The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • negative
    Groupie
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
    I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
    MTV is just showing cheesy and embarassing reality shows these days, they really ought to change their name...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
      Guys this is just constructive criticism, no negativity on our part, we love DLR/VH, its in our blood. Its a full course meal, this is the entre and 11 more to come, I know the restaurant is great, been there before.
      Its all good, man.

CVH music always had the uncanny ability to hit the sweet spot, ya know? I think Tattoo does just that. IMO of course.

Maybe in 28 years time everyone will think its a classic. LOL
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• So this is love
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
        Its all good, man.

CVH music always had the uncanny ability to hit the sweet spot, ya know? I think Tattoo does just that. IMO of course.

Maybe in 28 years time everyone will think its a classic. LOL
        Lol yeah! just go back in time when Jump and I'll wait came up I don't remember the chronology of the singles back then but I'm sure a surprise it was....And no I'm not comparing Tattoo to them two. and no classics either for me...but what was the reaction back then from the die hard rockers...???? Lets give them sometime... they probably know what they're doing lol
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Guys...to those who haven't really jived on this tune yet. Let me say this. It took me 20 years before I truly appreciated Push Comes To Shove. And then for a period of 2 years it was my all time favorite song. That's the thing with VH. The songs are constantly moving around on your like-love list.

by the way, right now it's currently Sinners Swing.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• SNIPER
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

Lol yeah! just go back in time when Jump and I'll wait came up I don't remember the chronology of the singles back then but I'm sure a surprise it was....And no I'm not comparing Tattoo to them two. and no classics either for me...but what was the reaction back then from the die hard rockers...???? Lets give them sometime... they probably know what they're doing lol
            I agree with this. Imagine had there been internet when the Jump single came out. LOL.. ...But the 1984 album proved to be full of rockers, I think thats how this will play out.

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

Originally posted by K-tuna
              I bought the single.
              Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).

:P
              Umm, the verses are telling the "stories" and themes from OTHER Peoples Tattoos and Their Ideas for having the tatoo. I am sure some other person Told Dave about his uncle DANNY. Does Dave have an uncle Danny? Nope. Dave does not have an Elvis Elbow tatoo nor a hula ect ect. So he is not telling about HIS politics, he is just talking about moments in time for Other people. Gees, not everything said is literal.

Does Dave right now have his back against the record machine just because he is singing "Jump"?

Makes me wonder if people are even required to take literature classes anymore....
              Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM.
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• So this is love
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

They're currently playing Tattoo here on the radio right now and they're waiting for the peoples reaction...Result 60-40 for, its getting better
                Last edited by So this is love; 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• K-tuna
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2012

@SNIUSINUS'ss...or whatever the fahk you're named.
                  Dude, don't treat me like a moron. I get that ,But i don't need to be force fed union stuff, regardless. It wouldn't be in the song if he wasn't making a point.
                  "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• So this is love
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

You know what Ed's guitar solo is great in Tattoo,Tattoo!!!!!!

Comment

• K-tuna
                      Groupie
                      • Jan 2012

You know what Ed's guitar solo is great in Tattoo,Tattoo!!!!!!
                      Agreed. Guitar and Drums are solid without a doubt.
                      "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Dude, don't treat me like a moron. I get that ,But i don't need to be force fed union stuff, regardless. It wouldn't be in the song if he wasn't making a point.

Sun is in us. same forwards as backwards. Yeah, it fucked with me for a while too. As for the union verse, meh. You may be overthinking it. But yes, I seriously hate when musicians or actors get political. STFU & do your craft. But this verse doesn't bother me. I see it as more of describing a tattoos importance to some people rather than the tramp stamp for fun. You know, union, military, gang, etc....Those type of tattoos carry a lot more meaning than the drunken Vegas one weekend Sonic The Hedgehog smoking a bong tat on your chest. (Yes, a guy I know had that done. Chronic the Hemphog)
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Southpaw
                          Roadie
                          • Jan 2009

Tattoo an Shes The Woman are arena songs meant to get the crowd pumpin their digits in the air with catchy hooks...works for me... STW has a catchier lick though

Comment

• SunisinuS
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • May 2010

Calm Down and read. Re-read it again. He is telling a Story about someone else, not him. If you don't like Artists to mention imagined situations, please, do not ever participate in Art again.

Here just sing this: "My Uncle Tuna Had a tatoo...it said I love Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity too!" Problem Solved for you. Or like Sadaist said, make up your own Tatoo story there, like a gang one

We Golden?

Stay Frosty!

Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM.
                            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

I like it. It's good...

Is it six pack good? No, but it's better than jump, but not as good as say, Thug Pop, for instance...

It kinda has a solo Dave vibe to it, mostly due to the lack of Michael Anthony...

And it is a reworked Down In Flames right down to the guitar solo...

But it's a good catchy tune with cool lyrics...

I give it an eight because it has a good beat and I can dance to it...

Comment

• Jagermeister
                                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by sadaist
                                Sun is in us. same forwards as backwards. Yeah, it fucked with me for a while too. As for the union verse, meh. You may be overthinking it. But yes, I seriously hate when musicians or actors get political. STFU & do your craft. But this verse doesn't bother me. I see it as more of describing a tattoos importance to some people rather than the tramp stamp for fun. You know, union, military, gang, etc....Those type of tattoos carry a lot more meaning than the drunken Vegas one weekend Sonic The Hedgehog smoking a bong tat on your chest. (Yes, a guy I know had that done. Chronic the Hemphog)
                                After reading the lyrics posted by Golden Awe I have this to say. Dave may have really meant that, as he was a paramedic in NYC. Most likely a strong union group. Then again it may have just rhymed out that way. I don't know but I can see the reasoning behind it if he did mean it. I don't see that as being political.
                                Last edited by Jagermeister; 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...