mixed up with the synthetic paranoid weed you've been smoking...

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

I think maybe you have the name mixed up with the synthetic paranoid weed you've been smoking...
                  Haven't touched the stuff in years. But if I wanted to, Bob Marley grows some unbelievable stuff down here. He's got an amazing system of geothermal powered growing lights (since natural light ain't an option here, of course.)
                  Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                  I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

Comment

• Mushroom
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2009

Bump bitches!
                      Tattoo was played on this date at 11:35pm Hawaii standard time over terrestrial radio on the Big Island.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Mushroom
                        Bump bitches!
                        Tattoo was played on this date at 11:35pm Hawaii standard time over terrestrial radio on the Big Island.
                        I be on Oahu....so you better let me HILO it over here...Waianae outpost awaits!

Was just on Maui last weekend bitches!
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Mushroom
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2009

Awesome! I have been working on the Big Island for 2 months, wrapping up in 3 weeks. I will take some extra time to visit another island. I aleady spent a week on Maui, but all time on the beach. Actually more time in the water than in the sand.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mushroom
                            I already spent a week on Maui, but all time on the beach. Actually more time in the water than in the sand.
                            Poor you. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a train to go by so I could get to a train to take me to a place where I pull hair out of my head.

image.jpg

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              Poor you. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a train to go by so I could get to a train to take me to a place where I pull hair out of my head.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12802[/ATTACH]
                              Look on the bright side...you could be living in a condo, town or gated community here in sunny, bone-headed South Florida, dealing with dullards and yes, still yanking yer hair.

Yup, I share your pain.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Nov 2004

Saw this by chance, looks like Dave (except for the legs), doesn't it?

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

Working...