The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catfish
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
    I posted my impression over at Talkbass.com. I will get flamed for sure. I didn't know so many sheep played bass. Oh well, It's getting mostly trounced over there. You'd think MA was Dr. Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Elvis to those dudes. LOL
    Les--to me the song REINFORCES that Ed played bass on all the VH albums, because it sounds the exact same! He's holding Wolf's dick just like he held Mikey's all those years!

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Check out my ass-kissin' thread in main...

Aww shit man. I haven't left this Tattoo thread in days. I need a shower.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Grit
        Roadie
        • Oct 2011

The Union reference doesn't bother me. Unions definitely had their place back in the day when owners did not give a crap about employee's Health, Wealth, etc. and workers fought to earn the right. As far as today, it's certainly debatable so "some of us still do" doesn't mean Dave does, in my view just an observation. My state of Wisconsin is right in the middle of that with our Governor and his recall looming. "TATTOO" is starting to grow on me, it's taken a few listens and I haven't heard it on a good sound system yet so I'm sure it's going to get even better!

Comment

• lesfunk
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
          Les--to me the song REINFORCES that Ed played bass on all the VH albums, because it sounds the exact same! He's holding Wolf's dick just like he held Mikey's all those years!
          To be honest, i kind of assumed that Ed would play bass on the new album anyway. But The Cafe WARF clips show Wolfgang ripping it up live fer sure
          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Somebody probably already mentioned this, but the guitar fade out at the end reminds me a lot of You're No Good, right around the 2:38 mark...
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
              Love it. Listened to it about 10+ times, on computer and through hi-fi at full blast.

But here's the weird thing - just heard it being played on the radio, and Al's distinctive snare 'tonk' comes through more than it did on the big speakers and on the computer!

And it sounds mighty impressive in the middle of all the other stuff they are playing - leaps out as dirty groove thang.

Dave is back.
              Dimwits - as mentioned in last post. It has just been played on 'Planet Rock' in the UK, and - after about 10 mins - the DJ Nicky Horne has just read out a bunch of slag Facebook messages (on the Planet Rock Facebook page) and said he agrees. But,t hen again, if he ever plays VH, he never says anything (never mind anything positive), and had Spammy on his show earlier in the year, kissin his ass.

Fuckin' idiots will never get it. It's these Hagaristas and ChickenShit fans - http://www.facebook.com/planetrockradio
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Grit
                The Union reference doesn't bother me.
                It shouldn't bother anybody. It's not Bruce Springsteen for fuck sake, Its a Rock and Roll Song!
                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• RedEye
                  Groupie
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by K-tuna
                  Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSUES would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point even if that point was a small part of a larger critique.
                  OMG... who gives a flying flip? Do you seriously get your woman parts in a bunch over a single line in a song? Dude you are wound tighter than a nun in a whorehouse. I consider myself conservative and all and I don't worry about what Dave is singing on a tune that makes my toes tap, my head bob and blood pressure rise. Get over your politics and just enjoy it for what it is. Like someone said, this isn't a Rage Against... type song. This is about the types of people he has run into over the years... and their tattoos. Holy smokes. But if you feel the need to go picket a Union meeting because of this song go ahead.

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                    Somebody probably already mentioned this, but the guitar fade out at the end reminds me a lot of You're No Good, right around the 2:38 mark...
                    Guitar fade out at the end is like the intro to Down in Flames - it seems more reminiscent of that, because the earlier bridge section has the same feel as Down in Flames
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Catfish
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
                      They're currently playing Tattoo here on the radio right now and they're waiting for the peoples reaction...Result 60-40 for, its getting better
                      L.A.'s classic rock station (95.5) is playing Tattoo every 95 minutes today \m/

Comment

• K-tuna
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by RedEye
                        OMG... who gives a flying flip? Do you seriously get your woman parts in a bunch over a single line in a song? Dude you are wound tighter than a nun in a whorehouse. I consider myself conservative and all and I don't worry about what Dave is singing on a tune that makes my toes tap, my head bob and blood pressure rise. Get over your politics and just enjoy it for what it is. Like someone said, this isn't a Rage Against... type song. This is about the types of people he has run into over the years... and their tattoos. Holy smokes. But if you feel the need to go picket a Union meeting because of this song go ahead.
                        DUDE, get over your bullsh@t.

Ironically, they picked ONE point I made in a critique and blew it up as well, much like you're doing.

I think Tattoo is kinda weak. I paid for the song, I'll say what I want.

asswipe.
                        Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM.
                        "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• Catfish
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                          To be honest, i kind of assumed that Ed would play bass on the new album anyway. But The Cafe WARF clips show Wolfgang ripping it up live fer sure
                          Sorry to be a wank, but can you link me to these clips? I haven't seen 'em.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

I'm one of those, I don't give a flying fuck what others think or they think about me, i don't seek approval.......if I like, I like it....and I like it, and i like so many different styles of music and expression.........groove, funk, a bit dirty........your head gets moving along to the groove......yes it is different than the classic sound we all know and love, but so far, so good.......does it blow my head off? no......but i dig......a little soul n swagger.........

On you tube, facebook, and elsewhere though out the "internet" where every "person" gets to express their thoughts and think that they matter......there is so much negativity.......i find it funny.......i wonder what folks would think if there was no internet and mass communication? if they were simply by themselves..........that's what i did.......headphones on......repeat, repeat, repeat.......could it be better? i think so.......but i like it......i dig.........it's groove creeps up on you and get down on the funk.....

bring on the rest of the album......

one thing is for certain.................EVERYONE is talking about this...........
                            Last edited by DLR'sCock; 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• saint
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Feb 2004

It´s a good song no doubt I´ve listened to it about 20 times, Its catchy, got a good hook and funny lyrics.
                              I like it and I can´t wait to hear the rest of the songs.
                              I loved what I heard from Cafe Wha? and She´s the woman blow me away. But just like with Jump I
                              don’t think think Tattoo will be my favorite song on the album
                              The best things about it is:
                              The Lyrics, Eddies Guitar solo
                              The fact that we once more get to hear an album from Van Halen With DAVE

The not so great things is that it sounds like a mix of Slam dunk (which is god) and Bad Is Bad (Huey Lewis).
                              The video, its OK but I Guess I really don´t care to much about videos anyway. At least they look like they
                              are having a good time goofing around.
                              I´d also like a little more bass and drums in the mix
                              http://web.telia.com/~u55014187/kor.gif

Comment

• Angel
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

This is what a friend of mine had to say: "I like it, I'm not big on hard rock, but I think it's a good song. Lyrics are really good, they've obviously matured. I mean, "hot for teacher" is a good song but you can both write it and sing it drunk."
                                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Working...