The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • So this is love
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Etienne
    Either they expect Jump II or Light Up The Sky II as the first single...
    But who the fuck calls the radio station when they don't like a song, I mean I would never even think of picking up the phone to bash a new song on the first listening. I'm so fucking mad, these people don't have ears or what??? Is it b/c our brain is wired differently that we dig VH???
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by if6was9
      OK, but the old intro from unreleased "Down in Flames" has been already used in "You're No Good", so I thought these chords now belonged to YNG and could't be used again in the re-arranged version of DIF. But VH have decided to re-use them, and they sound more like a quotation from YNG than anything else (at least this is how I feel).
      And Richie Blackmore used the chords from SMOKE ON THE WATER for MAN ON THE MOUNTAIN....so what's the big yank?

I mean....if ya can't steal FROM YOURSELF......might as well go back to bed.

Comment

• VanHalener
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

My neighbors may not have purchased this song, but I guaranfuckingtee you they all have just heard it pumping from my garage.

Thank you Cerwin Vega

~OWWWWWW~
        ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Song and video threads have been merged....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Northern Girl
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Simple, but I love it. I like the parts where they reverse the video.

I haven't had MTV/VH1 for over 7 years, so I don't even know the last time I saw a music video.
            Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• Northern Girl
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Song and video threads have been merged....
              Thanks! You had me thinking I lost my mind there for a second.
              Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

Okay so I finally got to hear the entire tune via the video and it's amazing. Any idea why it's STILL unavailable for download on Amazon.com?
                I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Etienne
                  Commando
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by So this is love
                  ... Is it b/c our brain is wired differently that we dig VH???
                  Our brains are in tune with Roth 'N' Roll!

Comment

• bru87tr
                    Commando
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by george
                    Holy shit this tune sounds great with my Bose headphones. Getting ready to go out of town and bought the tune from iTunes earlier. It rips. Ed's guitar is ripping.. You really can hear Wolf's bass too. I swear anyone could recognize Alex's snare a mile away. I'm really happy with this tune..
                    You aren't hearing anything good with bose. Do yourself a favor and get a real rock can, like these Audio Technicas. They sound double the price and are a great rock can.

Shop our collection of premium brands at the most competitive prices. Founded in 1983, we are an authorized dealer for most major brand names.
                    "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• rwc
                      Groupie
                      • Feb 2004

I like it

I downloaded the pre-order deluxe, got the single, listened to it about 5 times now.

I really like it (of course, I'm a bit prejudiced in this domain). This song has the character and soul that was always missing from the Sammy stuff. It reminds me of HAIL.

This song plus STW and Bullethead - well, I'm stoked about this album.

See y'all Feb 18 in Louisville.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

By the way, you can also see this on the new "VanHalenVEVO" Youtube channel....

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

I think I found "Swap Meet Sally."

Did some Googling and found this on an online art gallery for artists to display their stuff...look at the background on the left side...

Originally posted by perilouspete
                          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• 1971Quarter
                            Roadie
                            • Feb 2006

I got me a brand new Oakland scarf right here ... AND A BRAND NEW FAVORITE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Love the song.

Absolutely love it!

VH scored bigtime with this one. I think they created a great radio-friendly tune while keeping with the classic VH elements.

And it doesnt sound dated either -- which can happen to a band who has been around as long as these guys.

Dave sounds great. In keeping with his aged voice I think he has found his comfort zone and it doesn't sound forced - as if he was trying to sing like someone else (like Me Wise Magic). This is Dave at his best - great melodies and lyrics that only Roth can pull off. It is super cool and the groove is sexy. There is feeling and soul that we knew was missing from VH during the Gaygar years -- and its all here, back in all its shining glory.

I also like how they were not tryng to replicate Mike's background vox which I think most thought they would.

And then there's Eddie - who was pretty much down and out from 2000 to 2007 (specifically 2003 where he was reduced to Hobo-like status).

But the King of the Six String is back and wow....he does not disappoint whatsoever. Really digging the solo - perfect. And the whole Down in Flames/You're No Good ending was a nice touch (even the main Down in Flames riff - you can only slightly hear it -- thus Tattoo comes out mostly as a brand new song).

Can't wait for the rest of the album.

Welcome back VAN HALEN!!!
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Matt White
                                • Jun 2004

Mousewife to Momshell flippin KILLS me! Only DAVE!!! Cooler lyrical referance than ANYTHING the Liquor salesman has ever/or will ever write!

Comment

Working...