The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
    Guitar fade out at the end is like the intro to Down in Flames - it seems more reminiscent of that, because the earlier bridge section has the same feel as Down in Flames
    Yeah, you're right about that. But all day long I've had the fade at the end of Tattoo stuck in my head and it was like I could almost hear Dave saying something and then You're No Good finally popped into my head. Very similar too.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Catfish
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by saint
      It´s a good song no doubt I´ve listened to it about 20 times, Its catchy, got a good hook and funny lyrics.
      I like it and I can´t wait to hear the rest of the songs.
      I loved what I heard from Cafe Wha? and She´s the woman blow me away. But just like with Jump I
      don’t think think Tattoo will be my favorite song on the album
      The best things about it is:
      The Lyrics, Eddies Guitar solo
      The fact that we once more get to hear an album from Van Halen With DAVE

The not so great things is that it sounds like a mix of Slam dunk (which is god) and Bad Is Bad (Huey Lewis).
      The video, its OK but I Guess I really don´t care to much about videos anyway. At least they look like they
      are having a good time goofing around.
      I´d also like a little more bass and drums in the mix
      That's funny. The first time I heard the chorus I thought, "What the fuck is this, Huey Lewis and the News????"

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I guess I like it better than I liked "Jump" when it debuted. I don't know, just not what I had in mind after waiting 28 years. Hopefully the rest of the album rips. "Tattoo" is definitely not something we will be hearing played at sporting events in 20 or 30 years, like a lot of their other stuff is today. I am sure it will grow on me, but I doubt it will ever be a go to song when I listen to this disc. I would have preferred more of statement from them. Something that just shreds.

Comment

• Full Bug
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          I guess I like it better than I liked "Jump" when it debuted. I don't know, just not what I had in mind after waiting 28 years. Hopefully the rest of the album rips. "Tattoo" is definitely not something we will be hearing played at sporting events in 20 or 30 years, like a lot of their other stuff is today. I am sure it will grow on me, but I doubt it will ever be a go to song when I listen to this disc. I would have preferred more of statement from them. Something that just shreds.
          Great to see you Von!
          Well, we were fed 'Jump' at first, but look how many tunes kicked ass on that album, lets hope that happens here, personally I like the song, but yeah it is by no means a classic.....But I'm not complaining....
          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• 1971Quarter
            Roadie
            • Feb 2006

I've had a few friends give "Tattoo" lukewarm (or worse) reviews. My response is "So? Don't listen to it".

Nobody gives a crap if you're not on board. I'll enjoy the single, album, and tour just as much whether you're down with it or not.

Comment

• So this is love
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Catfish
              That's funny. The first time I heard the chorus I thought, "What the fuck is this, Huey Lewis and the News????"
              lol I wouldn`t have found it funny...Huey Lewis last thing I had in mind, in fact I had Dave solo in mind when I first heard it this morning.
              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Grit
                The Union reference doesn't bother me. Unions definitely had their place back in the day when owners did not give a crap about employee's Health, Wealth, etc. and workers fought to earn the right. As far as today, it's certainly debatable so "some of us still do" doesn't mean Dave does, in my view just an observation. My state of Wisconsin is right in the middle of that with our Governor and his recall looming. "TATTOO" is starting to grow on me, it's taken a few listens and I haven't heard it on a good sound system yet so I'm sure it's going to get even better!

The song definitely sounds better with high-end headphones --- I'm using my new $200 Bose headphones I got for Xmas and the bottom end is fuckin' SWEET in this tune. Cant wait to hear "She's the Woman" with these fuckers.

Dont judge the song based on cheap shit laptop or cell phone speakers --- listen to it to the right way.

Comment

• chuckie lee
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2012

Van halen day in rhode island

Double shot Tuesday here. 2 Van Halen songs at the top of the hour every hour. Cool intros and promos b4 and after songs. Only heard 2 vanhager songs so far all day.. Tattoo at least 8 times.. Great day to be in little Rhody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                    The song definitely sounds better with high-end headphones --- I'm using my new $200 Bose headphones I got for Xmas and the bottom end is fuckin' SWEET in this tune. Cant wait to hear "She's the Woman" with these fuckers.

Dont judge the song based on cheap shit laptop or cell phone speakers --- listen to it to the right way.
                    Yeah, I threw on the good speakers today...fucking danced my ass off!!!
                    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
                      Dimwits - as mentioned in last post. It has just been played on 'Planet Rock' in the UK, and - after about 10 mins - the DJ Nicky Horne has just read out a bunch of slag Facebook messages (on the Planet Rock Facebook page) and said he agrees. But,t hen again, if he ever plays VH, he never says anything (never mind anything positive), and had Spammy on his show earlier in the year, kissin his ass.

Fuckin' idiots will never get it. It's these Hagaristas and ChickenShit fans - http://www.facebook.com/planetrockradio
                      Man i wish u hadnt put that link up , i read some of the comments .....tossers
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• TJMKID
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

I think VH is following the Interscope playbook on this one --- release the "radio friendly" hit just like they did with "Jump". Get the masses intrigued enough to perk up the ears and buy the album. This is Radio Station Marketing 101.

I'll be VERY disappointed if the other songs on the disc aren't heavier than this one. Didnt Ross Hogarth boldly state --- "This album shows the killing side of Van Halen" ???

Comment

• TJMKID
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                          Yeah, I threw on the good speakers today...fucking danced my ass off!!!
                          Hells to the YA!

Who gives a shit if Van Halen didn't throw out their heaviest song off the new album? When have they ever done that with any new album? Just remember that "Jump" and "Pretty Woman" were the first singles released off the previous two Roth-era albums ---- NO WAY those are close to being the heavy songs on those LPs.

This is Dave's marketing genius at work --- whet the appetite of the broadest audience and they will discover the real treats once they buy the disc.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by TJMKID
                            This is Dave's marketing genius at work --- whet the appetite of the broadest audience and they will discover the real treats once they buy the disc.
                            I don't disagree with this sentiment at all.

I was just hoping after 28 years, to get punched in the face!

I am sure there will be some gems in the bunch.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

For those of us who bought 1984 back when it came out, think about when you first heard Drop Dead Legs......after only knowing JUMP......this album will have the bad ass riffs that everyone craves from Ed.......

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

I don't disagree with this sentiment at all.

I was just hoping after 28 years, to get punched in the face!

I am sure there will be some gems in the bunch.
                                Maybe this is just the jab so they can knock you out with the album
                                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...